logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgoodyer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:28:00 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I have a google sheet with the names of 22 soccer players, pointers to images of their shirts, and some basic stats. Before the start of the game I have a title that scrolls through this list displaying the players name, an image of his shirt, and some basic stats, each for 8 seconds. All using Data Sources, and Data Source Manager.

Its all a bit clunky, cutting between each player, what I would like to do is fade each one up and down in turn, with something like a 250mss fade down and a 250ms fade up.

Anybody got any clever ideas how I could achieve this? Is their a trigger (On Data Source Change - or something similar) I could set up?

Not sure what will be the easiest way?

All The Best

Keith
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:54:29 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Keith

Maybe you can +1 my recent feature request here http://forums.vmix.com/d....aspx?g=posts&t=8738

I submitted the very same idea few days ago...

If you can use Expression Blend, I guess you can develop a xaml file that will transition with an effect between each row.

Regards
Guillaume
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 12:25:19 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ kgoodyer

Although it is possible to do something like this with "Triggers", it's not the best solution but will work if executed properly, but I wouldn't recommend it.
It will take some time to set-up and it's not exactly fool proof, as timing is critical since Trigger timings and DataSources timings are independent or each other...

-Step one is to select the desired "Transition" and "settings" for the Overlay channel you want to use, I'll choose "1" for this example (Overlay Settings Button lower right)
-Step two is to choose which Input (background image) you want to set-up the "Trigger" on (I suggest using a Virtual Input or one that will only be used for this effect)
-Step three is set-up the first "Trigger" ->
Trigger: OnTransitionIn -> Function: OverlayInput1In -> Input: Graphic connected to DataSources -> Duration: n/a -> Delay: 500 (you can play around with this if necessary)-> Value: n/a
-Step four is to set-up the second "Trigger" ->
Trigger: OnTransitionIn -> Function: OverlayInput1Out -> Input: n/a -> Duration: n/a -> Delay: 7500 (you may have to adjust to accommodate DataSource timing )-> Value: n/a
-Step five is to repeat (copy or add) the previous two Triggers for each player (item) in your list.

I would suggest testing the timing with 4 or 5 Players (Trigger sequences) first before adding all 22 (or 44 Triggers) as making adjustments or tweaks will be easier since the Overlay Trigger can't be stopped once initiated (one of the down sides to automation). The biggest challenge is matching the timing sequences and why I wouldn't recommend doing it this way, but it is possible... sort of.

Ice
kgoodyer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:12:14 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Thanks Ice

I fully understand what you mean about 'syncing the triggers' and the 'rotations' through the Data Source. Il give this a go, and let you know how I get on. I have been doing 'interactive' television graphics for about 15 years now, and have used possibly every major, and a few minor ones. The project I am working on at the moment should be possible withing VMIX, but i just keep hitting little issues that need work arounds. I don't want to have to use Caspar CG (As that will mean re-coding the whole thing in flash) and in truth I don't want an external box.

I will say my hand coded XMAL is getting pretty good in the last 24 hours - highly recomend programmers notepad for anybody that wants to hack around with XMAL.

But Martin: If your reading this 'transitions' when jumping between data sources would be VERY nice, or at least an 'On Data Source Change' trigger.

All The Best

Keith
DWAM  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 6:48:26 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Keith

I found a working method to animate text only (I don't want my background title to move) and it can only work with manual trigerring (won't work with AutoNext function active). To do this I use vMixUTC, but it can also be done by vMix only with triggers.

- Create your xaml with text fields only
- create a multiview input with your title background image on top of your cam input (this is a limitation, see http://forums.vmix.com/d...aspx?g=posts&t=8622)

- then create a trigger for your xaml input that will use DataSourceNextRow with OnOverlayIn
- choose the transition effect you wish for this overlay #

Now
- send your multiview with background image to PGM
- each time you press the overlay button for this title you should get a text only transition effect.

Not perfect and far from what we do with professional tools but no xaml coding necessary.

Guillaume
Tone13  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2022 9:51:43 PM(UTC)
Tone13

Australia

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Any update on this?

I have a lower third that is always 'on air' and it constantly loops with the details of upcoming games via a google sheet data source. While everything 'works', id love to be able to mix when the data field changes rather than the abrupt and rather clunky cut it currently has. As this feature request was posted around five years ago, I'm hoping there has been a fix?!
Tone13  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2022 10:07:20 PM(UTC)
Tone13

Australia

All good, figured out the data change in and out set to fade.

Although it doesn't function properly. It's wacky! It does a fade and then the data cuts?

And I'd love a dissolve option rather than 'Fade' that way if a value doesn't change, you don't see a transition because it is dissolving from and to the same text so invisible. Fade makes it fade on and off. Still clunky

And is there a way to remove any applied animations and start again?

Seems very half baked!
doggy  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2022 10:48:53 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tone13 Go to Quoted Post

Although it doesn't function properly. It's wacky! It does a fade and then the data cuts?

And I'd love a dissolve option rather than 'Fade' that way if a value doesn't change, you don't see a transition because it is dissolving from and to the same text so invisible. Fade makes it fade on and off. Still clunky

Seems very half baked!

Don't think GT title was available back then (5 years ago)
Any ondatachange animation option will only do an on after the in has finished as such it is working properly just not the way you desire (can't have 2 different texts in the same block at the same time)

Also if on In and on Out both are set to fade it wil not show a cut , can also play with the duration of the animation

Will be hardpressed to find a solution even with legacy XAML and a bit of trickery in codebehind.
Tone13  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2022 1:05:49 AM(UTC)
Tone13

Australia

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Tone13 Go to Quoted Post

Seems very half baked!

Don't think GT title was available back then (5 years ago)
Any ondatachange animation option will only do an on after the in has finished as such it is working properly just not the way you desire (can't have 2 different texts in the same block at the same time)

Also if on In and on Out both are set to fade it wil not show a cut , can also play with the duration of the animation

Will be hardpressed to find a solution even with legacy XAML and a bit of trickery in codebehind.

Yeah good point, to do a dissolve between the two data fields would mean briefly reading from two rows which data sources don’t do. Cuts it is then!