logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
castfeeder  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 19, 2017 5:57:02 PM(UTC)
castfeeder

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Would vMix call be able to work with green screen? What I'm thinking is I bring in the call where the remote 'guest' has a green screen behind and I then add the green screen 'content'. My aim would be to enable this 'guest' to be the show host (bringing in other guests) and I would do the switching remotely. Possible?
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 19, 2017 7:00:07 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Yes, indeedy.

- Tom
thanks 1 user thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
castfeeder on 3/20/2017(UTC)
corporatejames  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 19, 2017 7:16:00 PM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Have the guest on the green screen at their location and then use Vmix at your end to create the chroma key as you would normally if doing it locally.
thanks 1 user thanked corporatejames for this useful post.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 10:10:52 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Nothing prevents you from getting a vMixCall on green screen in vMix. However you are very unlikely to get good results when doing the chroma keying due to the extreme compression ratio on vMixCalls.

Proper chroma keying requires the least compression and the better subsampling as possible. For example, even for post-production (e.g. not streamed workflow), you always get better results with a 4:2:2 signal than with the same shot recorded in H.264. Best is to use uncompressed shots at 4:4:4 subsampling. Expecting chroma keying to work over a streaming signal is a dream.

If you want remote guests on a virtual background I think the only solution that will give good results is to produce the chroma keying on the remote's end with vMix or another solution and then to use Vmix to vMix Call with the background already integrated.

Guillaume
thanks 2 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
mjgraves on 3/20/2017(UTC), castfeeder on 3/20/2017(UTC)
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 12:38:04 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
DWAM wrote:
Nothing prevents you from getting a vMixCall on green screen in vMix. However you are very unlikely to get good results when doing the chroma keying due to the extreme compression ratio on vMixCalls.

Proper chroma keying requires the least compression and the better subsampling as possible. For example, even for post-production (e.g. not streamed workflow), you always get better results with a 4:2:2 signal than with the same shot recorded in H.264. Best is to use uncompressed shots at 4:4:4 subsampling. Expecting chroma keying to work over a streaming signal is a dream.

If you want remote guests on a virtual background I think the only solution that will give good results is to produce the chroma keying on the remote's end with vMix or another solution and then to use Vmix to vMix Call with the background already integrated.

Guillaume

This is great info and often missed. To take something of a tangent, improved sub-sampling is also the reason that you get better 1080p video by down-sampling a 4K source. Even if the 4K does not start out as 4:4:4 or even 4:2:2.

This along may be good reason to use 4K cameras.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
castfeeder  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 5:12:50 PM(UTC)
castfeeder

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks everyone. Will test this out and report on results.
Digitalson  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 8:03:25 PM(UTC)
Digitalson

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Wow I was just going to ask this....I would think a vmix to vmix call would be better for that
mjgraves  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:07:57 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Digitalson wrote:
Wow I was just going to ask this....I would think a vmix to vmix call would be better for that

Why? Or maybe how is the better question.

vMix call is simply a convenient way to access a remote participant over the internet. Since it's via internet the video is must be massively compressed (1-4 mbps vs >750 mbps for 720p30.) Compression adds artifacts that make further production processes, like chrome keying, less accurate.

Seems simple. Of course, if your requirements are not that demanding you might find the results satisfactory.
DWAM  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:26:54 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
Of course, if your requirements are not that demanding you might find the results satisfactory.

Yeah! If your guest is Mr. Potato Head it might even work pretty well ! ;o)
mjgraves  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:17:22 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

DWAM wrote:
Yeah! If your guest is Mr. Potato Head it might even work pretty well ! ;o)

After a little reflection, it might be worth an experiment to create some sample video and show the difference.

Some people have lousy chroma keys simply because their local lighting is poor. It strikes me that a remote guest, who is not in the habit of being chroma keyed, would not likely be in a great situation. Marginal lighting, little background/foreground separation, etc.
Digitalson  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:39:41 AM(UTC)
Digitalson

Well my first tests with vmix to vmix calls look pretty good !,and both have average or little faster net speeds,I can see a vmix call in a virtual set in green screen ,it's the delay that needs work
Digitalson  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:40:49 AM(UTC)
Digitalson

And worst case he would look like that video guy from the 80's,I forgot his name....
Len56  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 9:18:13 AM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I think you are thinking of Max Head Room.
sinc747  
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2017 4:26:37 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Nothing like actually trying this out, right? Thanks to Tess and Paul of PTZ Optics who had me on their live streaming show on Friday so we had a chance to really try this out.

I am a guest on the show and Paul is bringing in my 1080p video using vMix Call and placing me in his virtual set. How very cool! Best of all, it took maybe 5 minutes to set it all up. And it was his first time using vMix Call. Well done Tess and Paul!

- Tom
zenvideo  
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2017 5:08:55 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Apart from the fact that the presenters' torsos are both floating a few inches above the top of the desk, it does indeed look fine in terms of the green-screen keying.

Something else to take into account in this example is that Tom's remote image has been scaled down a bit to be placed into the virtual set, which can effectively increase the resolution of the key, but even so it's clearly a perfectly usable technique.
zenvideo attached the following image(s):
vMix19Party2.jpg (93kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
vMix19Party.jpg (221kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
IceStream  
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2017 1:39:50 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ sinc747

If I am not mistaken Tom, didn't you do something similar with Amnon a while ago using Skype (not sure if it was "Streaming Idiots" or "That VidBlaster Guy")?

@ zenvideo

I'm not familiar with that particular Virtual Set Martin, but I suspect that apparent space is supposed to be the somewhat reflective desktop (an area that Tricaster has excelled at in their Virtual Sets with realtime reflections, which I am sure vMix could accommodate with proper UVMapping in the set).

Ice
sinc747  
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2017 2:38:26 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

IceStream wrote:
@ sinc747

If I am not mistaken Tom, didn't you do something similar with Amnon a while ago using Skype (not sure if it was "Streaming Idiots" or "That VidBlaster Guy")?

Ice

@Ice

You are absolutely correct. Here's that video:

But, the audio routing required to make that broadcast with Amnon work was far more than what we needed yesterday on the PTZ Optics show. Other than turning off the audio "follow" button, there was no special audio routing required.

And yes, it was the reflection or non-reflection that made us appear to float. Well, truth be told, Paul & I only have torsos in real life. Lol.

- Tom
Martin Block  
#18 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2020 11:18:52 AM(UTC)
Martin Block

Philippines

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Just to add to this old thread, I just had a recording with a remote guest coming in via vMix Call with green screen and I could not find a way to key out the green to any acceptable degree. I tried a few hours also improving lighting/setup on the caller’s end but there always was heavy green spill on the talent no matter what setting I tried.
After almost giving up, I tried Skype and the result was immediate. If the vMix Call gave me a 50% satisfactory result, Skype gave me about 90%, which was, given the imperfect chroma setup, more than enough.
So I do not know, how anybody can get work with vMix Call and chroma? Maybe you need a perfect chroma setup and lighting for good results? In any case, I will use Skype from now on for any chroma requirements.

Too bad, as I really like the vMix Call audio/video routing capabilities as well as being able to get very clean Iso recordings via the Multicorder.
I would wish, that the vMix Team would improve this aspect of vMix Call!.

Martin
lainol  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2020 12:53:29 AM(UTC)
lainol

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Martin Block Go to Quoted Post
Just to add to this old thread, I just had a recording with a remote guest coming in via vMix Call with green screen and I could not find a way to key out the green to any acceptable degree. I tried a few hours also improving lighting/setup on the caller’s end but there always was heavy green spill on the talent no matter what setting I tried.
After almost giving up, I tried Skype and the result was immediate. If the vMix Call gave me a 50% satisfactory result, Skype gave me about 90%, which was, given the imperfect chroma setup, more than enough.
So I do not know, how anybody can get work with vMix Call and chroma? Maybe you need a perfect chroma setup and lighting for good results? In any case, I will use Skype from now on for any chroma requirements.

Too bad, as I really like the vMix Call audio/video routing capabilities as well as being able to get very clean Iso recordings via the Multicorder.
I would wish, that the vMix Team would improve this aspect of vMix Call!.

Martin

I send a kit to the remote presenter:

- laptop
- sony alpha a6100
- elgato chroma background
- 2 small led lights, one for the talent and one for the background
- rode wireless go plugin into the camera
- elgato camlink
- 10m ethernet cable for direct connection to the router (no wifi at all)
- 2 cheap light stands, cheap camera tripod and a laptop stand (like a light stand with a base)

all with a pdf manual for setup, very easy, laptop controlled via teamviewer, you can do it from web vmixcall or vmix to vmix call and the results are very satisfactory.
thanks 2 users thanked lainol for this useful post.
SportsNetUSA.net on 12/23/2020(UTC), yimmyo on 9/1/2021(UTC)
mavik  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2020 6:17:51 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
For anyone that needs to transmit in very good quality and for the ones that have the up/down speeds you can use medialooks VT. You can use 20 or 50 mbit/s with SRT. That way you get a much better results as with vMixcall through a browser.