logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Curt M  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 2, 2017 8:49:06 PM(UTC)
Curt M

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
3 more weeks to go! Monday evenings @ 6:45PM EDT. Next 8/7/17

Streaming live to get more awareness for the non-profit www.feedingtampabay.org.

Basically an Iron Chef format with local chefs.

Third year, but 1st year live streamed, not only YT and FB Feeding Tampa Bay channels, but TampaBay.com and a few others.

I also showed them how to send feed into Channel 1 at the Hotel to broadcast to the Lobby and every room. The Theater only seats 40 people.

vMix 19, Asus GL552VW (32GB/480SSD), 2x Canon HF G30, feed from Theater 2x PTZ camera unit, and iPad with NDI Camera as "walk around."

Exciting bringing some big local players into the TV world!
Curt M  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:19:29 PM(UTC)
Curt M

Man

6 of 7 weeks "in the can."

Week 6 is here:

Comments appreciated on technical or aesthetics.
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 10:36:08 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Curt M

Curious to know what the viewership was like for these events. Looked to be well "choreographed" by a very professional MC who knew how to keep the show rolling which always makes it more watchable and entertaining. All-in-all, I think you did a wonderful job at bringing such an event on-line for the world to see. In terms of constructive criticism (because I think that's what you are asking for) I'll offer these observations; having multiple cameras is great but I think the diversity of shots could have been better. I would have liked to have seen more close-ups and medium shots of the various speakers and judges when they were talking. I'm guessing that it was the house PTZ's that were not quite as sharp as your Vixia's, I might have been inclined to use the one as a wide cover shot and possibly with the other for the multi screen shots such that the quality difference between them and the Canons might not be as noticeable. The audio at times was distorted and inconsistent with levels. And finally, the lighting on the host could have probably been a little better. (I'm also guessing that the sixth camera there was the local tv station's ENG crew gathering footage, not a bad thing, just whenever I see a camera, I'm curious, but that's just me).
I hope I haven't been too brutal, I'm sure you are already quite aware of all of the technical and aesthetic shortcomings of not just this but of all of us who face the same challenges, and therein lies the difference between big budget broadcasts and web streaming on a shoestring...
Keep up the great work Curt, I think you're really on to something here and doing an awesome job of bringing the possibilities of web streaming to the masses.

Ice
Curt M  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 19, 2017 5:40:51 PM(UTC)
Curt M

Man

IceStream wrote:
@ Curt M

Curious to know what the viewership was like for these events. Looked to be well "choreographed" by a very professional MC who knew how to keep the show rolling which always makes it more watchable and entertaining. All-in-all, I think you did a wonderful job at bringing such an event on-line for the world to see. In terms of constructive criticism (because I think that's what you are asking for) I'll offer these observations; having multiple cameras is great but I think the diversity of shots could have been better. I would have liked to have seen more close-ups and medium shots of the various speakers and judges when they were talking. I'm guessing that it was the house PTZ's that were not quite as sharp as your Vixia's, I might have been inclined to use the one as a wide cover shot and possibly with the other for the multi screen shots such that the quality difference between them and the Canons might not be as noticeable. The audio at times was distorted and inconsistent with levels. And finally, the lighting on the host could have probably been a little better. (I'm also guessing that the sixth camera there was the local tv station's ENG crew gathering footage, not a bad thing, just whenever I see a camera, I'm curious, but that's just me).
I hope I haven't been too brutal, I'm sure you are already quite aware of all of the technical and aesthetic shortcomings of not just this but of all of us who face the same challenges, and therein lies the difference between big budget broadcasts and web streaming on a shoestring...
Keep up the great work Curt, I think you're really on to something here and doing an awesome job of bringing the possibilities of web streaming to the masses.

Ice

Ice; Thank you!

Here's some info:

Haven't gotten to numbers beyond 2 wks ago, as I had to miss last week's debrief, but Week 4 had 2600+, from organization. We also embedded at www.tampabay.com, and they hadn't gotten that # yet. In this case, it's a consulting process with client staff to get them into the plan/promote in advance for a live stream. Seems many can do it for events in person, but haven't really seen ppl wrap their heads around the exact same process here, only difference is with what is the specific content: stream vs at this physical address.

I do know this: Week 1, which they didn't publicize hardly at all, using a "Show Me" approach, despite me saying to push it out. By end of night, they had a FB responses of 4 volunteers and also some source provided $500 donation, so for not much advertising, I'd say successful. After final, I am going to ask for results (I suspect they'll send them w/o asking), so I can approach another non-profit who has an ask on GoFundMe, but is getting nowhere with just 1/4ly show and tell meetings at their office. It's a cancer research program, so it's a pretty universal message/opportunity.

Regardless, seating is 40 ppl in the theater and huge, thick doors separate the crowd. Behind me, two lobby TVs are showing it and a reasonable crowd (friends of chefs mostly) are out there. We "hijacked" the in house channel using a 3rd laptop that then is set to YT feed. Goes to every room, too. Not only that, I get there about 4:30, set up in 30-40 minutes, then engage ppl as they walk by. I begin promoting the event, and then convert to pointing the my equipment and talking about the. I know more were interested in the event itself, but 2 ppl asked me for a card.

I concur on camera use. For the PTZs (noted on the frame color, etc diversity), I have to rely on one of the Hotel Staff, who is inside the room, to follow the action. Some nights have been more effective than others. I'm outside the doors, luckily with a tall window, so between sound and a look across the front area, plus seeing vMix input from "camera 3," I try to pick the best shots. "Walk around" iPad as GM has time to come out and get it. He is multi-tasking, too, but reasonably focused on helping make it quality content.

Audio: Yep. Makes my ears hurt. Sound guy, is, like me, outside, so catching some of that is made more difficult. We react as we can. Usually happens when someone talking puts mic almost in their mouth. I will say it's gotten better as the weeks progressed, as Ryaan and I are more acclimated to the players/conditions.

Yes. Stacey Schaible is anchor at local station, so they buzzed in and jumped in front of my camera. I have become attuned to look for other video in a room, so I was kind of surprised, but..I was on far side of glass as they collected their own shots.

The Emcee is a pro speaker and actually trains ppl for such gigs, and he quickly figured we had to keep the conversation running for the outside world. Week 1 had "dead air," so he get research material to fill the gap.

Tip he gave was this: He opens looking into the camera. Effect: Ppl "out there" feel acknowledged, and ppl in the room feel special, as they will see/experience things the virtual audience can't possibly get, and are fine with host talking to outside audience during event.

I have slowly built out my equipment to make it less "on a shoestring," but I know this is the world where I work. I also can work a client strata the "big broadcasters" would never consider, or the client's could afford to come do the job. Topher's (Emcee) class I took was about "find a niche and serve it well." Wide open market right now, but leaning hard to pro is always a good thing.

I'm the guy who likes to hear what can be done better. In a "past life," had a boss who built up about 10" of emotional callouses, and no one can come close to him, so just get to the point and I'm good with that.

I appreciate the time invested to make those excellent observations to help out.

Week 7 I had planned on integrating vMix Social, but the 2 FTB marketing heavy hitters will be off at a conference. Not the less, I buckled down here at home and hammered on that tool so I can use it well now, when I get the next opportunity.