logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
G3racingMike  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 8:32:08 AM(UTC)
G3racingMike

Groups: Registered

I've been thinking of setting up a system running VMix on a new Macbook Pro running under Fusion.
Has anyone tried this?
I'm looking for the best performance from a laptop for a mobile application.
Thank you for any help deciding.
Mike
stevespaw  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 12:45:41 PM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
It will be a no go, It will work fine with Boot Camp though.

Also what are your Video I-O needs, laptops are very limited.

Why waste your money on a MAC is the question? Why not something like this?
Laptop

You have Thunderbolt for I-O options

Steve
thanks 1 user thanked stevespaw for this useful post.
al4video on 12/16/2016(UTC)
SHMD  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2016 10:03:07 AM(UTC)
SHMD

Canada

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Not to start a Mac or PC war as they are just tools to be used by all of us...

We run macs in our studio as we do all our audio, offline and in the field editing in fcpx and motion... we made the mistake a few years ago and switched to adobe primere as we did not like the changes made in fcpx. After a year we tested out fcpx and wow it was way faster... so we switched back.
Now we run tests every so often, on a recent 2 minute video production it took premire 26 minutes to render with effects and colour correction. The exact same edit in fcpx was less than 1 minute. So time is money when doing edits. I can honestly say fcpx saves us hours each week in the speed of editing and rendering footage, especially 4K. So I do not see purchasing a mac as wasting money, actually I am saving money.

Now this is just on the mac side, but I have seen and used pc's for editing on laptops and in studios with premire and they are never as snappy as a mac with fcpx.

Here is a video from a PC user that shows some good examples vs pc...

So there is no reason not to use bootcamp to run vmix, but still have the power of the mac software when you need it. Now if you do everything in Premiere and pc software then I would go with a PC desktop or laptop with thunderbolt so you can add expansion box.

We are presently running Vmix with bootcamp and thunderbolt expansion boxes with ePCI cards... and are happy with the results.
In the future I am sure we will build a 4U win10 computer just for vmix.

So all this to say computers and os is just tools for us creative types to create. No one is better, just use the one that works best for you and the job.

-s

G3racingMike  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2016 10:45:24 AM(UTC)
G3racingMike

Thank you both for sharing.
The primary function would be to run VMix, but if it would run with Fusion I could do some other tasks I need on the side under linux or Windows.
:)
stevespaw  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2016 5:57:50 PM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

SHMD wrote:
Not to start a Mac or PC war as they are just tools to be used by all of us...

We run macs in our studio as we do all our audio, offline and in the field editing in fcpx and motion... we made the mistake a few years ago and switched to adobe primere as we did not like the changes made in fcpx. After a year we tested out fcpx and wow it was way faster... so we switched back.
Now we run tests every so often, on a recent 2 minute video production it took premire 26 minutes to render with effects and colour correction. The exact same edit in fcpx was less than 1 minute. So time is money when doing edits. I can honestly say fcpx saves us hours each week in the speed of editing and rendering footage, especially 4K. So I do not see purchasing a mac as wasting money, actually I am saving money.

Now this is just on the mac side, but I have seen and used pc's for editing on laptops and in studios with premire and they are never as snappy as a mac with fcpx.

Here is a video from a PC user that shows some good examples vs pc...

So there is no reason not to use bootcamp to run vmix, but still have the power of the mac software when you need it. Now if you do everything in Premiere and pc software then I would go with a PC desktop or laptop with thunderbolt so you can add expansion box.

We are presently running Vmix with bootcamp and thunderbolt expansion boxes with ePCI cards... and are happy with the results.
In the future I am sure we will build a 4U win10 computer just for vmix.

So all this to say computers and os is just tools for us creative types to create. No one is better, just use the one that works best for you and the job.

-s

Silly statement here, whatever, but you are comparing 2 different pieces of editing software. and The video you posted was just as misdirected.
His question was about vMix. If you want to start an editing SOFTWARE debate, start another thread. I stand but the fact that using an overpriced Mac for vMix is a waste.

Steve
G3racingMike  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 1:42:36 PM(UTC)
G3racingMike

Golly Steve...

You didn't clearly answer the question either.
Have you tried Fusion?
It would allow running virtual sessions and so could have more than one OS at the Same Time.
stevespaw  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 12:53:08 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Sorry, but I thought I was clear. It will ONLY run as Bootcamp. It needs direct hardware access. This has been discussed in many threads.

And thus, if running Bootcamp, you might as well be using a PC.

Sorry if that was too blunt,

Happy New Year !

Steve