logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Curt M  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 2, 2017 6:31:22 PM(UTC)
Curt M

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Short version: Was onsite for a scheduled event (week 4 of 7) last night, set to stream to YT live window on scheduled so, "hacking" that (see below for the real details). vMix configured and saved night before.

Got on site, set up, opened vMix without any setting loaded, added an audio input (we had significant issues week 3 with sound distortion between sound board and my system), set streaming to my DaCast testing channel, and started to stream (to DaCast - ???? - set it there). My monitor laptop just showed channel was off the air. Stopped the stream in vMix, started it back up and I got my single image and the proper audio in my DaCast.

I then proceeded to load the event file for vMix, which I had set up the day before, to include the YT stream key settings. Seemed pretty normal, but a few minutes later, got a text saying the YT frame said it was blocked for copyright content. Test sound a few minutes before, when I was testing on DaCast, was the DJ music, so we had something to listen to while checking.

I checked the share code/embed on the YT live Now and it now was changed. I scrambled to get that around to the players with embeds just minutes before start time (much more detail on why this happens from my experience using YT below).

Analysis: Even though vMix was only started from a fresh boot, and an image and audio input entered, configured to my logged in and updated DaCast channel (I did the full password login process), I think it first sent to YT, as I had not streaming indication, until I stopped, then checked the DaCast destination and began again.

From a programmers standpoint, I can only guess the "last" settings got hung up on first attempt from booting up and starting vMix.Stopping, restarting the stream did get it live, but since vMizx gave me a red non-blinking stream light both times, it went somewhere on test 1....

Below is the gory, obsessive detail, and I wouldn't have encountered these conditions had I been able to fully employ the streaming event function of YT, but this is a non-profit with "helpers." Read on if you dare...

I am working an interesting project for a non-profit. With that comes some interesting challenges on the use of their YouTube channel, since there are far too many fingers in the pie, but...it may have exposed a bug. I'm one of those insanely detailed guys, who has written some big programs and had to support them, so, bear with me and please chime in if you've seen this, too.

In week 4 of a 7 week series (www.epiccheftampabay.com). This is a chef competition as a fund raiser for www.feedingtampabay.org, where the strange daisy chain of setting occurs:

Decision was made to use the FTB YT and FB sites for maximum support of the charity. Good choice...but:

FTB YT channel wasn't verified for live. I sat with FTB marketing and we stepped through that process but here was the first surprise: It hadn't been used for live by anyone yet, but someone in the set up had connected the YT channel to the Google Hang Outs function.

(Hang in here, this might happen to you!)

I found that out when scheduling an event, as I have done for my fishing tournament client, you cannot upload a custom thumbnail (I put in event splash screen graphics)for an upcoming event, so long as the account is connected to the Hang Outs function. In researching this, an administrator of the big picture google account needs to login and break the connection and any login the charity staff had wasn't it. They even reached out to one of the orignal ppl who helped and they had not way in, either.

I resigned myself to just filling the live window.

I did find, however, if you fill in the time schedule, you can add your graphics and have a URL and share code that corresponds to the upcoming event and it will show a count down to the scheduled time. This gives you some opportunity to look professional, but only for the next show.

Note: If you do any streaming between now and the event, the share code it created than is attached to the next thing you stream (meaning something done before the event). Once you end that stream, the live window (while still holding your graphics) has changed the codes. That also means you can only have the next thing scheduled, not all the upcoming shows.

I set up all my gear the day before, add all my vMix inputs and have the main live now stream key (which is the only way to set up) in place.

As noted above, got the site, dragged the gear in and set up as the last 3 weeks. I rig all the cables/cameras, etc, then fire up the Asus GL552VW laptop. Start vMix, just as the program, and add first an audio input and then an image. Sound board guy and I begin "you hear that?" back and forth until we get it right and leveled properly. Some Micheal Jackson was playing for an input. On site staff for venue is begging for a streaming test. I first say "no - I know after all these years, it's gonna end up ugly." The begging from the guy who got the calls about bad sound the week before keep coming. Letting him listen to my headphones, telling him I heard the bad stuff right there the prior week and was working it didn't stop the requests. I told him it wasn't it went up and got bad. That didn't stop the constant irritation, either.

Finally, I figure I can just put in my settings and try it, then load the event ones afterwards. I open up stream configuration, set to DaCast, enter my password and login and update (this is all from a cold start, mind you). Set up my monitor laptop to watch/listen. Click "Stream" it goes yellow, then red as normal. Longer than a minute, DaCast still showing off the air (I'm used to 30-40 sec delay). vMix is still solid red. I stop the stream, go back to configuration, not entering my password this time, just did a save, then back out to stream (it did show DaCast as the destination on checking). After the normally experienced delay, there the graphic and sound are on my monitor.

Seemed already for the event, so I loaded up the event profile and tweaked the last few graphics they handed me and sat back, 20 minutes to go to kick off.

A few minutes later, I get shown a text from one of the embeded site's owners saying "content blocked" was displayed. I hadn't streamed to YT, yet it had heard copyrighted sound. How? I can only speculate my first streaming test, which indicated solid, yet didn't show up on DaCast, but had gone to the setting last used in vMix, even without loading them, and only the restarting the stream got the connection correct.

I checked the YT live window and the share/embed code had changed. I didn't check deeper then, but when I got home, the video manager did, in fact, show a short file, at the time I was testing to DaCast, and listed as blocked for copyrighted material and had Micheal Jackson music.

If the YT account wasn't connected to the Google Hangout function, I could have listed all seven of the shows, which, as you know, you have to actually start streaming from your YT control room for scheduled events, after it sees your stream coming to them. Since I have to hack the channel to fake up a scheduled show under the Live Now! function, this is a possibility if you use the Live Now between the time you pull the codes out and actually employ it.

As a result of my jumping through the "git 'er done!" hoops, I've stumbled upon what I think is a "feature" in vMix of not fully clearing the stream destination when the program closes.

I'll have some time to play inside my own YT this coming week and see if I can get a replication of the issue.