logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jaredquinn  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 2:26:04 AM(UTC)
jaredquinn

Groups: Registered

We utilise a web based Scoreboard Overlay for our productions generated from Carolina Roller Girls Scoreboard (CRG).

The new overlay I've developed for our scoreboard allows the control of a range of overlay features, including turning on/off clocks, score totals, end of periods, rosters and penalty information all retrieved from our scoreboard server. (You can see a demo of the web interface & display we give our producers/announcers here
).

We'd like to use a vMix shortcut to send specific keys to the page that's loaded in a vMix Browser input so that our producer can turn on/off each of the elements from within vMix.

Having to enable the keyboard, press a key and disable it again is a little clumsy for what we could achieve being able to send specific keys.

Our requirement is for a single keypress to be sent to activate our functions, however being able to send a string of letters may be useful in the future.

Jared

DWAM  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 3:03:36 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Jared

maybe you can simply add an extra monitor to your vMix host in order to manage this interface in a browser?

Or use a virtual KVM like Synergy to do it from the vMix host on another laptop/tablet?

My 2 cts
Guillaume
Amokka  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 3:03:53 AM(UTC)
Amokka

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
+1
jaredquinn  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 3:52:35 AM(UTC)
jaredquinn

DWAM wrote:

maybe you can simply add an extra monitor to your vMix host in order to manage this interface in a browser?
Or use a virtual KVM like Synergy to do it from the vMix host on another laptop/tablet?

I can think of a whole range of other uses... mapping page up/down for instance to always do it in the browser would be incredibly useful for almost anyone using the browser.

It's about streamlining the workflow for the vision switcher, they're already doing a lot of things (audio, vision switching, replay, titles),
and taking them away from the vMix interface is something I'm trying to avoid. Additionally if we could do it from shortcuts, we could program our backup control surface (a midi controller which is put in front of our announcers) to do it too.

We currently just leave the control interface up in a browser window on the same computer as vMix and Alt-Tab to it when we want to control it.
Amokka  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 7:32:52 AM(UTC)
Amokka

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
jaredquinn wrote:
DWAM wrote:

We currently just leave the control interface up in a browser window on the same computer as vMix and Alt-Tab to it when we want to control it.

As do we.
In some cases, we even make use of an entirely different person+computer.

But having the ability to send those keys directly, would be less prone to errors and are likely to be useful in a lot of other scenarios as well.
jaredquinn  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 5, 2017 12:21:07 AM(UTC)
jaredquinn

My interim workaround until we can send keys to the browser involves a vMix script.

I activate this script using ESC as a shortcut; which "puts vMix in browser keyboard" mode for the next 1.5 seconds; it is a bit hit and miss and sometimes doesn't work.
It additionally lights up the "LOOP" icon as I wanted a graphical clue that we were in keyboard mode.

Code:

Function=BrowserKeyboardEnabled&Input=Scoreboard
Function=LoopOn&Input=Scoreboard
Sleep 1500
Function=LoopOff&Input=Scoreboard
Function=BrowserKeyboardDisabled&Input=Scoreboard

I call my "WebKeysOnOff", and it's added to the Scripting area of vMix settings.

It would be great to have two user defined "activators" that can be used for alert icons next to STREAM RECORD EXT etc for things like this :)