logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rjmurdock  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2017 2:50:13 PM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I just picked up a Samson Go Mic Mobile wireless mic kit. I would like to use it's USB audio connection as a mic source when I use vMixCall on my Android smartphone. Is there a way to set this wireless USB mic as the primary mic source on my Android phone before making the vMix Call? OR will vMixCall website app be offering this settings option to set this up in the future?
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 3:01:03 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
RJ,

First, congratulations on surviving Hurricane Harvey. I'm a Houston resident, and saw that you were here for that event.

I've used USB microphones with Android phones/tablets in the past. Some apps are written to "see" them and some simply don't consider that an external microphone is even possible.

The classic case is the default camera app in a stock Android build, like you find on a Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, Pixel or Pixel XL. That app simply can't use an external microphone when recording video.

Other apps, including Open Camera and Cinema FV-5 Camera, are able to access the external microphone.

Those apps have a setting to "Use external mic (if present)" which is the magic. It's conditional, falling back to the built-in mic if no external mic can be found.

With respect to vMix Call...I performed a little test just now, placing a test call using my Pixel and a MiniDSP UMIK 1 USB microphone. The phone seemed to select the USB mic all on its own. So vMix Call also used the USB mic.

I think that on other phones this might not be so easy. There may be value in a vMix Call app for Android, to have explicit control of source devices. This is in part why I created a feature request for an Android Client app.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
rjmurdock on 9/6/2017(UTC)