logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Wrighty  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:31:08 PM(UTC)
Wrighty

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've been using vMix for a couple of years now. I built a system for a local AV company who I do a lot of freelance work for and after a few little teething troubles, it's been great. It's equipped with some of the first generation Magewell quad HDMI and multi-input (SDI/DVI/analogue) cards. That system is currently running vMix 17 (full spec is in my post on the X99 issues thread).

I've just built another system for them to use for recording and streaming from two inputs. It's got one of the new Magewell Pro Capture Dual HDMI cards installed, running vMix 18 Basic HD. After building and setting up the machine today, I've noticed two issues:

1. It seems there's no longer the option to perform scaling or processing on the card (using the filters in the Advanced section of the Input settings - that option is not there any more). vMix now automatically sets its capture resolution and framerate to match whatever the source is. This is good in some ways, because it makes it simpler for some of the less experienced techs to use, but if this was the case with the other machine (which has 10 inputs), I'd have problems, as I often have to downscale on the card, to reduce the load on the graphics card when I'm using all 10 inputs.

2. If I feed a signal into input 0 of the card and nothing into input 1, I get the signal fine when I capture from input 0, but input 1 shows a black screen instead of the "No input signal" colour bars which I would have expected. If I connect a signal to input 1 as well, I get both inputs fine. It's just the "No input signal" colour bars which aren't working.

Any advice/comments?

Cheers,

Richard Wright
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:44:47 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
vMix has changed the default method by which it accesses the Magewell Pro Capture models, using the Magewell SDK rather than the more generic DirectShow driver. This has the benefit of using a lower-latency transfer mode but also means you lose access to the Magewell DirectShow property panel (the filter in the Advanced section). It could well be that vMix is using some of the on-board processing functions that the cards provide, just that you don't have manual user controls via the SDK (unless the programmer provides them). Another side effect is that you no longer get the "No input signal" colour bars which were generated in the DirectShow driver. It is still possible to use the DirectShow driver when you add a video input if you tick the "Show legacy devices" box when selecting the camera source. You will then see two entries for each Magewell Pro Capture channel, one of which is the DirectShow driver.
thanks 3 users thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
Wrighty on 3/1/2017(UTC), stigaard on 3/1/2017(UTC), Ken Benedict on 3/21/2017(UTC)
Wrighty  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 6:23:51 AM(UTC)
Wrighty

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Ahh, that makes sense! I'll have a play with it later, but that answers both questions - thanks!