logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
midi  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 1:34:43 AM(UTC)
midi

Groups: Registered

Hello all, new here so please bear with me. Love this program. Just upgraded to vMix 10, Win7, and latest VLC 2.0.8 so I could try streaming movie content from VLC to vMix over local network. I can get Vlc to stream to itself (one win7 machine to another on same network using 1 instance of VLC on each machine), but I cannot get vMix to accept any stream whether it be rtsp udp/tcp, or ts udp/tcp or pull no matter what I try.

Is there anyone out there trying to do the same and has succeeded ? I am looking for a step by step how to from someone who is testing vMix 10 and Vlc. I have been researching using all the various protocols for days now and still have not managed to do what I am trying to. I have also tried streaming VLC 2.0.8 from a Mac with no luck. I just cannot get vMix to accept the stream.

For clarification, I am trying to: Use VLC 2.0.8, to stream on a local network, with local firewalls off, movie content (avi. file) on the machine serving the stream (Win7), to vMix 10.0.59 on the client machine receiving the stream (Win7).

One very possible problem is my own inadequate knowledge of all this, especially the various protocols address formats they are looking for such as rtsp://ip:port/? etc. It's not that I don't understand rtsp://192.168.1.1:8080/filename, etc, but it's that they are all asking for different ones I do not understand and there are no popups or extended definitions along the sides. Also adding to the problem is that fact that the names and formats of the protocols are different from vMix to Vlc.

Any help on this would be incredibly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from anyone, and wish you all happy vMixing

[|:{)

admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:29:12 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4160 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Hi,

vMix supports H264 for Video and AAC for audio.
So if you are streaming a different format in VLC you will need to set it to transcode to H264 and AAC.

1. Open VLC and go to Media -> Stream
2. Add file and click Stream
3. Click Next
4. Under Destinations and New Destination select RTSP and click Add
5. Port will default to 8554 and path as /
6. Click Activate Transcoding and select Video H264 + MP3 and click the Screwdriver icon to edit the profile
7. Under Audio Codec tab select MPEG 4 Audio (AAC) and click Save
8. Click Next and then click Stream

In vMix click Add Input and go to the Stream tab
Select RTSP over UDP from the list and type in rtsp://localhost:8554/ as the address and click OK. (Change Localhost to the IP address of the streaming computer)

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 3 users thanked admin for this useful post.
midi on 8/14/2013(UTC), Eliot Hochberg on 1/26/2017(UTC), rokuel on 10/24/2017(UTC)
macgiver76  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:26:44 AM(UTC)
macgiver76

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Why the same thing does not work in VLC instead of using a video camera created by Vmix with External Out?
Thank you!
admin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:35:09 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

macgiver76,

Not sure what you mean. vMix does not support sending RTSP streams, only receiving them.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
midi  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:42:46 PM(UTC)
midi

Hello Martin, and thank you for your quick response to my problem. I can tell you are very busy so I'll try to be brief.

Your instructions were very clear and I was able to follow them easily. However, it still did not work. But it didn't work before it ever connected to vMix. I get an error message from VLC that says "Streaming / Transcoding failed: VLC could not open the encoder".

For transcoding options, there are 2, Video - H.264 + MP3 options. One is Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4), and one that reads Video - H.264 + MP3 (TS). I chose the first to begin with, and edited it as you said, etc. I didn't try the second (TS) until the first one failed many times, and had the same result.

So I was wondering if you had tried to make the connection yourself, with the new version of VLC. Also, while editing the Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4) profile, the encapsulation tab defaulted to MP4/MOV, and under the Video Codec tab, the Bitrate and Frame Rate were at 0Kb/s, and 0.00 fps respectively, which seemed very odd. Any thoughts on these ?

From the VLC error message I gathered this is, at this point, a VLC problem. On looking closely at the VLC preferences, I found at the bottom an option to change "Show Settings" from Simple to All. And whoa, are there ever the options. So many in fact it will take me some time to go thru all the ones that might pertain to this problem. And that's what I will do, and then share my findings with you, successful or not. Oh, and I did install the H.264 codec which I downloaded from VLC.

Thank you for your time and attention,

midi
midi  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:11:57 PM(UTC)
midi

Hello Martin, and all vMixers:

I have learned a great deal since your last post, so now I know that I needed to use the profile with the TS option, due to using UDP. I have still not had any luck using VLC and have in fact tried many different programs. The one I had the most success with is Unreal Media Streamer version 10. It only uses RTSP for cameras (or live sources), so I have to try using it's UDP. That works well with VLC as the player. But when I stream to vMix, it only appears to receive the audio stream, no video at all.

Following: Select Transport Stream over UDP in vMix, port 8554, start MPEG2-TS broadcasting in Unreal (file = example.ts) on an address (192.168.250.1) and select UDP over RTP. Immediately in the vMix TSUDP 8554 input window I get in red banner Stream Error. If I do not select UDP over RTP I get a good clean audio stream, but still no video. I verified that the video is H264 and the audio is AAC.

During all my testing, I have yet to see a video stream in vMix. VLC would not even encode at all for some reason. I am still trying to sort that out as a separate issue.

In your original instructions you stated " 5. Port will default to 8554 and path as / ". And that is correct for sure. My question regarding this is: Am I supposed to be putting an actual path after the / ? VLC always fails to find the encoder at that point.

And then, one last item. Would it be possible for you to post somewhere, a short sample file, maybe 30 seconds in length, that you would consider to be the perfect H264 / AAC example file ? That way I could use that for all of my future testing.

Thank you again for your time and patience,

midi

admin  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:48:31 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi,

The instructions I provided should work with the latest version of VLC.
There will be problems when trying to use the "UDP over RTP" or "TS" options as they are not supported in this way by vMix.

The destination should be set to RTSP.

I can only guess there is a setting somewhere that has been changed from the default so it might be worth unstalling VLC
and installing again, choosing the option to delete all settings.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

midi  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:32:35 PM(UTC)
midi

Hello,

And yes, I have done that several times, on 3 different machines, and even tried the last prior version, and even a newer beta version of VLC that has just been released.

So, ok, back to RTSP and no TS option, on a fresh install with all preferences reset. Will leave path set as / and go from there.

Thanks again and have a good night.

midi
Eliot Hochberg  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:18:55 PM(UTC)
Eliot Hochberg

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
midi

I was able to get video to work on my system, using an IP stream as a source. However, I got an error on the audio as well. For me, that wasn't important, as I didn't need the audio.

I followed the admin's instructions. I had trouble for a minute because the "OK" button blends into the interface, and I was expecting something to show up in the list box.

The issue, therefore, is definitely in VLC, and I would contact them. Not sure why the AAC codec doesn't load.