logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:48:30 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I have been more and more confident in that it would be awesome if the options for an Input's Click behavior could also include a shortcut action. This way one could create "soft shortcuts", for example with an Input that contains an image which reads "Start recording & streaming". If nothing else probably very useful for those who operate with touch screens.

In order to not interefere, or rather add to the limitations of the keyboard, virtual shortcuts would come in handy. These could be named (eg "Go"), and called into action by Input clicking, triggers, via API, and keyboard shortcuts.

Being able to name shortcuts would also be useful to remember what a Shortcut does. Some Presets of ours contain many shortcuts, and I frequently forget which shortcut does what.

Looking forward to your comments :)

EDIT: A clarification. the Mouse click action should be able to initiate a "simulated key stroke". That is, not execute a Shortcut command, but rather do the same thing as if the user press a key. Described deeply in a post below.
User4635  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:30:35 PM(UTC)
User4635

I would say, rather than being able to add 'shortcuts-inputs', it would be best to work on the already existing shortcuts window in the software.
Adding the behaviour of a shortcut would probably create a lot of confusion; like adding null inputs that act as shortcuts, and in the end clutter the interface as well as occupying precious input slots for basic users.

Instead, reworking the shortcut window so that it can integrate in the interface as the audio mixer does, adding the ability to color, rename and reorganize the virtual buttons, and maybe even have multipe shortcuts in one button would probably be best. It could even integrate an equivalent to the activators mechanics and work like a complete virtual controller embeded in vmix's interface, but separate to the inputs.
Harty  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2017 5:28:11 AM(UTC)
Harty

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
As a big fan of using vMix with a touchscreen (see here also
) I´d like to see some of the above mentioned functionality. I wouldn´t like to have them in the input section though, I think a floating window with customizable buttons would be more to my liking... As I´ll be adding a second touchscreen to my system, I would use the "touch shortcuts" on the second screen, where I usually have the replay system.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2017 6:04:32 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
As a big fan of using vMix with a touchscreen (see here also
) I´d like to see some of the above mentioned functionality. I wouldn´t like to have them in the input section though, I think a floating window with customizable buttons would be more to my liking... As I´ll be adding a second touchscreen to my system, I would use the "touch shortcuts" on the second screen, where I usually have the replay system.

If I understood well, I guess you can already do this using vMix Web Controller (http://yourPC:8088) where there is a page that shows all configured shortcuts as big buttons.
http://www.vmix.com/help18/WebController.html

Guillaume
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2017 9:07:26 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ DWAM

The difference is that the Web Interface Controller is not customizable as I think Harty is suggesting, or in accordance with Richard's original request.
I often have many "Shortcuts", but I don't necessarilly need them all displayed, but rather would prefer to be able to "pick and choose" which ones I want (my GOTO or most used). Similarly, there have been requests for single foolproof goto buttons that "Show Hosts" could push without having to be concerned about pushing the wrong button (which I think has been answered with the recent announcement of supprt for X-Keys single buttons and footpeddals in vMix 19).

In any event, I agree with Harty, as much as it is an interesting suggestion by Richard, I am not sure it is a good idea to make it an "Input" (big Button I could live with but still think it changes the integrety of the Input row).

Just my thoughts.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
DWAM on 1/28/2017(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:29:42 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thank you for all the comments!

The begin with, my guess is that adding a shortcut selection to the click behavior drop down menu would need very little programming efforts. A nice addition that opens up many possibilities.

Perhaps the main advantage with soft shortcuts is that the Input's preview monitor may show a live representation. Very intiutive! Imagine that you have a MultiView Input, and the soft key Inputs control which camera should occupy one of the PiPs. Or you select which input goes to Fullscreen just by clicking/touching it.

While I agree with User4365,and Harty that reworking the shortcut window would be nice, that would imply relatively much programming efforts. And I am afraid that alternative control surfaces, including midi, x-keys, tablets, web controllers, etc, already provides a good range of options.

With respect to screen cluttering, I am also considering "walk packs" (compare flight packs). Read, one wants to keep everyting on one (1) sceen. There are cases where you have a tripod with a camera and a touch screen (laptop) mounted on it for vMix control. No room for extra controllers (eg midi), monitors (for floating control windows), keyboards, etc. We tend to end up with hardware cluttering ;). And I guess we are not alone that having many presets that currently only contain five Inputs, and a bunch of shortcuts controlled via the keyboard. In other words, lots of available screen estate without risking cluttering.

Would love to see some comments too on the ideas about "virtual shortcuts" and "named shortcuts".

Keep'em coming :)

richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2017 9:29:49 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

I produced a short demo so you can see how Soft Shortcuts would work in practice. After all, a video says more than a thousand words ;) Take a look: https://youtu.be/Db9UunCxjA4
DWAM  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2017 10:10:51 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Hi Richard

I found a way to do what you wish (and part of what I wish) using NDI. So it is not a vMix only solution but it helps.

Martin from zenVideo.co.uk was kind enough to let me experiment his new NDI app called NDIRouter.
http://zenvideo.co.uk/ndi.htm#Router

Basically it's a NDI Video Hub with 6 in and 2 out

It works very well for many use cases. I used it as a turnaround (for my sub-group virtual input feature request) to build switchable dynamic multiviews.

I set my 6 inputs in NDIRouter and create my multiview.
NDIRouter Out1 and NDIRouter out2 can feed 2 out all the inputs in the multiview
So I can send any of the 6 inputs anytime in the multiview with a single click

Unfortunately it cannot be routed within vMix to External but for multiview usage only it is quite a perfect solution.
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2017 10:34:38 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ richardgatarski

Excellent demo Richard.
I take it though that this was achieved with existing "Shortcuts" and right click actions?
(i.e. illustration of desired behavior but not what is actually happening, that is downstream key invoked but upstream key desired)

Ice
richardgatarski  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2017 2:49:31 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

@DWAM
Thanks. I am already aware of ZEN's NDI Router, but I am after a what I believe is an easily implemented function that would require no extra h/w (midi-controller, X-keys, switches, u name it). Think it would open up a range of possibilites. Consider those who use not-so-well-trained-operators (eg students for a soccer game). Create an Input with an image (or even better a Thumbnail) that reads "START" and starts the Recorder, Streamer, and Fullscreen. Can't do that with NDI.

@IceStream
What You Saw Was What I Did. No right-click action. Just live touching on the Input's preview :)
I thought that it would be a nice can't-go-to-sleep excercise for other users to figure out how I did it :)
IceStream  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2017 10:29:02 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ richardgatarski

Forgive me Richard, I mis-spoke, or rather typed. I should have just said "Mouse Click Action" not right click...
In any event, I was easily able to reproduce your "effect", but it was by using the "Overlay" on mouse click and I was curious if that is what you did or if there was a more involved process (which I haven't quite attempted yet) but part of my point is that the "effect" is possible already, it just might not be convenient or simple to set-up and why I believe Martin's idea of a "Matrix tab" in response to DWAMr's request for AUX switching might be part of an overall solution that answers some of the requests you have put forward here.

Ice
richardgatarski  
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 8:02:09 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Aaargh Ice, you spoiled it ;)

Or rather, nailed the trick :) But I do not see it as a workaround/solution because of two reasons. First, that hack uses one Overlay for each Input, rendering the Ovarlay/s usesless for its real purpose. Second, and here I think I failed to describe my request properly. Let me elaborate that.

My idea is that the Mouse click action should be able to initiate a "simulated key stroke". That is, not execute a Shortcut command, but rather do the same thing as if the user press a key. For example key "1", which is in the default keyboard template does a Fade Preview (1s). And, more important, can initiate a sequence of shortcut commands, as "1" (or any other key) could be set up to execute multiple shortcuts.

So, the drop down menu for the Input's Click key action should include keys as defined in the Settings/Shortcuts tab. Perhaps there should also be an option for each key to "Show in Click Actions" (compare current "Show in Web Controller).

Then, over to my related idea. Instead of being limited to keyboard keys, it would be nice to have "Virtual keys". Perhaps in its own tab next to All, Keyboard, MIDI, Surface, Shuttle PRO, and Joystick. The Virtual keys should be identified by user defined names. Hence the idea of named shortcuts.

Finally, regarding Matrix/AUX switching vs Click action ("Soft") shortcuts. I would rather say that the latter could solve some of the requests within the former - but not the other way around. Take a look at the different Shortcut Functions, a minority of these are switching related. And as I mention in the demo video, another request concerns a new graphical interface full Floating Windows. If the Input tabs in the future would become dockable, then that and Soft shortcuts would perhaps be a viable path instead of a matrix layout. (Better to discuss further in DWAM's topic).
DWAM  
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 10:03:56 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Hi Richard

thanks, I now understand better what you're talking about! It took me a while. I should be on steroids maybe? ;o)

Basically what you're talking about is what I use/like vMixUTC for : creating buttons that can execute a series of commands based on the API or/and simulate keypress (for personal shortcuts).

Regarding the "former" and the "latter", I'm not sure both requests are in competition. I agree that maybe your request could solve partially mine (maybe not the way I expect but it's not the point) in a "vMix internal scope" only. My biggest expectation for the AUX/MATRIX thing is to be able to send an alternative switching to EXTERNAL2 or NDI out. So maybe that's why I don't think both requests compete with each other.

Bien à vous,
Guillaume

IceStream  
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 10:15:51 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ richardgatarski

I agree Richard, the "end result" gives the desired "effect" but not the desired "behavior", that is to be able to switch within the "MultiView", and hence why I like the idea of adding such options to the "Mouse Click Action" menu and "Shortcuts" in general.
As I suggested earlier, I'd be open to the idea of "bigger" buttons, I'm just not so sure how that can be accomplished. As I reflect on it, though, adding them as a "specialized" Button Input (not selectable as a "program" Input), I see the merits of your request for touch screen Users, you could theoretically design your own custom "Control Surface" right within the main vMix GUI.
In that respect, I think it's worth discussing further and I'll give it a

+ 1

Ice
Video Dave  
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 1:25:23 AM(UTC)
Video Dave

Man

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Great idea, Richard.
+1