logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 2, 2017 4:37:54 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Tonight we did a Facebook Live production with two persons driving one car each, on their way to a blind "reversed date". Reversed in the sense that they previously have met the respective parents/friends. Those meeting resulted in VT that we inserted into the show that lasted for about an hour.

We used two Samsung Galaxy S7 over 3/4G connections as "live car cams". While that approach initially seemed like a piece of cake, audio routing turned out to be rather tricky. Same thing for camera/picture-in-picture combos. Required a few test rounds. We ended up using one PC for the main production, and another for interactions with the drivers.

The whole thing can be seen (in Swedish) at Facebook.com/RenaultSE

Besides a few vision mixer mistakes (my fault), it went pretty well :) On the technical side we had a few connection problems, most likely related to the mobile network's capacity.

Next week, June 8 at 19:00 CET we will do it again for the Danish market. Wish us luck...
Video Dave  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 2, 2017 6:16:45 PM(UTC)
Video Dave

Man

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Very cool, Richard.
Good luck on the next one, each should get better and better.
Also, it looks like fun.
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 2, 2017 9:13:06 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ richardgatarski

What an interesting concept!
I'm curious to know a little more about the workflow though (maybe this was explained at the start of the "show", but I don't understand Swedish...).
Being a "blind date", how did the coordination of each of the driver's presentations or "conversation" occur? That is, I assume they were not permitted to "see" each other as per a regular vMixCall, or did they see what we saw (Program Output)?

Ice
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2017 12:23:10 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

What they explain (yes, in Swedish) is that they can hear the producer giving them instructions. The producer could address them individually, or both at the same time. I decided to not give them any visual feedback. Partly because they were driving a car (safety), but also to limit data usage (hence my Feature request for vMix Call Input, Return video source None, but with Return Audio. We ended up sending the a black picture with the call health status as PiP in a corner hidden by the chat window that we did not use, in case the assistant needed to check).

During VT playback they could hear the audio, but we could disable that if the producer needed to talk with the dater. (As have been discussed in other topics here, vMixcall.com is not very good at full duplex - hopefully the newest Chrome beta is better).

About an hour before we went live the producer rehearsed with the drivers, in order to get a smooth start. You have probably noticed that I missed to change shot when Malin spoke for the first time, and that the Intro VT we not properly mixed in. The reason was that I was disturbed by another person who called my attention regarding an issue at the Facebook page (turned out not to be any problem).

Attached is a photo with me as TD on the left, the producer in the middle, and the "ticker master" to the right. If I get clearance I will probably post some behind the scenes videos later on.
File Attachment(s):
vlcsnap-2017-06-02-10h09m45s305.png (2,807kb) downloaded 35 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 11:50:40 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Last Thursday we did a second show, this time the date took place in Denmark. Still produced in our Stockholm studio using vMix Call. And with the help from a Danish reseller of vMix, see if you can figure out who ;)

On a technical side the production went better, it was learning by doing and we had a much better production flow. Also the Danish audience was more engaged. Maybe the couple who dated will be engaged too - you never know...

Here is the video on Facebook.com/RenaulDK