logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cormac  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:25:54 PM(UTC)
Cormac

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Just wondering has anyone used vmix for digital signage applications.
I'm looking basically for a video playlist scheduler that will allow me to put HTML5
graphic overlays with transparency.
Most of the digital signage apps out there are out of date and won't allow a transparent HTML5 page overlay.
I wonder how vmix would cope being run continuously.

Regards
Cormac
kjones9999  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:19:43 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
I do something similar. I find vmix freaks out about once a week. Not bad for 24/7 operation...
micman  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 11:38:56 AM(UTC)
micman

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I use vmix for a different application but I have run vmix continuously for months in a 24/7 stream and have never had an issue.
Cormac  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 6:43:41 PM(UTC)
Cormac

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi I'm really considering it for an outdoor screen . All the digital signage softwares out there are so limited in what they can do.
But at least they let you know when the software has stopped running etc and give you an option for a reboot amongst other things as well as some other reporting .
MediamanNYC  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 7:32:11 AM(UTC)
MediamanNYC

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have been running vMix for signage on a video wall at one of my offices for over a year now. It has been working very well. Nothing complicated. Just a few video files and several web based slide shows. Using the playlist function to run it all. It's is not as full featured and and enterprise capable as most of the signage apps out there but if you are just running a single site and don't mind the lack of a complex scheduling function, it works just fine. I like the idea of being able to replace or update elements without having to shut down the display or stop the playlist. Throw in some cool background template images from Xibo mixed with the multiview functions in vMix and you can create some good looking multi-element displays. You also have access to all of vMix's other input sources other than just videos and slides. For instance live video streams, camera feeds, NDI feeds, tickers and other text feeds from preset files or data feeds like RSS, can be integrated into signage displays. My video wall setup is at a remote site. I access the vMix computer via VNC for management or the built in web interface if I just want to trigger something manually.

If you consider all that vMix can do with signage display, the only think keeping it from official competing with commercial signage apps is enterprise control and management, and a full featured scheduler. I think more functionality could be added if your handy with scripting.

Another plus (in my opinion), it is stand alone. You don't need to subscribe to some service or license to use the system. You don't need internet access to run your signage. (Unless you are using content off the web in your display.)

The only issues I have run into is the power going out at the site or the occasional forced windows update from Microsoft which resets the computer. All the playlists and input source elements are saved so its just a matter of restarting everything. Other than those interruptions, I have not seen a computer or vMix crash running 365/24/7.
yosik  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 7:23:17 PM(UTC)
yosik

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you include UTC, using its clock widget, you could have a nice scheduler function for Digital Signage.