logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Luc Henrion  
#21 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2012 5:14:08 AM(UTC)
Luc Henrion

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
in LatencyMon, the only thing you have to look at, under the "drivers" menu is the upper ones, showing the highest values. This value should always be lower than 1,00. On my system, it's typically under 0,4. If it goes higher you're at risk of having drop-out's. BTW, the raw power of your PC has nothing, or very little, to do with this: it's a matter of config only. Both my Sony and Asus laptops were very similar (i5, 4 GB RAM, and so on) but the Sony was unusable !
Of course, LatencyMon displays only a "risk" of drop-out's, but it's a real one... noticeably if you're trying to record multiple sources/channels of audio. On my Sony, I couldn't reliably record more than 4 tracks of audio for a few minutes... on my Asus, 2 hours of 100 tracks :-) There is a "little" difference here !
thanks 1 user thanked Luc Henrion for this useful post.
h2video.nl on 11/24/2012(UTC)
h2video.nl  
#22 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:39:38 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Very intersting and i am testing. But what do you mean bij "This value should always be lower than 1,00" what value do you mean and which drivers are possible to alter or disable...

Stefan
h2video.nl  
#23 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:03:06 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Since I am working with a laptop - checking the system with this monitor pointed to disabling the throttling of the CPU. As a default it is set to minimum 5% even when on mains power. I upped this to 100% and the programme did not indicate a problem any more.

Will test some more with recording...

Thanks for the tip: these kind of programmes really help to get a system in line.

PS i am using a laptop for mobile recording, which enables me to travel light and capture with a small footprint. But using a laptop with USB 3.0 BM intensity really is a challenge. Audio problems were one of the last hurdles...

Greetings,Stefan
Luc Henrion  
#24 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:00:58 AM(UTC)
Luc Henrion

Man

There are known problems with USB3 on laptops, some motherboards don't use the full bandwidth of USB3.
See here for example:

http://www.livestream.co...um/showthread.php?t=7708

Regarding LatencyMon, (but I suppose you found it by now?), you have to check under the "Drivers" menu the "Highest Execution Time" value, they should all be less than "1", typically "0,4" or less. If you see for example "ACPI.sys" showing a value above "1", you should check this particular process (battery management can be a nuisance!)
Greg  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:05:30 PM(UTC)
Greg

I have done some testing and here are the results.
Test 1
With wireless on and no audio playing I will get 1.0 to 3.5 from ndis.sys which is system file. Ndis 6.20 driver. Latencymon reports there could be dropouts
With wireless off the highest (.6) is from nviddmkm.sys which is an nvidia kernel mode driver from the graphic card. Version 296.20. Latencymon reports stable
Test 2
Wireless on
Importing through firewire the audio is choppy with the numbers around the same.
Importing through usb or external mic the numbers are the same but the audio from the usb and the external mic stay constant and does not become choppy. The usb did .5 number for the usbport.sys which is usb 1.1 & 2.0 port.
Wireless off
The highest number was from the usb.sys again around .5. The results were the same in vmix. Firewire imported audio was choppy but usb or external was ok. Latencymon reported stable.
I turn the wireless on and the ndis.sys comes in with a 4.8 and Latencymon reports there could be dropouts but the audio remains the same in vmix. Firewire choppy, usb and external ok.
Test 3
Using onlocation by adobe for live realtime recording.
Wireless off
Highest was again the nviddmkm.sys around .5 to .6 with the program running getting live feed there were no sound issues. Latencymon reports stable
Started recording and no change on numbers or audio.
Wireless on
The ndis.sys was the highest around 1.3. With program running getting live feed there were no audio issues. Latencymon reports there could be dropouts.
Started recording and the numbers go up a little more to around 2.5 but there are still no issues with the audio being choppy.

From this it shows there should be problems outside of vmix but it doesn't seem to affect it in onlocation or premiere. Also while there shows that a problem is possible vmix audio is ok through the usb or external mic. I know these issues had to have been present with version four but the firewire audio was fine. It was only after I installed the version 8 that this started being an issue.

Thanks for all your help
Greg
admin  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:30:39 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4153 time(s) in 1492 post(s)
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the report. I have just arrived back from overseas so I will investigate this issue in depth over the coming days.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
admin  
#27 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 1:29:03 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Greg,

I've put together an update that should fix the issue.
Install the following upgrade and let me know if it works.

http://www.vmix.com.au/download/vmix8.exe

Regards,

Martin
vMix
h2video.nl  
#28 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 4:47:33 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Hi Martin,

Would this be a recommended update for every user or do you have some kind of official update release policy ;-)

Could you elaborate on the possible fix and share some thoughts about the wider scope of the fix or only a fix for firewire users...

Greetings,
Stefan
fordry  
#29 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 4:31:34 PM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Just wanted to chime in here, I had the same issue as Greg with Windows 8. The update you linked fixed the issue for me. Thanks.
Greg  
#30 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 7:53:02 PM(UTC)
Greg

Martin
I am away at the moment but will try to get it tested in the next day or two.
Thanks
Greg
Greg  
#31 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2012 4:37:10 PM(UTC)
Greg

Martin
I ran a couple of test.
First with the wireless off the sound was good and the highest a driver ever went was .2. I let this run for about 30 minutes.
Second with the wireless on the sound was still good and the drivers started all low but when I checked it at 30 minutes the latcenymon said it wasn’t stable and the same ndys.sys was up to 7 but the audio still sounded good.
This was from a sports event where the audio was commentary that was never shown so I don’t know if this would cause the audio to be out of sync with a talking head type interview.

Can you tell me if this driver being so high will cause the audio to be out of sync if it were to be a talking head type video?

Greg
admin  
#32 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2012 7:06:57 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Greg,

Don't worry about latencymon, if the sound quality is fine then vMix will take care of any latency issues automatically.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
IceStream  
#33 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2012 11:12:43 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Great Job Martin!
Issue appears to have been resolved for me.

nICE!
Greg  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:11:41 PM(UTC)
Greg

Martin
Thanks for correcting the problem. I didn't think to record to hard drive while it was testing but I am guessing that the recorded file will be ok too.
I will test and let you know.

Thanks
Greg
Greg  
#35 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 3:47:12 PM(UTC)
Greg

I recorded a couple of different type files to hard drive for around 15 minutes each. Both recorded the audio fine and it doesn't seem to be giving any problems.

Thanks
Greg