logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
juventux  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:36:30 AM(UTC)
juventux

Groups: Registered

Dear all,

Please give me insight.

My church need to set up these two outputs as follows:

- 2 projectors for the main building, outputting Powerpoint contents.
- 3 projectors outside the building, outputting the same Powerpoint contents mixed with live feed from inside the main building.
- 1 pc for outputting Powerpoint contents
- 1 camera for outputting live feed
- 1 pc for Vmix
- 2 vga/hdmi splitters, 1 for projectors inside the main building and 1 for projectors outside.

The Vmix PC consists of:
- 1 LAN card for Desktop Capturing from the Powerpoint PC
- 1 capture card for capturing live feed from camera
- 1 internal graphic card to outputting Vmix control window
- 1 internal graphic card to outputting Preview, Output 1 and Output 2 (probably will be using Geforce GT 730 that have 3 outputs).

Outpus are:
- Output 1 for the projectors inside the main building consisting Powerpoint contents.
- Output 2 for the projectors outside, consisting Powerpoint contents mixed/transitioned with live feed.

Architecture is as follows:

UserPostedImage

I acknowledge the feature of second independent output from the edition of Vmix 4K. Is the objective above can be obtained by that second independent feature of Vmix 4K? I am new with Vmix, please give me insight how to obtain the objective above. If I need to prepare another hardware, please give me example what kind of hardware needed.

Thank you for your help.

Rgds,
Mark
juventux attached the following image(s):
VMIX GPIB Maranatha Arch.png (15kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 4:00:19 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
If your "Output 1" only consists of the PowerPoint contents, why does it have to be taken via vMix? Why can't you just feed the output of PC 1 to Splitter 1?
thanks 1 user thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
juventux on 1/14/2017(UTC)
juventux  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 6:55:16 AM(UTC)
juventux

zenvideo wrote:
If your "Output 1" only consists of the PowerPoint contents, why does it have to be taken via vMix? Why can't you just feed the output of PC 1 to Splitter 1?

We need the Output 1 to be output from Vmix (instead from PC 1) considering the needs of displaying "news headline" style information among all outputs and any possibilities in the future to also output live feed included to the Output 1.

Thank you for your question. Any further question and/or ideas, anyone?

Rgds,
Mark
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 7:12:31 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
I guess you should +1 my feature request to have a "sub-group virtual input" adressable to other inputs or outputs...
http://forums.vmix.com/d....aspx?g=posts&t=8622

At the moment, with the good vMix licence (the ones with 2 external outputs) you can only set your powerpoint feed to EXTERNAL RENDERER with an output card for it (connected to your videoprojector). Meaning you won't be able to switch from powerpoint to video using this output.

If we had what I request for, you could create a sub-group input containing for example your program output + your powerpoint input and set this to external 2 and you could then switch for this output independently of what is going to your main program output.

Not so easy to explain in english (I'm french) but I regularly use setups like yours and it's very complicated without using 2 vMix.
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:12:40 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ juventux

If I understand your set-up correctly, I believe it is very possible to achieve without too many complications.
vMix 4K and Pro have several options for Output, two for "External" Output which require a capable I/O card, and two "Fullscreeen" Outputs from a capable GPU.
My first concern, though, is with your graphics card as I have a preference for NVidia x60 and above series cards (with only two Inputs you may be fine but it's just my personal bias)
Secondly, if your Output 1 is only for PowerPoint projection, I would suggest making it your secondary Output (Display 2: dedicated to PowerPoint Input).
I would send your primary Output to the external projectors which includes camera feed and/or special effects like PiP etc.

As with all scenarios and with vMix's generous trial period, I always suggest to TEST, TEST and TEST again to verify that vMix will work for you and do what you need it to do (which based on your above description should be a more than adequate solution for you, although I am no engineer and don't know if you might require some sort of signal amplification when feeding so many projection systems, but that is beyond the scope of this conversation of vMix's suitability).

Hope that helps some
(and supporting DWAM's feature request is a good idea that will help make vMix even more versatile for such two pronged set-ups)

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:37:30 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

juventux wrote:

We need the Output 1 to be output from Vmix (instead from PC 1) considering the needs of displaying "news headline" style information among all outputs and any possibilities in the future to also output live feed included to the Output 1.

@Ask No way. This cannot be done with a single vMix. Especially with overlays that can only be applied to PROGRAM

@Juventux : the only option so far is to use 2 vMix with crossed NDI connections. This is a use case I'm stuck into for many productions.
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:10:53 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ DWAM

I disagree.
I believe juventux wants to use the "Fullscreen" Outputs of vMix 4K or Pro as independent outputs, which, AFAIK is possible (I only have vMix HD).
Overlays could be accomplished with the "MultiView" feature of individual Inputs.
Although perhaps not the most convenient methods of operation, it should be possible.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
mkeding  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:32:56 PM(UTC)
mkeding

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We have the exact same setup using the vMix 4K edition.

AJA Kona 3G capture card (4 SDI)
nVidia GForce 1070 video card.
MAC running Pro Presenter using NDI

Inputs
1-3: Cameras (AJA ports 1-3)
4: Pro Presenter via NDI

Outputs
Video Card Output 1: vMix Main Screen
Video Card Output 2: vMix Multiview Screen for Camera / Lighting tech
Video Card Output 3: Main output to HDMI Splitter
External 2: AJA Port port 4 - Input 4 (Pro Presenter) - SDI to HDMI Splitter

External 2 is set to send input 4 therefore no overlays etc. This is fine for us and if we need additional "overlays", we can do that in Pro Presenter. Not as elegant as vMix but still has lots of features that may meet your needs. Better then using PowerPoint :)

As stated by juventux, if you really need a different Main output, then you would need a second copy of vMix.

Martin

mkeding attached the following image(s):
Soul VMix Training.001.png (646kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked mkeding for this useful post.
DWAM  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:00:22 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

@IceStream
Let's say he sets his FULLSCREEN OUT 2 to Powerpoint (or multiview) input
How can he switch to something else on this output? Unless he goes to SETTINGS to manually change the new input to use each time he needs to switch for VP1.
Yes technically doable but really not convenient. When you deal with so many inputs/outputs you really don't have the time to change your settings while in production.

For the overlays, there is an easier solution:
Set Overlay 1 & 2 to PROGRAM/FULLSCREEN 1 (MAIN output)
Set Overlay 3 & 4 to FULLSCREEN/EXTERNAL 2
I just tried it works. Unless you need the same XAML title to send different content to both screens at the same time.
IceStream  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:53:02 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ DWAM

That's why I have supported your Feature Request for "Auxiliary Switching" abilities.
Although vMix is quite powerful and what jubentux wants to do is already possible in my estimation, it just might be a lot more versatile and easily altered with the features you suggest...
(note that you can also use the same Input on multiple Overlay channels)

@ mkeding

Awesome set-up!
Any particular challenges or issues in achieving or sustaining that workflow?

Ice
thanks 2 users thanked IceStream for this useful post.
DWAM on 1/14/2017(UTC), juventux on 1/14/2017(UTC)
Digitalson  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 1:46:06 AM(UTC)
Digitalson

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It's like having multiple me' on a switcher,what u can do is just use a out from preview to a seperate out then just take outputs without putting them in preview,the u sorta have a 2 me console