logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cruiseweekTV  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 9:35:19 PM(UTC)
cruiseweekTV

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
on our last show and in 2 tests I have had very choppy vmix calls from different people, I'm sure it's my end, using a laptop on the same LAN seems to work just fine so it's probably my router, are there any ports or settings I need to prioritize in my router to ensure the best throughput ?

and any other suggestions?
cruiseweekTV  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 9:51:48 PM(UTC)
cruiseweekTV

It's definitely not my connection speed a speed test shows over 100 MB up and down
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 9:43:36 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ cruiseweekTV

What makes you sure it's on your end?
Perhaps it's on their end if the call is choppy, and there are multiple factors that could contribute to that.

Ice

cruiseweekTV  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:08:49 PM(UTC)
cruiseweekTV

IceStream wrote:
@ cruiseweekTV

What makes you sure it's on your end?
Perhaps it's on their end if the call is choppy, and there are multiple factors that could contribute to that.

Ice

because I have tried with 4 separate people, some who I have never had an issue with before, everyone has the same result.

here is a sample video of the issue I'm facing every time
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:38:07 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ cruiseweekTV

Are you able to monitor the data in the vMixCall Manager as it happens?
Also, do you have any tools to monitor your actual bandwidth throughput usage in real time?
You also have a lot going on in terms of compositing in your production, what GPU are you using and what kind of CPU usage are you encountering?
Lots of possibilities that you may have to look into in order to isolate the actual cause...

Ice
cruiseweekTV  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 7:01:13 PM(UTC)
cruiseweekTV

UserPostedImage

yes I cam ( see above)
yes, my bandwidth is nice and low,
it seems to favor video over audio in vmix. it will drop audio packets over the video it seems which would seem backward

cpu is super low 9% used, i have one hell of a power sytem

IceStream wrote:
@ cruiseweekTV

Are you able to monitor the data in the vMixCall Manager as it happens?
Also, do you have any tools to monitor your actual bandwidth throughput usage in real time?
You also have a lot going on in terms of compositing in your production, what GPU are you using and what kind of CPU usage are you encountering?
Lots of possibilities that you may have to look into in order to isolate the actual cause...

Ice

admin  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 9:32:36 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

The high packet loss indicates there is a network congestion issue somewhere between you and the caller.

If you've already run a test on speedtest.net and everything seems fine, try running a test to a different server location
as usually it picks one nearest to you which isn't going to show congestion occurring somewhere else along the way.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
cruiseweekTV  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 23, 2017 9:13:19 PM(UTC)
cruiseweekTV

admin wrote:
Hi,

The high packet loss indicates there is a network congestion issue somewhere between you and the caller.

If you've already run a test on speedtest.net and everything seems fine, try running a test to a different server location
as usually it picks one nearest to you which isn't going to show congestion occurring somewhere else along the way.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Thanks, martin, tried that getting over 100 down and 75 up happened again on the show tonight live, seems to start off ok then go really choppy after 5 mins. it's the 3rd remote guest it's happened with from different parts of the country. no network changes have been made this end
DWAM  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 3:39:37 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Make sure to use a decent router (not a box provided by some ISP) like this one: https://www.pfsense.org/
Use a good gigabit switch
Make sure your ethernet cables are all CAT5e at least, CAT6 better
Do not use Wifi in your productions

thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
mjgraves on 4/24/2017(UTC)
cruiseweekTV  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2017 8:33:30 AM(UTC)
cruiseweekTV

checked every cable, put in a new router, using zoom i don't have an issue to a remote person, using vmix call I'm now getting stutters and jerkiness no matter what their connection is. latest thing i will try is a total re-install of vmix.
IceStream  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:58:03 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ cruiseweekTV

I'm confident the vMix team is interested in getting to the root of your issue (as we all would like to know how to avoid or prevent such stutters), however, I am sure you can appreciate that they are in the midst of the NAB show right now and might not be able to respond for another week or so...
The other consideration, in my estimation, is that AFAIK, the vMixCall server is down under and so the network congestion may be occurring anywhere in the pipeline, which may be slightly different than the Skype or Zoom pipelines. Of course that is just speculation on my part as I really don't know that much about how these things work.
Keep us all updated.

Ice
richardgatarski  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:50:47 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I might be wrong, but as I understand it for webRTC the server at vmixcall.com just initiates the connection. Then the guests sessions are routed directly between their ISP and the hosts ISP. It might be that some of the guest's ISP's does not pass the traffic with sufficient speed for unknown reasons.

An UNEDUCATED guess is that perhaps the ports used according to the "Firewall requirements" are not open, so vMix falls back to the minimum requirement via TCP which means "audio and video will need to be routed via one of our remote servers, so call quality may be reduced as a result".

On a side note, we have noticed that when a guest on a smartphone are connected to our local WiFi network the video stutters. But the same smartphone if connected via 4G is just fine. In both cases the measured bandwith is far beyond what is needed. Probably something in our router...
mjgraves  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:12:17 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:
I might be wrong, but as I understand it for webRTC the server at vmixcall.com just initiates the connection. Then the guests sessions are routed directly between their ISP and the hosts ISP. It might be that some of the guest's ISP's does not pass the traffic with sufficient speed for unknown reasons.

An UNEDUCATED guess is that perhaps the ports used according to the "Firewall requirements" are not open, so vMix falls back to the minimum requirement via TCP which means "audio and video will need to be routed via one of our remote servers, so call quality may be reduced as a result".

On a side note, we have noticed that when a guest on a smartphone are connected to our local WiFi network the video stutters. But the same smartphone if connected via 4G is just fine. In both cases the measured bandwith is far beyond what is needed. Probably something in our router...

This is good thought. WebRTC has various mechanisms for NAT-traversal; STUN, TURN, ICE, etc. Most of these solutions try to work out the IP addresses and ports available at each end, then allow them to connect directly.

However, TURN is a last resort that proxies the media through a server. That's indirect. It adds latency and makes the call subject to the performance of the TURN server and its associated bandwidth.

cruiseweekTV  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 9:19:08 AM(UTC)
cruiseweekTV

Glad to find out im not the only one having the issues a bunch of others are. if seems if vmixcall can't create a direct connection and goes though the server is when the issues come up. if it can establish a direct connection it seems to work fine.

Martin has been give the data and will be working on it after NAB
DWAM  
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 10:01:20 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Hi

if you can't establish peer-to-peer connections for WebRTC there are 2 options on your side:

- your ISP is very bad.
- your router is rubbish.

A third option depending on your remote guests is they're calling from a corporate network (or they're facing the same 2 options I indicated above)

Did you try to replace your router as I suggested before?
What is your router brand/model?

Because it's easy to make sure your remote guest is not behing a corporate firewall when doing tests, this router option is the first thing to check in order to know if the issue could eventually be related to your ISP.

Guillaume
Mathijs  
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 12:04:51 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
If this happens from corporate networks because there is congestion to a server far away, I think it should be more distributed around the world. Some VPS instances connected to key network exchanges should solve this.

Many of us have corporate clients that would like to do live crosstalk between corporate locations. It should not be an excuse for it not to work in those environments, as this is a unique selling point compared to the other options that are out there to do something like this.
DWAM  
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 1:41:23 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

@Mathijs

vMix Call relies on a distributed CDN service on over the world, meaning you will always use the closest server as possible.

Check this post to understand why corporate users may encounter issues using vMix Call:
https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=9532

Guillaume