logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
waldron18  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 6, 2017 6:04:29 AM(UTC)
waldron18

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi

I'm just after some advice on scoreboard feeds. I've been wanting to use data sources so someone can manage scores remotely. I was using Google Sheets but keep getting the "too many requests" error when I set the update to frequently.

Does any know or have a scoreboard system that can run on a separate computer and gives a feed into the vMix data sources? Could either run locally or from a website.

Thanks!
thecloudmediagroup  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 6, 2017 6:15:37 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
waldron18 wrote:
Hi

I'm just after some advice on scoreboard feeds. I've been wanting to use data sources so someone can manage scores remotely. I was using Google Sheets but keep getting the "too many requests" error when I set the update to frequently.

Does any know or have a scoreboard system that can run on a separate computer and gives a feed into the vMix data sources? Could either run locally or from a website.

Thanks!

Daktronics boards typically have a serial output. I have a program that I run that takes the serial data and parses it into a CSV that I bring into vMix as a data source. Do you have a scoreboard now?
waldron18  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 6, 2017 8:04:56 PM(UTC)
waldron18

Daktronics boards typically have a serial output. I have a program that I run that takes the serial data and parses it into a CSV that I bring into vMix as a data source. Do you have a scoreboard now?

Sounds interesting! The only scoreboard setup I have at the moment is a spreadsheet that comes in as a datasource. The Google sheet was a no go because of the "too many requests" issue. The spreadsheet concept is still a little annoying as I have to "save" the sheet for changes to take effect in vMix. What program do you use?
thecloudmediagroup  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 7:19:46 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
waldron18 wrote:
Sounds interesting! The only scoreboard setup I have at the moment is a spreadsheet that comes in as a datasource. The Google sheet was a no go because of the "too many requests" issue. The spreadsheet concept is still a little annoying as I have to "save" the sheet for changes to take effect in vMix. What program do you use?

What is the setup for your sporting event right now? Are you in a high school manually entering scores and such?
rudyengels  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 8, 2017 4:23:01 AM(UTC)
rudyengels

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi,

Did you already look at UTC? There's a lot of documentation...

https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=6468

Kind regards,
Rudy
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 8, 2017 9:28:20 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ waldron 18

Managing scoreboards can certainly be a major distraction and 'full time job' during a Live Sporting Event.
Ultimately, you need to find and implement a solution that works best for you in your situation and there are plenty of options and directions to take.
From my perspective, one of the best options is to use a product like "Scorebot" from Sportzcast that connects directly to a scoreboard and 'automates' the whole process.
The next best option is to use OCR software like "OCR Assist" from Graphics Outfitters or the anticipated scoreboard OCR from dundurs.
Next I would suggest vMix UTC as per rudyengels recommendation and link above.
And lastly, using the built-in vMix WebController Titler page, which may not be as convenient or versatile to use but certainly possible.
Just my 2 cents on the matter, hope that offers some possibilities for you.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
kjones9999 on 8/8/2017(UTC)
waldron18  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 2:43:54 AM(UTC)
waldron18

Hi everyone

Thank so much for your help. So I ended up getting one of our guys to build a scoring system. Currently I have a basketball and netball one but will build a soccer and aussie rules one soon too.

It's a web based json file that vmix can read and be mapped to a title through data source. This gets around the Google Sheets "too many requests" issue as I have it updating every 100ms and no issues at all. I'm also getting our developer to turn it into a windows app so it can run locally. I like the idea of web based so now I can get anyone with an internet connection in the stadium to do the scoring.

I'd appreciate feedback!
waldron18 attached the following image(s):
Scoreboard.png (186kb) downloaded 35 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Joeboe  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 4:23:42 AM(UTC)
Joeboe

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 31 post(s)
looks interesting....hope to see it soon....would love to put a soccer scoreboard through some tests......I am using the UTC, and it works great....I even have it setup so that I can trigger any commercials, and then back to the game without having to actually touch any controls on vMix.....I use another PC to do the switching with the control surface from Thecloudmediagroup via NDI....works great......and if I do not have a second PC available, I use a tablet for the control surface.
Potimus  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 9, 2017 3:06:23 AM(UTC)
Potimus

thecloudmediagroup wrote:
waldron18 wrote:
Hi

Thanks!

What type of data is actually coming out of the controller?