logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DynamoBen  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:04:36 PM(UTC)
DynamoBen

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 3 post(s)
shibbycribby wrote:
Is the bridge software tested as working with the latest version of vmix? 20.0.0.27?

Yes. I've not observed any issues with it.

Quote:
...I installed as a trial (fully functional) on this machine would effect anything?

Trial doesn't matter.

What I suspect is going on is the web controller is either disabled or set to a non-default port. Go to Settings | Web Controller it should be enabled and set to port 8088.

BTW If you have a custom port number you can keep it you would just need to use the command line option for the bridge software.
shibbycribby  
#22 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:19:19 AM(UTC)
shibbycribby

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This is part of the instruction readme that stumped me a little bit. The command line commands mentioned, where abouts can you enter these commands? If the python script prompt/exe is run then the command line is locked and doesn't allow text input. The web interface is accessible although its been assigned a dhcp address 192.168.0.17 rather than the 192.168.1.2 listed in the instructions. Luckily none of this should be a problem at work as our network there seems to be fine but would be nice to nail down the cause of this just in case our infrastructure changes.
DynamoBen  
#23 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 1:42:50 PM(UTC)
DynamoBen

shibbycribby wrote:
This is part of the instruction readme that stumped me a little bit. The command line commands mentioned, where abouts can you enter these commands? If the python script prompt/exe is run then the command line is locked and doesn't allow text input.

Instead of running vmixTallyBridge.exe or .py by double-clicking, open a command prompt and enter vmixTallyBridge.exe -p 8080 then hit enter. This applies the command-line options. If you need to set them every time I would create either a simple batch file or desktop shortcut.

Quote:
The web interface is accessible although its been assigned a dhcp address 192.168.0.17 rather than the 192.168.1.2 listed in the instructions. Luckily none of this should be a problem at work as our network there seems to be fine but would be nice to nail down the cause of this just in case our infrastructure changes.

IP shouldn't matter, I am accessing vMix via the computers localhost IP 127.0.0.1. As a troubleshooting step you could specify the assigned IP with the -a command-line option.
Henny  
#24 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 5:03:05 PM(UTC)
Henny

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 20 post(s)
one slight addition to the project I thought of this morning was it wouldn't take much to use the same codebase to do an "ON AIR" light, possibly just add to the Python so any units set to an id of 00 would show the status of recording and streaming from the same XML that you are reading the tally data from .

Planning to try and use my prototype in anger on a real job on Saturday so will report back after that

cheers

Ian
DynamoBen  
#25 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:45:44 PM(UTC)
DynamoBen

Henny wrote:
one slight addition to the project I thought of this morning was it wouldn't take much to use the same codebase to do an "ON AIR" light, possibly just add to the Python so any units set to an id of 00 would show the status of recording and streaming from the same XML that you are reading the tally data from .

Yes I had that thought too, the problem with ID 00 is it is already in use behind the scenes. The approach I was going to take was sending the data on a different multicast address. From a code perspective this is a pretty straight forward change. For hardware I'd slightly modify the tally schematic (maybe introduce relays for high voltage lights) and drop the addressing since it's not needed.

Having a small streaming/recording light would help me because during multi-session events I have had ppl who forget to hit the record button when the session starts. Having a set of LEDs sitting on top of the monitor could be a great visual reminder, right now I have a piece of tape the says "Start Recording" which isn't the best approach. :)

Quote:
Planning to try and use my prototype in anger on a real job on Saturday so will report back after that

Great, looking forward to the report. :)
thanks 1 user thanked DynamoBen for this useful post.
JLMEMT on 5/25/2020(UTC)
Peterv999  
#26 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 11:14:53 AM(UTC)
Peterv999

Hi DynamoBen,

Firstly a big Thanks for your excellent project!

I’m presently proto-building your project and left with one question: Do I need to load the eeprom with the files loaded from your data directory as per instructions? I’ve noticed that your code does interact (write) with the memory with initial values already? I guess I’m overlooking something here?

Kind regards,
Piet
DynamoBen  
#27 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 1:18:43 PM(UTC)
DynamoBen

Peterv999 wrote:
Firstly a big Thanks for your excellent project!

You are very welcome! Looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

Quote:
Do I need to load the eeprom with the files loaded from your data directory as per instructions? I’ve noticed that your code does interact (write) with the memory with initial values already? I guess I’m overlooking something here?

You do, that puts all the jquery files onto the device so you don't need an internet connection to retrieve them. If you don't do this the configuration pages will still load but won't look right. The initial values are independent from this.
DynamoBen  
#28 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 1:01:19 PM(UTC)
DynamoBen

Thanks to the pandemic I've been using vMix a fair bit along with these tally lights. I've been considering updating the project so that you could connect these lights directly to vMix. While not nearly as configurable or flexible they would work like any other tally light connected to vMix and eliminates an additional piece of software. (the current method would still work, this would be an additional feature)

Thoughts? Interest?
thanks 1 user thanked DynamoBen for this useful post.
JLMEMT on 5/25/2020(UTC)
aircooled76@gmail.com  
#29 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2020 8:02:59 PM(UTC)
aircooled76@gmail.com

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Built 5 of these for a show. Super easy, great UI very well thought out project.

Thanks a million!
thanks 1 user thanked aircooled76@gmail.com for this useful post.
DynamoBen on 6/8/2020(UTC)
JLMEMT  
#30 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2020 4:46:28 PM(UTC)
JLMEMT

United States

If I can get VMix fixed I would be interested in the new approach, but at this point it looks like I will be moving on because it no longer works for me.
aircooled76@gmail.com  
#31 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2020 11:58:01 AM(UTC)
aircooled76@gmail.com

Man
Australia

Originally Posted by: JLMEMT Go to Quoted Post
If I can get VMix fixed I would be interested in the new approach, but at this point it looks like I will be moving on because it no longer works for me.

What problems are you having vMix is amazing!
aircooled76@gmail.com  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2020 3:30:30 PM(UTC)
aircooled76@gmail.com

Man
Australia

Originally Posted by: aircooled76@gmail.com Go to Quoted Post
Built 5 of these for a show. Super easy, great UI very well thought out project.

Thanks a million!

So I have tested this with cheaper hardware: a LOL1n NodeMCU Compatible ESP8266 CH340 Board ESP 8266 ($12 AUD on ebay here

Different pin numbering as follows:
D1 is the front tally (GPIO5 on the Huzzah)
D5 os the operator tally (RED Led | GPIO13 on Huzzah)
D7 is the operator preview (RED Led | GPIO14 on Huzzah)
D6 is the reset switch. (GPIO12 on Huzzah)

Hope this helps if someone is making a lot of these, 1/3 the price if it is not cheap enough already :)

(Note in testing it seems there may be a slight latency in the cheaper board compared with the Huzzah, only noticeable with fast switching / fading back and forth, on the fourth or fith fade / switch it reacts a bit slower)

UPDATE: Latency seems to have been fixed by selecting the board type: "Node MCU 1.0 ESP12E" in the Arduino IDE when uploading the firmware. Latency now seems identical to Huzzah based tally.
thanks 1 user thanked aircooled76@gmail.com for this useful post.
DynamoBen on 6/8/2020(UTC)
DynamoBen  
#33 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2020 5:04:54 AM(UTC)
DynamoBen

Sorry for the delay I'm not getting notifications from the forum.

I'm going to get dev hardware set back up and see if I can't add the standard vMix Tally to it. You'll need to provide each tally light the IP for vMix so it can connect but that should be about it. Once this is complete you will have two options for vMix; I'll post here when it's ready.
DynamoBen  
#34 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2020 8:37:03 AM(UTC)
DynamoBen

I just committed a new version of code that allows you to select multicast (the original way) or vMix TCP. If you use the vMix TCP protocol all you have to do is enter the PCs hostname and the vMix port and you are ready to go, no additional application to run or special shot naming.

I've not done a ton of testing yet or updated the readme but it seems to work if you want to try it.

https://github.com/DynamoBen/WIFItally
DynamoBen  
#35 Posted : Saturday, December 5, 2020 2:29:34 AM(UTC)
DynamoBen

I've done some more testing and things are looking good.

I also published a binary here for easy upgrading. To upgrade click the "Upgrade" button in the UI (upper right) then select WIFITally.bin and click "Update," it will upgrade and reboot. NOTE: This upgrade will clear all your settings, they will be all set to defaults and will need to be updated.