logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cpilcher  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2016 10:01:48 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Hey Guys,

I have the same reoccurring troubles with my vMix Projects. I have a few different audio devices, both installed internally and USB connected. I have a Scarlet 18i20 USB Interface, ATOMOS Ninja Recorder, Black Magic Intensity Pro, Magewell HDMI capture card, as well as the installed PC Sound card...

When I get my Project setup correctly and running smooth prior to an event I save my settings and shutdown the PC. At the venue I will start the PC and open my saved Project... Windows 10 seems to grab any device it wants to use as the default Playback and Recording device. This can create issues such as not being able to bring in my mics from the Scarlet Device (BASS ERROR), or not getting my master audio output to the ATOMOS Ninja Recorder. Sometimes it grabs the Magewell or Blackmagic audio feeds from the HDMI capture cards...

My question to you is... Is there a way to lock these devices so Windows will leave them available for vMix? I can trouble shoot most of these issues quickly now, but every once in a while it throws a curve ball at me and I have to go in to panic mode to try to fix the problem.

This PC is used strictly for vMix productions so I would like to get the audio the way I need it and hopefully have it stay that way... Thanks.

Chuck

SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2016 10:31:16 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Do you disable the internal PC sound card for recording and playback in Control Panel/Sound?

Do you use the audio from the Black Intensity Pro in your productions?
Cpilcher  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2016 10:53:47 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

I have disabled the sound card in the past, but that just guarantees one of the other devices will get taken over by windows... Leaving it enabled still gives me random problems like this though.

I do use audio from the capture cards. My main audio feeds come from Headset Mics on my commentary crew from the Scarlet USB Interface, but I use the camera audio as ambient noise and to capture the sounds from the fight.

Chuck
SportsNetUSA.net  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 2:49:03 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
What has worked best for me is to disable the computer's internal/built in audio device for recording. Then my USB audio device gets set as the default device for recording. I've used this on both my vMix desktop and laptop systems.

That seems to keep everything in the correct "order" with no surprises, though I do check it to make sure. I still have the ability to use audio from the cameras, which I normally don't do, but did for a shoot a week ago.

Cpilcher  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 3:23:11 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Thanks, I'm doing a lot of testing this week getting ready for a satellite broadcast event. I'll reply to let you know how things go after I make that change.