logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cruiseweekTV  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 8:32:00 PM(UTC)
cruiseweekTV

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
1: trying to have the auto audio from the remote guest stay on when i switch to the host full screen. i though of using a trigger to turn the audio back on but if doesn't seem to trigger correctly, I tried multi view and putting the remote guest up full screen the overlaying the hosts cam on top. that worked for audio BUT the transitions looked weird ( we use merga a lot) any suggestions? i dont want to have to mess with the mixer separately just want to control them from what scene is up.

2: on a side by side view of our host and the remote guest when i use merge to goto the vmix call in fullscreen i get a flash of the desktop as it transitions. I do have another input with desktop capture but that's not connected to this input ( i checked multi view and everything)

apart from these 2 issues it seems to work great :)
Lennart  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 11:48:02 AM(UTC)
Lennart

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
In terms of 1: have you tried disabling "Automatically mix audio"?

Not sure about 2.
cruiseweekTV  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:34:13 PM(UTC)
cruiseweekTV

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Lennart wrote:
In terms of 1: have you tried disabling "Automatically mix audio"?

i figured out 2 but 1 that didn't work because effectively when i goto the full screen on the host the vmix call is no longer an output so vmix mutes that audio ( as it should) my issue is that placing a copy of vmixcall BEHIND in multi view will fix the issue but when the merge fade is used it produces a weird merge.

IceStream  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 10:36:36 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ cruiseweekTV

Have you tried deactivating the "double arrow" icon in the "Audio Mixer" (audio follows video) but leave the speaker icon activated?
Seems to work fine for me.
Mind you, the audio will be "Always ON" so you'll need to make the necessary adjustments if you have other elements in your program where you don't want the audio.

Ice
w14  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 8:10:27 PM(UTC)
w14

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
IceStream wrote:
@ cruiseweekTV
you'll need to make the necessary adjustments if you have other elements in your program where you don't want the audio.

If audio for each call is not available as a separate input and automixing is not possible as you say, it makes it much harder to manage audio when switching, say, to a video clip where talking heads need to be muted.

I suppose a bunch of triggers could be set up on each video clip to mute and unmute audio channels as video clips come in and out of programme, but that seems a bit inconvenient.

In fact, the more I think about this the more it seems it isn't possible to automate.

For example, at present, using a midi controller, I can mute individual Skype calls (separate audio via mixer) using shortcuts which toggle audio on/of AND automix on/off simultaneously. That means when I switch to a video clip, and then switch back to a presenter, mute status is respected.

If I have to leave presenters and callers with automix off, and unmuted, then in my scenario above using triggers, ALL mics will be unmuted when switching the video out of programme, including callers who are not part of that segment of the show.

Am I missing something? If this is the situation, then I have to say, as exciting as vMix Call is, if audio is not available as separate inputs, it's not really usable in practice.

Have you any other suggestions how to manage this, Ice?

IceStream  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 10:04:37 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ w14

w14 wrote:

If audio for each call is not available as a separate input and automixing is not possible as you say, it makes it much harder to manage audio when switching,

I am not exactly sure what you mean here...
The vMixCall Input can be treated like any other Input audio wise.
If you are looking for a "total" automation solution for managing your program then that is a bit of a different question.
It's easy enough to set up triggers to turn audio on and off of a specific Input, so I really don't see a serious issue here, unless I have completely misunderstood the problem you are having.
There are likely several ways of handling what you want to accomplish, you'll just have to be a little more specific as to exactly what that is for me (or anyone else) to offer a viable workflow option that will meet your needs.

Ice
w14  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2017 7:17:01 AM(UTC)
w14

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Thanks Ice. Yes, sorry, its always hard to get a workflow across.

At present I have two Skype PCs. Video is captured via NDI. I'm bringing audio in via a Behringer x18 mixer, using Behringers ASIO driver. So Skype audio is there as separate inputs giving me a lot of flexibility.

What I do is add the Skype audio inputs to each video input where I want to hear it - studio cameras, graphics, Skype full screen shots, side by side shots etc, and not to others, mainly video clips, opening & closing titles etc, and then automix it so that I don't need to worry about accidental open mics. (It has happened ...)

In addition, I have buttons on my midi controller which use shortcuts to manually mute Skype audio. This is mainly so that when I am not speaking to a particular guest, I can mute their fidgeting and paper rustling. In this case, when I mute a Skype audio input, I have to also switch off auto mix for that input, so that when I switch back and forth between shots, the Skype call mute setting is respected. So the midi button toggles on/off audio and on/off automix simultaneously for that Skype audio input.

If it is not possible with vMix Call to split the audio onto a separate (audio only) input, then what could I do to replicate this behaviour?

I could switch off automix for all taking head inputs, and use triggers to mute all the necessary audio channels when, for example, I'm playing a video clip. But as far as I can see, my only option for when I want to switch away from the video clip again, is to use triggers to unmute all talking head inputs, including any I want to keep muted.

The way I have things set up now, I don't need to rely on guests managing background noise, or managing their own muting (they inevitably forget to unmute before speaking), and I can still make programmes when I don't have anyone to help on the production side.

vMix Call would allow us to have guests jump on without having someone to manage Skype calls, but what I don't want is someone joining a programme for a particular segment and, intentionally or not, disrupting someone else's flow.

@cruiseweekTV - sorry for hijacking your thread, but I think the issue is related ...

Mike.
admin  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2017 10:10:19 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
The next update will add more MultiView overlays (10 instead of 5) and also have the ability
to turn off certain layers, which would be helpful if you wanted to add the vMix Call
to another input but kept hidden so that its audio turned on automatically.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
w14 on 3/4/2017(UTC), rowby on 1/5/2018(UTC)