logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ph0en1x  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2016 11:08:44 AM(UTC)
Ph0en1x

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Does anyone know what hardware mostly determines the performance of animated (storyboarded) .xaml-files? For instance, attached .xaml doesn't operate smoothly in an empty preset of vMix on my 32gb RAM, i7 CPU, GTX 960 GPU system. Rendertimes and CPU load displayed by vMix are both negligible.
File Attachment(s):
Facts.xaml (36kb) downloaded 49 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
stigaard  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2016 11:29:24 AM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Ph0en1x wrote:
Does anyone know what hardware mostly determines the performance of animated (storyboarded) .xaml-files?

I actually discussed this with Martin at IBC. He mentioned that the CPU is handling all animation of the xaml file, and I'm pretty sure Martin said that there's not way that the GPU can take over this task to render the animations.. :-(

As I see the problem there's two options for you:
A) Buy a faster CPU :-) :-) :-)
B) Reduce the master resolution/framerate in vMix.

It will run smoother when reducing the master output resolution or framerate. I've been personally doing that with some complex xaml animations. I reduced the resolution to 576p (668x576), and it made the animation smooth.

I haven't figured out any other way around this problem..
doggy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2016 1:01:14 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
What is it with the designed time not matching the display time (slower)

found that xaml animation framerate is standard 60fps, so set TimeLine.DesiredFrameRate = lower ?
Ph0en1x  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2016 4:26:01 AM(UTC)
Ph0en1x

stigaard wrote:
Ph0en1x wrote:
Does anyone know what hardware mostly determines the performance of animated (storyboarded) .xaml-files?

I actually discussed this with Martin at IBC. He mentioned that the CPU is handling all animation of the xaml file, and I'm pretty sure Martin said that there's not way that the GPU can take over this task to render the animations.. :-(

As I see the problem there's two options for you:
A) Buy a faster CPU :-) :-) :-)

Meh, i use a 4790k, should be pretty fast right?
Quote:

B) Reduce the master resolution/framerate in vMix.

Again, meh. ;) I want to output 1080p. Or isn't that what you mean?

I could of course do the animation in a video file or image sequence and overlay the data, but i don't have any channels left...

doggy wrote:
What is it with the designed time not matching the display time (slower)

found that xaml animation framerate is standard 60fps, so set TimeLine.DesiredFrameRate = lower ?

I have to confess that i don't know anything about xaml coding. I reverse engineered an existing title and build upon it in Blend for Visual Studio. Can you elaborate on your content? My xaml is set to 60fps but my project is (for instance) 25?
admin  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2016 5:42:03 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4159 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Rendering of XAML titles is done on the CPU as Stigaard mentioned, but there are certain things you can do to keep
this as low as possible:

1. Avoid using effects, particularly those that involve blurring or blending with other layers such as drop shadow effects.
2. If possible, build graphical elements with effects as PNG files ahead of time and incorporate these into your animations.

As a quick test I removed all the drop shadows from the title and instead of dropping frames at 27% CPU
it is now running smoothly at around 11%. This is on an older quad core 3.6 Ghz CPU.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
Ph0en1x on 10/21/2016(UTC)
Ph0en1x  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2016 12:08:05 PM(UTC)
Ph0en1x

admin wrote:
Rendering of XAML titles is done on the CPU as Stigaard mentioned, but there are certain things you can do to keep
this as low as possible:

1. Avoid using effects, particularly those that involve blurring or blending with other layers such as drop shadow effects.
2. If possible, build graphical elements with effects as PNG files ahead of time and incorporate these into your animations.

As a quick test I removed all the drop shadows from the title and instead of dropping frames at 27% CPU
it is now running smoothly at around 11%. This is on an older quad core 3.6 Ghz CPU.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Awesome, i tried removing the shadows and now the (flatter) title appears flawless. It's too bad the depth from the title is gone, though. Might look for a middle road. I haven't found an option to add bevels, though i assume that effect would follow the same logic as the shadows as far as performance goes.

Thanks!