logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RichShumaker  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 12:50:23 AM(UTC)
RichShumaker

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
This is the easiest way to explain this,
Bullet Time.

Here is a link to the effect from the Behind the Scenes of the Matrix.
?t=2m30s
Here is a detailed explanation of Bullet Time

I want the ability to load video files or use realtime cameras with vMix with the merge function to move around them.
Currently we have a 2D workspace and we can move between cameras and images(these can be warped and twisted individually) in a 2D plane using the 10 layer multi-view.

I want to break the MultiView into a 3D Plane where the sources can be placed anywhere in 3D, warped and twisted as well.
Then when you merge between sources the camera would move around in 3D.

Thank you for checking this out.

Rich Shumaker
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 12:18:35 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ RichShumaker

I'm not exactly clear on what you are asking, AFAIK, 3D space is available within the "MultiView" feature, what is not available, however, is rotating or changing of the background or main image (you need a program like AfterEffects to create an actual 3D space or alternatively, very expensive Virtual Reality systems).
If, however, you are comfortable with a Black or flat colour BG, you should be able to "Move Around" an "Input" if appropriately placed in 2 different MultiView Inputs and you use the "Merge" transition, it might not be the precise effect you are looking for, as the Merge transition is not really a camera tracking movement, but it is already possible to a certain degree (if I understand you correctly).

Ice

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
RichShumaker on 3/31/2017(UTC)
RichShumaker  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 12:50:28 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
IceStream wrote:
@ RichShumaker

I'm not exactly clear on what you are asking, AFAIK, 3D space is available within the "MultiView" feature, what is not available, however, is rotating or changing of the background or main image (you need a program like AfterEffects to create an actual 3D space or alternatively, very expensive Virtual Reality systems).
If, however, you are comfortable with a Black or flat colour BG, you should be able to "Move Around" an "Input" if appropriately placed in 2 different MultiView Inputs and you use the "Merge" transition, it might not be the precise effect you are looking for, but it is already possible (if I understand you correctly).

Ice

This is a feature request as the current multiview only deals with 2D space.
You can warp and twist the 'content' or 'layer' and you can move things up or down and also change their opacity(I think it is called Alpha except I consider the Alpha channel something else).
With everything I just said the multiview tool is a REALLY powerful realtime graphics engine.
I think it is amazing for doing realtime animation and I can't believe more animators don't use vMix.
Except this is 2D animation and 2D layering.

Since vMix uses the GPU I wondered what 3D options would be available from the GPU.
This is a fundamental shift in how the multiview would work.
Instead of layering things in a 2D fashion you would be placing them in a 3D world.

The camera movement I had not figured out how that might work except maybe the 'position' would actually be a 'camera position'.
Then you would set the camera relative to the content.
Then the merge feature would move seamlessly between the 'camera angles'.

This is NOT a current feature of vMix it is a 'wish list' item and a 'what can the GPU do?' envelope pushing request.
I am exploring the boundaries of the GPU here and finding out can vMix harness that power.

I have explored programs that might be able to do what I am asking about and NONE even attempt to do this in realtime.(caveat this does not include the dedicated systems. i am talking off the shelf stuff like AE or Fusion or Nuke)
The goal of this feature would be to allow people real time 3D feedback.
Think Ballet Dancer or Golfer or Sporting Events.
This is being used at sporting events right now except it is dedicated specialized equipment by the biggest names in the industry.
Eyevision 360 from the superbowl is an example, https://www.wired.com/20...e-interesting-this-year/
And here is a direct video - https://vimeo.com/157809580

This is no small request and would rely on the GPU to be capable to do this.
I also didn't think 5 years ago I could do 10 layer+ realtime animations on my PC at my house.
BUT I CAN and that is all thanks to the amazing software called vMix.

Just like vMix Call is a game changing feature.
This 3D Multiview would be just as big a game changer as it would open up the ability of creators to create stories and capture content in ways we have never seen before.

For anyone that read 360 video above and thought, just go buy one of those cameras.
This is fundamentally the opposite of those cameras.
Think of it as the difference between pointing a camera away from yourself(current '360' cameras) and pointing the camera at yourself to take a selfie.
This is a fundamental shift in how people view VR and 360 video and I get that completely.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my feature request for vMix 42, heheh.

Rich Shumaker