logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HowardAtO  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 6, 2017 2:34:14 PM(UTC)
HowardAtO

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi vMixers - Only my second post, so please go easy on me. :-)

I'm using a vMixGO unit to produce corporate videos, using virtualstudiosets.com.
I've had good success with all the capabilities of using the MultiCorder, mixing, etc.

As a regular user of vMix (on the GO and 2 other laptops), I was very happy to see vMix Call introduced, however...
Having issues on outputting sound for guests in the studio to hear the caller. Here's my scenario:

Two guests in the virtual studio and one guest on vMix Call (without vMix installed).
Need the guests to hear the person on vMix Call *without* wearing headphones or earbuds.

Is there a easy (or hard) way to accomplish this? I'm not wanting to split the headphone jack three ways.
Even if I did, how can I make the guests in the studio just hear the guest without hearing themselves?
Did I mention the feedback the vMix Call user is getting? No I didn't, but think this is caused by that person hearing themselves through their speaker.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated on this matter, as well as a vMix mouse pad. ;-)

Regards,
HowardAtO

DWAM  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 6, 2017 5:20:52 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Howard

this is how I deal with this situation during live events with an audience and speakers on stage. I will adapt for your context.

Requirements:
- 2 soundcards (default + for example an USB device)
- a PA system (amp + loudspeakers)

Audio Outputs:
- Master to your default vMix soundcard
- Headphones (if any) as usual (either on soundcard 1 or 2)
- Bus A to soundcard 2 for PA
- Bus B enabled

Audio inputs:
- a mixer for speakers mics plugged into your default soundcard
- a mic for producer/operator (not absolutely required but useful) plugged into your soundcard 2

Add Inputs
- mixer audio inputs routed to MASTER and Bus B
- producer mic audio routed to Bus B
- vMix Call routed to MASTER and Bus A

Send Bus B to your vMixCaller when adding input

All inputs you want to stream/record must be set to Master (so I guess only producer mic is not set to master)
All inputs you want your remote guest to hear are set to Bus B (with prod mic, you can talk to your remote guest confidently)
vMixCall input and all others inputs (videos for example) you want your guests in the studio to hear are set to Bus A. So their own input is not send back to PA.

Caution. When using a PA in the studio, you must use cardiods mics which won't pick (too much) the loudspeakers. Or you must mix accordingly.

That's it. Hope this is clear enough.

Guillaume
thanks 3 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
HowardAtO on 5/7/2017(UTC), johnduffy on 8/12/2020(UTC), rambo on 10/3/2021(UTC)
HowardAtO  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 2:09:29 AM(UTC)
HowardAtO

Man

Thank you Guillaume! An excellent detailed response, in fact, maybe too much detail. ;-)

In reading all the requirements you suggested, I realized that getting the perfect audio balance is critical,
just wishing it was easier than that. As for an additional soundcard, I believe the vMixGO unit has two.

I do use a 12-channel Yamaha mixer for the lav-mics, but never thought of adding another input for the vMix Call(er).
This makes total sense to control everything going in and out. If only I could control my remote guests' background and lighting as well. :-)

If any other vMix Call users (Martin, Tim) have other audio suggestions, please post them here. Much appreciated!

- HowardAtO
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 5:38:09 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
If only I could control my remote guests' background and lighting as well. :-)

That's what the producer's mic is useful for (aswell as having a test session prior to the production)
I often ask remote guests to move their laptop location, to close the curtains or to bring in more light for example just before they are on air.
In general most of them just don't think about that at all and those who do usually take wrong decisions, like "Oh I thought it was a good idea to be in front the window so that you can see the outside"... Yeah thanks but the backlight is so strong now I just can't see you! ;o)
alberra  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2021 9:49:21 AM(UTC)
alberra

hi
i follow your instructions , i set the bus A and B, but when i try with my Behringer Xenyx Q802usb to send the audio from the guest to the speakers, i hear the audio from the host too.
how i have to set up the sound card?
thanks
Maximus  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2021 3:12:06 AM(UTC)
Maximus

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Hi,
I want to emphasise Guillaume point re using Cardioid mics. Most lavs are omni-directional and will result in reduced audio quality, so with lavs audio management will be crucial.

Maxi