logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Harty  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:50:47 AM(UTC)
Harty

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hello dear vMix community! My name is Thomas, I´m from germany, and I´m thinking about setting up an MacPro 5.1 for vMix.

Has anybody tried/done this before? I´m planning to use a BMD Decklink Quad2 (8CH SDI). What operating system (Win 7, 8, 10) should I use?
How much performance can I expect if I´m using a GTX680 (4GB) as a graphics card? Will there be enough space for both of them? What other cards should I add? (HDMI, DVI etc. Inputs?)

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I´m not very well in building these systems so I hope, that your knowledge could help me a little bit!

Thanks for your help, greetings from germany,

Thomas

thanks 1 user thanked Harty for this useful post.
PFBM on 2/7/2017(UTC)
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:28:35 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Harty

Welcome to the Forum Thomas.
I think you will find that Mac users are very few and far between on the forum, although I am sure the community at large has some users, getting accurate or up-to-date feed back might take a while if it comes at all.
Having said all that, Windows 10 is fully supported and is probably a "prudent" choice moving forward.
The GTX680 is a good card and should work well for you (I use a GTX670 in my PC) although it is older and may not offer some of the GPU features/capabilities of newer generation cards ( http://www.vmix.com/soft.../supported-hardware.aspx )
BMD Decklink Quad2 is also a popular card and should work well for you (although BMD hardware are known to be finicky with regards to matching settings across the board).
Again, I have no experience running vMix on a Mac with Windows, or how all those components would respond on such a system, but from my perspective, on the surface everything looks to be good.

Hope that helps some.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
Harty on 12/22/2016(UTC)
SHMD  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2016 8:50:40 AM(UTC)
SHMD

Canada

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 31 post(s)
@Harty, - Welcome to the forums and vmix.
We run all mackbook pro's and imacs with Win10 on Bootcamp with Vmix and have had no issues.
We are in the process of switching everything to Vmix after years of streaming with wirecast and ATEMs on mac platform.

Our current setup is sonnet thunderbolt expansion EPCI boxes with BMD Decklink Duo 2 cards.
After helping a local school setup live streaming I realy like all the Vmix features as it is more customizable with data feeds, scripting and remote control.

In the future I will be looking to build a rackmount PC to our spec for Vmix that will go in our flight packs... but right now the macs are working just fine.

Also go to Apple site and see if your older Mac Pro will support windows 10 with bootcamp...
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990

Let us know how it all works out...

-sheldon
thanks 1 user thanked SHMD for this useful post.
Harty on 12/23/2016(UTC)
Harty  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:56:44 AM(UTC)
Harty

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to keep you informed about my journey with vMix on a Mac Pro mid 2010.

I have everything set up and running. The MacPro now has a BMD Decklink Quad 2 installed and is running Win 8.1. There is only vMix installed, so this is fine for me. Until now, everything runs smooth! I set up 6 Inputs (5 Camera, 1 ATEM Television Studio) Render Time is on 14 ms, CPU vMIX is around 6-12% and Total is max. 20%. Is that ok? Also, what can I learn from the statistics? I´m having 1 Output via a SDI to HDMI Converter as "Main Program" (Videowall for example) and another one connected to an Odyssey 7q+ for uncompressed recording of the program. If I want to generate a "Aux" Output which should be clean (without overlays) I can just turn them off in the "Settings/Outputs Tabs, right?

Next step is to install a Nvidia GTX960, although the system is running quite smooth with the old ATI Radeon 5770.

Harty  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 5:41:49 PM(UTC)
Harty

Hello dear vMix community!

Just wanted to share this with you. I´m not sure about how many of you might understand german, but in this video I´m demonstrating my vMix
System based on the MacPro and using a 23" HP touchscreen as main control device which works like a charm...

Hope you like it...

And in this video I´m using the 4K Input (in my case a BMD Mini Recorder 4K):

Greetings from Germany,

Thomas

thanks 3 users thanked Harty for this useful post.
ask on 1/27/2017(UTC), SHMD on 1/27/2017(UTC), mburel1980 on 1/28/2017(UTC)
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 7:35:34 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Harty

Very cool set-up, although I don't understand German, your demonstration is fairly easy to follow and get the general gist of.
I also really like how you have configured your windows on the large HP touchscreen, It would be nice if the vMix GUI can someday evolve into a similar type modular dockable panels, like many of the Adobe programs I am familiar with. I am curious to know though, if perhaps some of the vMix buttons are too small, even on such a large touchscreen monitor?
Keep up the great work and keep us all posted in the "Showcase" thread.

Ice
thanks 2 users thanked IceStream for this useful post.
Harty on 1/28/2017(UTC), PFBM on 2/7/2017(UTC)
Harty  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2017 4:45:01 AM(UTC)
Harty

Thanks IceStream! The GUI is more or less fine for the touch system. The main thing I don´t like is the Layer buttons being very small. But it can still be handled...
So from my side, everything ist fine... I would´t mind if the GUI would be totally customizable, but I can live with how it is right now...

Greetings from Germany,

Thomas

richardgatarski  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2017 4:45:51 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I agree with Ice, super setup and two very good looking and informative demo videos. Congratulations!
And I understood most of what you say, remnants of my school German ;)

Since you seem to be a fan of touch control, maybe you are interested in commenting the feature request Stereoids for shortcuts: soft, virtual, and named.
thanks 2 users thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
Harty on 1/28/2017(UTC), PFBM on 2/7/2017(UTC)
h2video.nl  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:53:56 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi Thomas,

nice set up and video.

how exactly did you set up the iphone capture through the network?

stefan
Harty  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:05:43 PM(UTC)
Harty

Hi Stefan! It's quite easy. Just download the NDI Camera App in the App Store (It's around 30$ I think) Then vMix will see your iPhone (or Android device) as an NDI Source... so - nothing special here...
h2video.nl  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:53:10 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
nothing special... but its great!!

installed the app and tested it .. it just works... briliant!

I like to use a sholder shot with my productions, positioning a camera behind the speaker and on the podium and for this I need to go wireless. this ndi sollution let me use a simple ipod as a camera and hook it up. can be attached to a battery so don't need mains too.

easy. and its just a b cam for fill shots from the stage so quality can be basic.

so thanks again for the video with tip.

by the way: i am moving in a different direction from using old bulky cases to new small enclosures, just finished first steps using an intel nuc skull and akitio pcie box. check out the threat on the forum about it...

your set looks great, but can you fit it into one case to save weight and space? it is amazing what new tech is doing under the hood, like ndi and like the skull with fast iris pro gpu integrated and especially thunderbolt 3.... its going to revolutionize miniaturizing professional caputere sets. the nuc skull has got it all and its chip beats most gpu's like nvidea 1060... proce performance wose.... you don't need them for a lot of cases. And if you do just split the work, get a second nuc and connect through thunderbolt 3.

greetings
stefan
PFBM  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 3:29:50 PM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
HI !

Mac Pros are still PCs... all are intel xeon .... so.... PCs :)
treat them as such.
put in an high power gpu... windows 10 pro 64 bits.... 32 gigs of ram.... all slots filled
and go for it :)
also the same with any PC workstation with enough power :)

Cheers,

PFBM
Harty  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 3:58:17 PM(UTC)
Harty

Yepp... GTX960 and 64GB. Runs pretty smooth...
thanks 1 user thanked Harty for this useful post.
PFBM on 2/7/2017(UTC)
PFBM  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 4:20:34 PM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)