logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cpilcher  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 3:40:34 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Short Story: It would be great to be able to use the tally feature not only for Program, Preview or Standby. But to also be able to select a criteria such as Overlays, Audio and other possibilities to be notified of their status.

Long Story: I have just recently started using the web controller tally light feature through vMix 4K. After solving my hardware issues I am finally moving on to some new improvements to my production. The tally lights work as expected when each input is in preview or program, and it has helped my camera operators get their timing in sync with my switching operator. Works awesome.

One thing I had always planned on adding, and just recently realized it won't work the way I had expected is the audio tally. I can select the input from the web controller tally light screen. So I select my "mic 1" input for example. This will be one of my commentary announcers. I was hoping that the tally would show any audio inputs that are active... Which for me would be a big help. As I turn on and off audio inputs it would be great to have the tallys light per input based on the status of each input.

Example: My setup includes a Commentary Station, which consists of, a 1080p monitor to view program out and instant replays, and 2 headsets with mics. It would be a nice addition to my setup if I had 2 devices that would display the status of the audio input in vMix. They would know when the mics were "Live" or off.

Chuck
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 5:00:27 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
+ 1

I fully understand the request and support it if it is possible.
In the meantime...

@ Cpilcher

There is a workaround solution. You can use the "MultiView" feature a couple of different ways either with the audio input as an overlay (better I believe) or a camera input as an overlay on that audio input.

Either way, it may require multiple 'duplicate' inputs and/or shortcuts to accomplish your goals, but it works!

The "Overlay" buttons will work as well, but they will not turn ON the audio, you would have to do that manually.

Ice
Cpilcher  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 7:40:01 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

ICE, I'd love to hear more about how you could make this work as is.

When I think about the possible workarounds, I have an issue. If I were to create duplicate virtual inputs (1 with audio from commentary and 1 without), that may solve one problem. But now I wonder how my switching operator would select the multiple angles. I use an XKeys and I have it programed to put certain inputs into preview and then cut to the input when ready. I control the audio separately, so the switching operator would have to know which inputs to cut to, whether I wanted commentary audio or not.

This is how I see the workaround. Do you have any other suggestions that would allow the switcher to select which camera angle they want regardless of what audio is selected at the time?

Chuck
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 9:35:47 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Cpilcher

Although I don't fully know your workflow, I do understand the situation.

If you or someone other than your TD (Switcher) is controlling the On/Off aspect of the commentators, I would suggest a series of duplicate 'Shortcuts' that will alter the "Overlay" input of each "MultiView" (camera angle) you are using, one key for ON and one key for OFF, that is use the "SetMultiViewOverlay" function such that the value is 'Overlay#,Input#'.
Example: if you are using 'Overlay' 1 in the 'Multiview' of your camera input and your audio is 'Input' 24, the Value in the function window is "1,24".
To "Turn Off" use "0" as the value for the Input Number (i.e. None), in this case the Value for Off would be "1,0".

In this way, your TD can switch normally, your Audio guy can turn Audio Inputs On and Off and your talent will see the Web Tally indicator (I assume a smart phone or tablet).
Not the simplest of set-ups, but certainly doable.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Ice
Cpilcher  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 9:47:02 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Cool. I'll give this a shot tonight and see if it gives me the results I was expecting. Thanks.
Cpilcher  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:25:32 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Ok, I'm so close but I am having a few problems.

1. I am starting with a blank project with 2 inputs. 1 input is my camera input, and input 2 is my overlay (I have been using a stock vMix lower 3rd also to test this visually).

2. I have created 2 shortcuts.

SHORTCUT 1 "ON"
- Key: A
- Function: SetMultiViewOverlay
- Input: Input 1
- Value: 1,2

SHORTCUT 2 "OFF"
- Key: S
- Function: SetMultiViewOverlay
- Input: Input 1
- Value: 1,_ (I have left the second value blank as "0" did not remove the Input from Overlay, but leaving it blank did...)

Onscreen everything works as expected, but the web controller does not update the tally light (iPad mini 3). Clicking the input will make the tally show the correct status, but it doesn't seem to update the status until the input is clicked. Also in my setup I have the option for clicking input set to "NONE" since the xKeys controls that aspect. So on my production PC that wont be an option.

EDITED: Secondly, if I swap the lower 3rd for an audio input (which is what I need to work in the first place) it always plays my audio regardless of the overlay status. Audio inputs must always be live? is there a way to have the audio follow focus like a camera input, where audio is only heard when the input is actually active? I could probably duplicate the shortcut to also turn off and on the audio, as well as set the MultiView Overlay...

Thanks so much for getting me in this far, hopefully it will pan out.

Chuck
Cpilcher  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 2:28:58 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Ok I am revisiting this problem. I have gotten this to work using overly channels but I would like to reserve them for use with graphics if possible.

Icestream's suggestions have gotten me very close to a solution but no matter what I do I can not get the "Audio Tally" light to update unless I physically click on my camera input that holds the audio input in multiview.

EDIT: Actually clicking any input updates the web controller tally light. But since I have a separate operator who switches with XKeys I rarely touch the mouse or keyboard. Is there a way to "refresh" via a shortcut that I could attach to one of the keys?

EDIT2: XKeys switching will prompt the web controller tally to update. But until there is a button pressed the tally will not update so there will not be an immediate notification that the audio feed is "Live" to the commentator...

Any other advice or suggestions to get an audio tally light for my Commentary crew. They loved having the indication of Live Audio status. But I would like to have a Tally Light for both mics but I need use of the 4 overlay channels for 1. Logo Bug, 2. Time Clock, 3/4. lower thirds and promo graphics.

Thanks I just need another push.

Chuck
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 3:00:15 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Cpilcher

I haven't re-read the entire thread and can't remember fully the workflow, but perhaps a "Virtual Input" of each of your camera shots with commentator's audio (double the switching for the TD for ON and OFF situations, but with all the keys available to you on the X-Keys, should be do-able).
One bus of keys for Audio ON and one Bus for Audio OFF, that should trigger the web controller tally effectively.
Switching between busses on the same Input shows no visual change, just the commentators audio is the only difference.
(as it would appear you have to switch away from the Input to disengage the tally indicator)

Ice
Cpilcher  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 3:15:26 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Thanks Ice. I'd like to stay away from that option. As it is now it works very well... Just has that delay until a key is pressed. Also this creates one issue.

My idea here is to give control of the mic status to the Commentary crew. So I'd rather not leave the audio status in the hands of the TD / Switcher. But with the delay in the tally light there is a chance they don't know their mic is live and could talk candidly over the live feed.

I'm looking at various ways to add in a shortcut that can be attached to the same key press that will force vMix to update the status... like putting another input in preview seems to work. But that may throw the TD off if things keep changing automatically like that.

Chuck
ask  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 10:58:51 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Cpilcher wrote:

My idea here is to give control of the mic status to the Commentary crew. So I'd rather not leave the audio status in the hands of the TD / Switcher. But with the delay in the tally light there is a chance they don't know their mic is live and could talk candidly over the live feed.

I'm looking at various ways to add in a shortcut that can be attached to the same key press that will force vMix to update the status... like putting another input in preview seems to work. But that may throw the TD off if things keep changing automatically like that.

Chuck

OK. So a very simple way to do the above is to use the Web Controller. Setup a shortcut to turn the audio on/off and make that the only shortcut that is visible in the Web Controller. Now from a device at the commentary position, perhaps a tablet or laptop---even a smartphone, browse to the Web Controller. The commentators will only have the one button to push! To see the tally open another browser window to the same address and expose the web tally light. It works extremely well. I do it a bit differently in that I have the TD turn off the audio, but I use the web tally light so that the commentators know when they are live. And it's a great use of those old smart phones that are in your bottom drawer that you never got around to recycling! LOL
Cpilcher  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 11:20:00 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Thanks Ask. I may need some more info. I'm currently on my way home and not in front of a PC to test. But... I tried this same thing in the past and I couldn't get the tally to light when the audio was active. It needed to be attached to the output in order to get the tally light to show it as Live.

That's what started this thread in the first place. I was under the impression that the Tally Light would change depending on the inputs audio status. But that wasn't the case. It worked great by using the overlay channels, when the audio input was selected (on overlay 4 in my case) it worked but now I need to have those extra channels for graphics. Multiview is working too but vMix doesn't update the Tally Light until a button is pressed on a controller.

Unless I am missing something. I have tried endless combinations of possibilities so far. Always open to suggestions though. I'll be home soon and back to the drawing board.

Chuck
IceStream  
#12 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 1:48:43 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Cpilcher

Unfortunately, until the feature request of "Tally" association with Audio ON/OFF is fulfilled, there is no simple "ONE" button solution to this...
And it's not exactly what one would desire as it may require a multitude of shortcuts and only be quasi productive.
I can effectively establish "Shortcuts" to turn the Audio ON and OFF (giving the Commentators full control) and subsequently set-up advanced triggers associated with each ON and OFF button to "SetMultiViewOverlay" of desired Cameras to the Audio Input (Tally ON) or Colour (Tally OFF), but the issue remains that the Tally indicator screen will not change until the Camera (Input) is switched in vMix by the TD, so the scenario is not fool proof (i.e. Tally could show ON when Audio is OFF and vise versa, until camera is switched) but at least it provides some semblance of what you want to accomplish.

Perhaps the best solution is to disregard the "Web Controller Tally" and focus on a "lighted" key pad midi controller or fader that the commentators have at their disposal to control, basically, their own ON/OFF switch.

Ice
ask  
#13 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 2:28:17 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Cpilcher wrote:
Thanks Ask. I may need some more info. I'm currently on my way home and not in front of a PC to test. But... I tried this same thing in the past and I couldn't get the tally to light when the audio was active. It needed to be attached to the output in order to get the tally light to show it as Live.

That's what started this thread in the first place. I was under the impression that the Tally Light would change depending on the inputs audio status. But that wasn't the case. It worked great by using the overlay channels, when the audio input was selected (on overlay 4 in my case) it worked but now I need to have those extra channels for graphics. Multiview is working too but vMix doesn't update the Tally Light until a button is pressed on a controller.

Unless I am missing something. I have tried endless combinations of possibilities so far. Always open to suggestions though. I'll be home soon and back to the drawing board.

Chuck

OK. I see what you are saying.

Yep Ice is right, the Audio need to be tied to an input that moves into program.

I can however use activators on to display the tally on both x_keys and a APC mini
ask  
#14 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 2:42:08 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

@Admin. Martin, if the trigger for tally is the transition of an input into Program, would it be possible to also create a trigger on the ON/OFF of the Audio of any input and/or the Master Audio?
Cpilcher  
#15 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 3:06:19 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I was just making sure I had covered all the possible bases for a work around. Hopefully others see the addition of audio tally function as helpful and it can be implemented. But a purchase of a small XKeys pad is probably in my near future so I can give that to the Commentary crew to use.

Chuck
Cpilcher  
#16 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 11:33:27 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

My final solution after a long nights work (until the XKeys arrives) is to run desktop capture and crop out the audio indicator light/button from the input. Using multiview settings I have included those 2 screen caps on my overlay 4 channel which is hidden on all but my external 2 feed (which only Commentary can view).

II have modified an old numpad so there are only 2 buttons visible at their stations (which until now have been XLR "cough switches" to mute the feed if they needed to).

I was able to also rework my time clock so it doesn't require the use of an overlay channel as well so now I have enough to feed my graphics too.

EDIT: The local Guitar Center had an Akai LPD8. It is responding to the activators using the generic button led setting. So I'm going to use that until I find a better button solution.

Chuck
tesn  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 13, 2017 9:04:46 AM(UTC)
tesn

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Figured I'd +1 this.

So in my case I had some "commercials" programmed and scripted to run. As part of the script I would turn the main commentator audio off. When the commercial finished I had the script turn it back on. We ran into problems when the commentators started talking before the audio turned back on. I quickly realized I had to tell commentator to wait until it came back on verbally every time.

Having a tally light would have made things much easier.

-Brian

TESN.US