logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mmmorlandotv  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:40:02 PM(UTC)
mmmorlandotv

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
DWAM wrote:
No GTX...

I understand. You mentioned vMix was optimized for GTX.

But how necessary is it? The user above states he's running on Intel Integrated Graphics.

Ive been reading the other forums, people are using AMD CPU and GPU smoothly.
DWAM  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:55:59 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
My personal experience with an i5 and Intel Integrated Graphics is 85% CPU usage for a single cam via usb3 magewell dongle, few titles and a single 720p stream.
I can't say it's ok.
elvis55  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:41:48 PM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Hello,

I have times VMix on my notebook tested.
The notebook is already 6-7 years old.

HP ProBook 4530s - 15.6" - Core i5 2450M - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD
Processor CPU Intel Core i5 (2nd Gen) 2450M / 2.5 GHz
Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

Intel HD Graphics Family
AMD Radeon HD 7470M

Camcorder Canon Legria HF G25
Capture Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3

VMix Input 1080 50i

Streaming 1280x720 25P

CPU VMix 11% Total 28-32%

Note, for the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3 must be installed in the notebook of the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 chipset, otherwise it will not be recognized.
mmmorlandotv  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 8:59:15 PM(UTC)
mmmorlandotv

elvis55 wrote:
Hello,

I have times VMix on my notebook tested.
The notebook is already 6-7 years old.

HP ProBook 4530s - 15.6" - Core i5 2450M - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD
Processor CPU Intel Core i5 (2nd Gen) 2450M / 2.5 GHz
Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

Intel HD Graphics Family
AMD Radeon HD 7470M

Camcorder Canon Legria HF G25
Capture Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3

VMix Input 1080 50i

Streaming 1280x720 25P

CPU VMix 11% Total 28-32%

Note, for the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3 must be installed in the notebook of the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 chipset, otherwise it will not be recognized.

Thank you for the info!
mmmorlandotv  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 9:35:03 PM(UTC)
mmmorlandotv

sinc747 wrote:
Echoing Guillaume...

+1 i7 laptop with Nvidia graphics card. You can get an ASUS referb on Amazon for $1200ish.

-1 BMD Intensity Shuttle / USB 3.0 has been a problem child. Steer clear.

+1 Magewell USB 3.0 HDMI or SDI dongle

+1 Anything Thunderbolt!

- Tom

Whats the opinion of the BM UltraStudio SDI (using USB 3.0)?

https://www.bhphotovideo...amp;is=REG&A=details

I can probably find one on Ebay for $200 or so.
mjgraves  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2017 2:10:41 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
mmmorlandotv wrote:

So you have integrated intel graphics?

Yes, my Lenovo X1 Carbon is as follows:

- Intel i5-3427U @ 1.8 GHz (boost to 2.3 GHz)
- Intel HD4000 graphics
- 8 GB Memory
- 256 GB SSD

That was max optioned as that model was offered at the time.

The GTX graphics is not an absolute requirement, but it will limit what you can do in vMix. vMix uses the GPU for layering, scaling, etc. With simple shots, limited screen capture, feeding a hangout via webcam emulation works adequately on this laptop.

Incidentally, Woot currently has some decent gaming laptops offered in the $700-850 range. Some are i7 with nVidia GTX.
mmmorlandotv  
#27 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 1:57:15 PM(UTC)
mmmorlandotv

mjgraves wrote:
mmmorlandotv wrote:

So you have integrated intel graphics?

Yes, my Lenovo X1 Carbon is as follows:

- Intel i5-3427U @ 1.8 GHz (boost to 2.3 GHz)
- Intel HD4000 graphics
- 8 GB Memory
- 256 GB SSD

That was as optioned as that model was offered at the time.

The GTX graphics is not an absolute requirement, but it will limit what you can do in vMix. vMix uses the GPU for layering, scaling, etc. With simple shots, limited screen capture, feeding a hangout via webcam emulation works adequately on this laptop.

Incidentally, Woot currently has some decent gaming laptops offered in the $700-850 range. Some are i7 with nVidia GTX.

Ooo...never even heard of that website. Thanks for the tip.

I found an HP Elitebook 8570w for $325. Great condition.

i7 2.7ghz Quad Core
16GB RAM
500GB HDD (Ill swap for SSD)
Quadro K2000M 2GB graphics card

Ill either add a 2nd 500GB HDD and do a RAID or Ill add an SSD.

We'll see.
IceStream  
#28 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 4:55:48 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mmmorlandotv

Be aware that only the latest generation of Quadro P series graphics cards will offer optimal benefits for vMix operation.
The Quadros are high end graphics cards, yes, but not great for gaming, which is the technology vMix takes advantage of (why the GTX are recommended).

Ice
elvis55  
#29 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 5:17:04 PM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
mmmorlandotv  
#30 Posted : Friday, May 5, 2017 10:31:50 AM(UTC)
mmmorlandotv

IceStream wrote:
@ mmmorlandotv

Be aware that only the latest generation of Quadro P series graphics cards will offer optimal benefits for vMix operation.
The Quadros are high end graphics cards, yes, but not great for gaming, which is the technology vMix takes advantage of (why the GTX are recommended).

Ice

Understandable. I think though, if people are doing 720p with Intel integrated graphics, then a Quadro (whatever series it may be) will do the job.

I only mix 2 HD cams. The mixing is done pre-capture card. So its not 2 individual live feeds. Just 1. The most we do is simple titling and small logo at the top.

mjgraves  
#31 Posted : Friday, May 5, 2017 2:09:37 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
mmmorlandotv wrote:
Understandable. I think though, if people are doing 720p with Intel integrated graphics, then a Quadro (whatever series it may be) will do the job.

I only mix 2 HD cams. The mixing is done pre-capture card. So its not 2 individual live feeds. Just 1. The most we do is simple titling and small logo at the top.

Indeed. My existing laptop can do as you describe with the 4-year-old Intel HD4000 graphics.
IceStream  
#32 Posted : Friday, May 5, 2017 5:04:53 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mmmorlandotv

I'm not saying that the card wont work, it's more that it is not designed for gamers and has features and a price tag that don't necessarily benefit vMix. Others have made the mistake of thinking "expensive high end graphics card = better" which is not always the case when it comes to vMix and the Quadros on a price vs performance comparison with the GeForce GTXs. I was just trying to point that out so that your expectations are not overly inflated...

Ice
DWAM  
#33 Posted : Friday, May 5, 2017 5:20:54 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
For $325 I would definitely give it a try!
mmmorlandotv  
#34 Posted : Saturday, May 6, 2017 9:39:55 AM(UTC)
mmmorlandotv

IceStream wrote:
@ mmmorlandotv

I'm not saying that the card wont work, it's more that it is not designed for gamers and has features and a price tag that don't necessarily benefit vMix. Others have made the mistake of thinking "expensive high end graphics card = better" which is not always the case when it comes to vMix and the Quadros on a price vs performance comparison with the GeForce GTXs. I was just trying to point that out so that your expectations are not overly inflated...

Ice

No, I absolutely understand. Dont let the lack of proper communication on a forum confuse you.

I GREATLY appreciate everyones advice.

I wasnt under the impression that a high end Quadro would make vMix broadcast 4k 3D IMAX for me.

When I was picking out cards for my video editing machine...which also turned into my vMix streaming machine...I went through the whole Quadro vs GTX dilemma

My point was that I would shell out on a PC build with proper card but my needs for mobile are quite simple. Im not trying to produce a Michael Jackson concert quality broadcast. Even if I had that equipment on the PC Build at church, I still wouldnt need to do so much lol.

Basically I was just tired of lugging around a monitor + large PC + keyboard & mouse + extension cords to power everything + EVERYTHING ELSE

I just want a simple laptop whether its a 2005 or 2017 in the $300 range that I can take, do a simple 2 Cam mix and put out 720p with very simple titling.

Last night I pushed my PC build to the limits...I had an event at another church and lugged my equipment there. Its an i3-2100.

I did 720 to Youtube, FB and I also did an external output to OBS where the signal was picked up at another location and spread. My CPU was at 85-98%. If I opened up anything else, it would hit 100% and start buffering. So I just left vMix and OBS open and did simple titling, a small PNG graphic and intro/outro videos.

So with that, I think that the $300 laptop I picked up, will serve me well for the simple tasks I do.

Normally I just stream to YT and FB. The external output to OBS was something new because of a peculiar situation.

I first wanted to pick up a used Macbook running and i5 or i7. But for $300-$400 I was only getting Intel graphics. Thats why I was asking about whether or not Intel graphics would be able to handle my situation or not.

mmmorlandotv  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:21:28 PM(UTC)
mmmorlandotv

***UPDATE***

So here's the mobile setup....

HP Elitebook 8570W ($300 eBay)
i7 2.7ghz Quad Core
16GB RAM
250GB SSD
Quadro K2000M 2GB graphics card

Capture Device:

Magewell SDI USB

Camera:

Sony VG-30 HDMI out

So I was finally about to test this. I send out a 1080i59.94 image from my cams via HDMI to my Blackmagic ATEM HD. From my ATEM I go SDI to the Magewell and from the Magewell I go USB3.0 into the Elitebook.

**SIDE NOTE** I had to use 1080i instead of my usual 1080p because the Magewell wasnt playing nice with 1080p. Green image with vertical lines, etc. Contacted Magewell they said that I had a Version 1 of their device which uses 3G-A and apparently the BM ATEM uses B. So theyre sending me version 2 of their device so I can do 1080p****

I was able to get a clean image into vMix just fine and started streaming to Youtube and Facebook at 720p each/1.5mbps. Using very simple titles with the built in title generator option, a PNG logo we set as well.

Total CPU stayed around 16-22% the entire time.

Clean image and good audio. Im very impressed!

Picked up the Elitebook in near perfect condition for $300 on ebay and the Magewell for $150 on ebay too, brand new.

There you have it. It works! Good mobile solution to not carry around a full desktop if youre going out and doing simple streaming!

Anyway questions, feel free to ask!
thanks 1 user thanked mmmorlandotv for this useful post.
mjgraves on 5/31/2017(UTC)
mmmorlandotv  
#36 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2017 11:11:04 AM(UTC)
mmmorlandotv

***2nd Update***

So the reason I had to use 1080i59.94 instead of 1080p59.94 was because of the 3G level A vs level B situation.

Magewell was to send out a version 2 of their SDI to USB, which is nicer because it does 2k now. But I had to send back my original in RMA. The shipping back to China was $100+....Uh..no.

Thankfully though, in the Blackmagic forums, they pushed for both Level A and B support in their switchers and other devices. I updated my ATEM HD and now I have the option to select which level to use. This allowed my Magewell SDI to USB (version 1) to now function in 1080p59.94 perfectly!!

Its a sweet, simple and lightweight setup!

Totally recommend!
duxmedia  
#37 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2017 12:03:24 AM(UTC)
duxmedia

Hello VMix Gurus.. a heartfelt 'namaste' from Bangalore, India.
We are in the process of developing a mobile studio and are considering some laptops for the same.
Use case >> Mixing 1-2 HD-SDI cams (Sonnettech + Decklink Duo) + Epiphan DVIUSB3.0 + Desktop Capture + Vmix Call + Streaming and Recording at 720p50 (although would like 1080 if we can). Ingest of cams will almost always be 1080i50 (PAL)
Thunderbolt is the prime consideration followed by Nvidia 1060 and i7-7700.
We have narrowed down to:
1) ASUS - ROG 502VM: Some issues we are not able to figure is that the online links don't say anything about a thunderbolt 3 connection? Also we hear a lot of issues regarding heat (India is a HOT country with average operating temps of 35-40 deg Celsius with humidity)
2) LEGION Y720: No reports anywhere of how it does as a video/streaming/recording mix unit
3) The Razer Blade (GeForce GTX 1060): No reports anywhere of how it does as a video/streaming/recording mix unit - https://www.amazon.com/d...5324&sr=1-1&th=1
4) MSI GE72MVR APACHE PRO-044: No reports anywhere of how it does as a video/streaming/recording mix unit and we have read a few reports of over heating and less than optimal build quality. - https://www.amazon.com/M...BQZXR/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
5) Macbbok Pro running Bootcamp?? (very expensive though)

This list can go on an on.. (maybe we can dedicate a topic/section to tried and tested laptops)
Size and resolution aren't very important to us
Can anyone please do help us is coming to some decisions?

Much much appreciated..

Rgds,
Supreet
DUX