logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
h2video.nl  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:29:47 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi,

Always on the lookout for simple, better, compact I am doing some tests with my logitech webcam(Quick cam pro for notebooks). Results are OK for my intentions (webcapture of meetings and lectures) but framerate is a littel slow.

The preview window of Logitech is OK but when captured by VMIX the framerate is different? No idea why.

BUT: There is a new version HD version that supports h.264: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920. Will this work with VMIX? Does anybody have experience with this type of webcam?

Martin: wil the new VMIX release 9.0 support this H.264 device? or wil it work (HD - 25 fps) on current versions of VMIX as well?

Greeetings
Stefan
admin  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2013 10:51:06 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi Stefan,

I can't say for sure if that particular WebCam will work.
They all use slightly different methods of sending video so the only way to know for sure is to try it out.

Support for WebCams is no different between versions 8 and 9.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
admin  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:29:17 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
As an update I have been able to get a hold of a Logitech C920 for testing and noticed the following:

* Camera reports three supported formats YUY2, MJPEG and H264
* vMix 8 supports YUY2 and MJPEG but it prefers YUY2 so it loads the camera in this mode.
* The camera outputs YUY2 at a very low frame rate, full 1080p frame rate is available with H264 only.
* H264 has about a 0.5 to 1 second delay. MJPEG has the least delay but only works with 720p

So what I have done for vMix 9 is added a box to select the format you would like to use
with the camera. This means you can choose H264 if you want the highest quality and don't care about the delay, or MJPEG
if you want the least delay at a lower quality.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
h2video.nl on 2/10/2013(UTC)
h2video.nl  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:15:04 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Hi Martin,

I went out an bought the webcam. First test are OK. I have to figure out how to sync the external recorded sound with the C920 input.

But thank you very much for adding the new options to v9 so quickly. This will help a lot and also shows the dedication of VMIX development. And that's what really counts.

Advantages of using this type of simple camera is the small footprint (I can use one laptop and capture the powerpoint and speaker in one go). The camara has an option to follow the speaker (face). For small class-rooms and meeting this option would be handy for a more or less automatic trac and follow, stand alone set-up. Price value is good (I don't need any extra hardware, just plug it in the USB port).

So: Thanks and greetings,
Stefan
h2video.nl  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:46:40 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Hi Martin,

I did some tests - recorded in different formats and using internal and an external mic and noticed the following:

1. I can change the capture format by selecting a different resolution / capture size. The lower quality / resolution is acceptable for my intended purpose (also because of the follow the face function which is automatically started when conecting the C920 in Vmix). But it is difficult to sync the sound and the video.

2. when I use the same setup in the provided video-recording software of Logitech, I don't have any delay issues. Even the 1080p option works without delay, even when I select my external mic (so not the logitech build in mic - I don't want to use that)

3. more importantly I noticed considerable sound interference (cracking and popping) when using the external Mic in combination with the C920 video capture. I am using a USB sound input card to connect my Rode microphone. Could this be because I am using too much USB ports.

PS I don't have any issues recording only sound in VMIX and don't capture the video. Then all sound is recorded good.
PS2 I don't have any sound issues when recording video and sound with the provided Logitech programm and all conncetions are the same as used with VMIX.

4. there are different options to capture the video input, notably pal 25 and NTSC 30. Would this make any difference. Also when using only one video input and one desktop capture input, can I turn of Virtual genlock and would it make any difference.

PS When recoding with Logitech in 1080p the resulting file is recorded as 30 fps, lower resolution (WMV) in 15 fps. I don't see any changes in VMIX: all is 25 fps... I can not select 15 fps, but I can select 30 with NTSC.

So in conclusion:
- there might be a sound issue here, since only VMIX is producing cracks in the sound in combination with C920 capture.
- video is good, but issues to get the sound in sync (and keep it that way in recordings lasting 1,5 - 2 hours.

greetings,
Stefan
h2video.nl  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:39:24 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Short update:

it seems all is running like a dream: small footprint (costs) camera is doing great.

What did I do: I noticed that I got a lot of dropped frames, when using also desktop-capture. Also the camera records 30 fps (NTSC). So I set the system framerate on 30, the camera on 30 and the capture desktop on 30.

All is running great: no delay, no dropped frames, I can switch between desktop and cam and use multi-view.

honestly, I did not expect to have such great results with such a small camera.

Advantage is i don't need a BM shuttle for smaal scale events and everything fits in one case. So ultra portable.

I also checked out Google hangouts, and also succes. PS I use a seperate mic to capture audio and hook that one up with the camera of as a seperate audio capture. Not sure about that yet because I get a little bit of dropped samples. Will try to use a USB audio capture card and se if thsi stabelizes things.

Anyway: succes and i am looking forward to v9 improvements as well.

Greetings
Stefan
timothychew  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:01:00 AM(UTC)
timothychew

Stefan

do u mean that after u change the frame rate
intensity can work together with 920

I have 2 x 920 but seeem so slow

way to set frame rate and test
h2video.nl  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:59:01 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

hi Timothy,

I use the C920 not with intensity, but on a regular USB 2.0 port (that's the main advantage).

I select a resolution of 1024 - 576 - NTSC 30 fps as capture resolution in VMIX. It does not seem to matter what resolution I set on the C920 itself - aparently this is selected with the resolution in VMIX. Martin is providing a selection box in the new V9 release.

The sound I connect seperately over an input mini jack or i use an external USB2 sound import minicard. Microphone input should be OK.

The system framerate I also set on 30 fps and the desktop also captured at 30 fps.

I then have a fast capture and no latency or anything.

I record also to 30 fps NTSC format. For the digital youtube use it does not seem to matter.

It's amazing how smooth it is for such a small camera. Realy good value.

greeting,
Stefan
h2video.nl  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:12:18 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

update on testing and using the logitech c920 usb hd 1080 webcam.

logitech has released an update for the drivers. the update says something like improving capture quality in other capturing software. i noticed a considerable improvement and i am happy to add this camera to my setup.

i now record in ntsc 30 fps mode as i noticed this is the native framerate of the camera. no dropped frmes at all.

the advantage of using a smaller resolution is that it also enables the follow your face option, so the camera will pan, tilt and zoom automatically to follow you around within a limited space. very fancy. you can disable this anytime during recording and use manual zooming using the console pop- up.

the Camera is ideal for capturing lectures and meetings in small spaces and i am runningit now using only a laptop and connecting an external mic ( this can be anything like a sennheiser wireless set or a fiexed mic). i can take my set in one bag and set it up in 10 minutes.

greeting
stefan
h2video.nl  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:20:29 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

final update.

After extensive testing in the release candidate of vmix 9.0.91 the recommende setup of using the logitech c920 would be to use the windows drivers and uninstal the provided logitech drivers.

for one or other reason the logitech drivers result in some sort of feedback resulting in dropped audio samples and increasing latency. The camera works very well with using the standard windows drivers ( win 7 64 bit tested). Just prevent logitech to install the drivers automatically ( disconnect from the internet) and disable the automatic updates from installing them later.

My main aim is to have a small footprint system that will fit in one bag, using a standard laptop and usb 2.0 webcam with good specifications. The advantage of using the standard windows driver for the webcam is the light use of resources. I managed to get everything working on a small i3 laptop using the c920, an external microphone and desktopcapture recording at 1280*720 25p pal with only 20 - 25 % procesor use and total about 40%.

The new v9 release enables selecting the desired capture resolution and format of the camera. I have set these for the c920 to YUY2 @ 1024*576 and capture at 25p. The framerate is about 15 fps.

This setup is ok for my use in lecture and meetings capturing in a combined screen with large powerpoint desktop capture and a small video window.

For more elaborate recordings I use a BM shuttle connected to the USB 3 port. I also tested a combination of BM and the C 920 together and this works as well. This provides an extra camera shot pe an overview of the audience, during which you van vhange the main cams position.

Moreover, seting up a small formfactor, minimal system setup proves once and agains the power of sing Vmix. I did a 10 hour burn in test to check for latency, and not one droped frame or droped sample, no latency and a perfect recording.

thanks to Martin for his support. we worked hard, to find out the bug is in the logitech drivers and not in the new release. If you use this camera, check to see if the logitech drivers cause any problem. If not, you ahe additional features, if so, just delete them, prevent them from installing with automitc updates and use the windows driver.
greetings stefan
doyousee.me  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:48:44 PM(UTC)
doyousee.me

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
if you need more camera's you know where to reach me
(currently only 2 , but working on getting 4 concurrent full hd inputs)

M@ik

:)
h2video.nl  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 9, 2013 10:26:17 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Update on using the C920 in VMIX 9 release 120/122:

The Logitech will work in Vmix 9 with the logitech drivers, but there is some kind of bug in the logitech driver resulting in a lot of dropped frames. Work around is to use the windwos drivers for the webcam only. This will work ok.

TIP:
You can control the webcam by accessing the webcam control settings via Vmix: select the info button go to --> advanced --> click the logitech C920 input and select the properties button. there you can manually control most of the webcams settings. Even pan, zoom, auto focus, white balance etc etc.

I record with this camera in a resolution of 1024 * 576 YuY2 format and no audio. I use the camera for an extra option / view and fill shots in addition to a HD cam through HDMI / BM shuttle.

Gretings,
Stefan