logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DanielMuhlig  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2011 6:43:11 AM(UTC)
DanielMuhlig

Groups: Registered

Dear forum readers...

Does anyone have any experience connecting secondary monitor out on one PC to an Intensity Pro capture card on another PC?

For instance I need a PowerPoint running on another computer avilable as a 'camera' input in vMix, but I cannot seem to get the signal through.

The 'PowerPoint computer' is a standard desktop computer with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 graphics card. I would like to connect its secondary output to the Intensity Pro capture card on the 'video mixer' computer using a HDMI cable.

I am starting to setup a live video production system for my local church with vMix as the key component. I have also planned to send the output from vMix (from the secondary display on the video mixer computer) to another computers Intensity Pro capture card to feed the mix to the café area, so I really need this to work.

Anyone? Experience? Is HDMI the problem - what alternatives are there?

/Daniel
admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2011 6:58:20 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Daniel,

vMix has built in support for this sort of scenario without requiring extra hardware.
See here for more information:

http://www.vmix.com.au/h...iles/DesktopCapture.html

Regards,

Martin
vMix
DanielMuhlig  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:54:52 AM(UTC)
DanielMuhlig

Well, it might fix the PowerPoint issue, but that was really just an example... :-(

I am planning a setup with 3 computers. One (ChurchPC) that handles the video feed to the main church auditorium, one (CafePC) that handles the video feed to the cafe area and a VideoMixer (VideoMixPC) that creates a live video mix!

VideoMixPC is running vMix and has four IntensityPro cards recieving video from 3 cameras and the output from ChurchPC.

ChurchPC is running EasyWorship and has two IntensityPro cards. One recieving the output from VideoMixPC and one recieving the output from a iMac (running KeyNote). EasyWorship plays the PowerPoint and relays the feeds from the Mac or VideoMixPC output.

CafePC is running EasyWorship and has one IntensityPro recieving the output from VideoMixPC.

Complicated? :-) I can provide a diagram :-)

Anyway - to make the plan work, I must be able to take the output (secondary monitor, HDMI, DVI or something) from one PC and feed it into an IntensityPro card on another computer. All has to be FullHD (1920x1080)

An am aware that it probably is not a vMix issue, but I don't know where else to ask... I have connected the cables in my test setup but I do not get the computer output over into vMix.

/Daniel
crispy1138  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:24:32 PM(UTC)
crispy1138

Daniel,

I believe your problem is a video format issue. Black Magic are "video" capture cards and therefore only recognize standard "video" formats, not PC display formats. Format meaning resolution and refresh/frame rate.

1080 60p (1920/1080 60hz on your PC display) is not a standard video format, and will not be recognized by the HDMI input of the Intensity card. 1080 30p is legit but no good as no PC graphics card can do 30hz. However, 720 60p (1280/720 60hz) is legit and will work. 1080 60i (1920/1080 60hz interlaced) will also work. (my intensity recognizes it as 1080 59.94i) You will need to make a custom 1080i resolution in the Geforce resolution settings.

The 1080i interlaced image looks awful (blurry, jittery) on a flat panel PC display, so as I need to share/split the signal with the Intensity and a flat panel in my situation, I'm looking for a further solution, possibly a scan converter after the split to interlace the signal? Any television/video tech heads out there have a great way to get a 1080 60p DVI/HDMI display output from a PC into a Black Magic capture card?

Cheers,
Cris
DanielMuhlig  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 6:32:34 PM(UTC)
DanielMuhlig

Cris,

Thanks for the info on the resolution. I got it to work with 1080i on the DVI output (never got it to work on the HDMI output), but I'm likely to run into the same 'blurry, jittery' problem. Have you found a solution to that problem?

/Daniel
idiotzoo  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 8:07:40 AM(UTC)
idiotzoo

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Daniel, did you get this working? It's exactly what I want to do. In our case the computer output we want to bring into vMix is a Mac so the screen capture isn't an option.
DanielMuhlig  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 9:33:53 AM(UTC)
DanielMuhlig

idiotzoo wrote:
Hi Daniel, did you get this working? It's exactly what I want to do. In our case the computer output we want to bring into vMix is a Mac so the screen capture isn't an option.

Yes, I got it to work :-)

I have 3 PCs and one MacBook working together now. On the MacBook i have an adapter, that provides me with a standard DVI connector. From there I have a DVI to HDMI cable that connects to the IntensityPro card on a PC. It works perfect! The MacBook has no problems providing a 1080i output signal.

I do the same from the PCs to IntensityPro, but forcing the PC graphics card to deliver a 1080i/50 signal is not an easy task (for me at least).

The blurry/jittery problem that comes from showing an interlaced signal on a computer monitor could not be fixed. I have replaced the PC-monitor with a 22" FullHD FlatScreen TV, and that works nicely.

There is however some quality loss when transferring the video feed between computers. The colors get slightly darker and more brownish and tearing is a problem, but my primary product is the saved video from vMix, and that is good quality. I still have an audio drift problem on the saved video that I haven't been able to fix yet.
idiotzoo  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 10:00:59 AM(UTC)
idiotzoo

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
That's good to hear. I'll be giving this a try when I'm back in work in the new year.

Have a good Christmas all.