logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
h2video.nl  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2016 3:14:17 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi Martin,

skipped v17 now testing v18 beta.

first stop: desktop capture. so tried that and maybe I missed some discussions but would like to know how to do or het back a number of options:

where to disable or enable the pointer
where to enable disable audio
how to set the frame rate
how do i set the capture quality

how do i check the captured screen resolution.

i frequently use desktop capture, it's one of the most powerfull features. but i also frequently use this feature over wifi at a public venue with many users. last tuesday recorded in two rooms 10 presentations all over the same public wifi system.

so i need to be able to be in full control, disable features i don t need, set quality levels, frame rates,audio pointer etc.
now the framerate is set to the screen framerate of the captured screen ( i guess ) but when there is nothing to capture ( powerpoint ) I see a lot of dropped frames etc.

Sollution?
Stefan
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2016 3:32:47 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi Stefan,

I have moved this to a new topic as its not specific to the 18 beta.

As for the various options, these are now controlled in the vMix Desktop Capture program itself
under the Settings button.
The reason for this move is these settings are usually only configured once per source laptop/pc.
To disable audio, use the mute button under the input as normal.

For quality, in vMix right click the input and you will have a Low Bandwidth mode option if needed.

The current screen resolution being captured can be found from Input Settings

Dropped frames is normal if nothing is moving on the screen, vMix Desktop Capture wont send frames that haven't changed
and vMix itself will count these as dropped and just duplicate the last frame instead.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
h2video.nl  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2016 3:43:32 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

thanks for the quick reply.

where is the desktop capture topic, and where to disable mouse cursor.

stefan
admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2016 3:57:41 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Click Settings in the vMix Desktop Capture utility itself for the cursor, frame rate and audio options.
h2video.nl  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2016 4:08:32 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

i am catching up with v18 from v16 and looking at the new desktop capture.

just wondering how to disable / enable the mouse cursor arrow in the capture and where to set the settings in the apple app.

stefan
h2video.nl  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2016 4:31:12 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

well catching up on this topic now and testing v18 beta.

i frequently use desktop capture so this is an important feature for me. typical use: last tuesday recorded 10 software demos where the presenters bring their own laptops and i have five minutes to prep their machines to be able to capture their screen in realtime and hd.

i need to get them on the network, be able to see the machine and install the desktop capture programme and get it on my recording machine.

in v16 and before i could control getting the mouse cursor and the input quality from the recording machine, so incase a presenter is starting to use the mouse cursur as a pointer, i could simply input a new desktop capture and enable the mouse. same for quality and sound.

now this has moved to the desktopcapture settings on the presenter machine.

this will work ok if i use my own laptop and i can control everything, but not when the laptop is on the stage far away and in use of a presentation.

i would therefor welcome a desktop capture programme that will allow me to control everything in my recorder, so from vmix.

in addition i would recommend to have a choise between dynamic framegrabbing and fixed framegrabbing. so if set to dynamic the frequency will vary with activity and if set to 5, 15 or 25 the framerate is fixed.

last but not least: before i had 3 quality levels, now only high and low bandwidth. wpuld be good to know what high and low is and amounts to, because maybe its nothing much in relation to the available bandwidth. this is important when i use desktop capture over the available wifi, shared with other users ( think of 100 to sometimes 1000 people in a public theater) - i always bring my own wifi but this can not be used sometimes because of restrictions or not being able to connect my wifi to the internet so only local use.

needles to say desktop capture is very important to me and a core feature. having a simple desktop capture exe is important. the new desktop capture requires also a config and dll file. i you forget to copy the along it wount work. one more liability sqeezed into the 5 and sometimes 2 minutes i have to hook a presenters laptop on to vimix and get of the stage...

have a look at my latest recordings this week on www.stowavideo.nl ( scroll down a little for flood demos)
stefan
admin  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2016 6:12:35 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Stefan,

A lot of the settings you could control in 16 were there as a result of limitations in the desktop capture in 16 and earlier.
With the release of NDI, these limitations have been fixed and desktop capture was rebuilt from the ground up to no longer need settings to be configured on the fly.

For example:

1. Cursor: Powerpoint and other fullscreen apps automatically hide the cursor and the new desktop capture detects this.
In 16 this was not detected so the cursor needed to be turned off manually.

2. Quality: NDI allows much better quality and reduced bandwidth, so the three quality settings are no longer needed.
For example, the HighJPEG setting used 200Mbit at full HD 30fps, while NDI at similar quality uses half of that (~100Mbit).

3. Performance and Frame Rate: The new desktop capture engine is completely rebuilt for performance.
A typical computer might struggle to capture higher than 20fps on most computers in version 16, while the new desktop capture
can reach 30fps and beyond, all while using less than half the CPU as before.

The new desktop capture is also much better at adaptive frame rates, setting it to 25fps, will only result in 1fps or less
if nothing on screen is moving, optimising bandwidth and performance, and will only jump up to the maximum when needed.

All this means, the need to set the cursor, quality and frame rate are no longer necessary and I would recommend leaving these all
at their default settings, with the exception of frame rate which you may want to set to 25fps in PAL regions to match the vMix frame rate.
(But this too, is a "set and forget" setting unless you will be regularly switching between 30 and 25fps productions)

Regards,

Martin
vMix