logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikekay  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 6:33:48 PM(UTC)
mikekay

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I just ran a 3 days of festival with version 17...Computer is an I7 6700, 32 GB ram, 480 GB SSD, Blackmagic Quad 2, MSI GTX 1070 graphics card, and 4 TB storage drive. The system board is an ASUS Z170 chipset. I can't remember model off hand.

I was running 5 or 6 hd camera inputs, audio via an M-Audio 2626, 40 or so graphic images, canned video, output to two screens on each side of stage.

I was recording at 1920x1080, 16 bit, 59.95 frames/sec with zero dropped frames over a three hour show. No glitches or issues at all in the video output.

A few things did happen. During one show I accidentally closed one of my cameras and could not restart it. Got a cryptic - this is busy - error message. I also had a lot of trouble with the new NDI. I had to use a new computer, which is disappointing as my needs for this technology is quite limited, just Powerpoint for the most part.

One feature that I would like to see added, yes I will post this to the feature request as well, is the ability to select numerous graphic images at one time. It got pretty tedious to add 40 graphics one at a time.

The ability to decouple the input screen, or unpin, like the audio mixer, would make this program WAY better. I had 6 camera inputs, 40 graphics, 6 videos and numerous titles - With that many inputs, I cannot scroll and keep up with a show. What I do is use two monitors and resize the screen so the inputs break onto the second monitor. Not the best or greatest way to have to work.

I am still pretty impressed with vmix. Thanks for the great program. I am back at it for a 6 day festival starting the 20th.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 7:41:43 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mikekay

Congratulations on a successful festival!
Can you elaborate more on your workflow and your request for "the ability to select numerous graphic images at one time", are you not able to use the "Photos" input to add a complete folder of graphic images?
Also, in terms decoupling the input screen (perhaps worth a feature request), is your workflow not conducive to using the coloured "Category" tabs?
It sounds like you are either using a touch screen or a mouse to do your switching, which may be fine for basic productions but will quickly become difficult to manage with three or more rows of "Inputs".
I would highly recommend using a control surface and/or setting up some "Shortcuts" (if you haven't already) to manage a production with that many inputs.

Ice
mikekay  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 7:57:39 PM(UTC)
mikekay

So, I had pictures and album covers of numerous bands and other things, all in JPEG format. I used add input, graphics. When there you can only select one image, at a time. So you have to do the process over and over. 40 times...it took me a while on a tight time schedule.

What I did is go over the show with the host, and we ordered the graphics, I renamed them by numbers only, and colour coded them as well. Colour coding would be way more effective if it changed the colour of the header where the name appears, rather than just the little icon on the bottom right.

True, I have not yet worked with shortcuts - but simply unpinning the input screen and allowing me to move and resize it on another monitor would solve the issue. This is the way I would prefer.

The control surface it too expensive. Plain and simple, I cannot afford it. $2195 USD = 3K Canadian plus shipping. A mouse is way cheaper. I have never considered this before...do you know if you can use a USB based audio mixer control surface for switching....that would be interesting.

My rig is mounted in one rack mount. 6' high, dual monitor separate audio recording system, UPS, all inputs wired to panels (not fully finished yet) but getting there. Will post pics later.

IceStream  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 9:00:47 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mikekay

Just about any MIDI device with USB connectivity can be used as a control surface.
There might be some anomalies with certain devices, but for the most part they are an affordable and versatile alternative to the actual vMix Control surface.
The list is probably too long to recite but a quick search through the forum will highlight what many vMixers are using in their workflow.
I use a Novation LaunchPad (which I have some minor issues with, as I have documented in previous posts) and the guys at vMix use and have provided support for the Akai APC40 MK2 in earlier versions of the "Fun Time Live Show". They are also providing support for X-Keys devices so your options are plentiful.

Ice
mikekay  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 9:06:31 PM(UTC)
mikekay

Cool! Never thought about this. I own a APC40 MK2.
curtismacd31  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 10:13:23 PM(UTC)
curtismacd31

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
mikekay wrote:

output to two screens on each side of stage.

@mikekay How did you deal with lipsync latency on your stage screens? that is one thing that has kept me from using vMix in a lot of smaller iMag events.
sinc747  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:15:07 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 161 post(s)
@mikekay - use select (CTRL & left click), drag & drop from Windows Explorer to add multiple files as vMix Input at one time. Easy peasy.

- Tom
mikekay  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2016 9:07:13 AM(UTC)
mikekay

sinc747 wrote:
@mikekay - use select (CTRL & left click), drag & drop from Windows Explorer to add multiple files as vMix Input at one time. Easy peasy.

- Tom

Tried that - It did not work.
mikekay  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2016 9:11:52 AM(UTC)
mikekay

curtismacd31 wrote:
mikekay wrote:

output to two screens on each side of stage.

@mikekay How did you deal with lipsync latency on your stage screens? that is one thing that has kept me from using vMix in a lot of smaller iMag events.

I have had problems before with latency. What I did is put a delay on my main audio outputs to compensate for sync. I have used up to 8 MS delay..which starts to get noticeable, and it did not make sync perfect, just better.

With my new system, I am running at below 4 MS delay. The sync problem is not noticeable, or very slight. And it works....
mikekay  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2016 11:12:04 AM(UTC)
mikekay

Latency. I only have guesses. With my older system, latency was a problem. Now it is not now, so I figure it is the power of the computer OR more likely the GPU. I7 6700 processor and a MSI GTX 1070 with 8 GB, plus 32 GB ram. I also made sure that my PCIE lanes were fully open for the devices I am using. I minimize conversions at the output and have quality devices. Using display port output with a DP to HDMI converter directly into the graphics card - then that goes into an HDMI splitter, that goes into a Kramer 571 to send signal to projector via cat 6...I split that HDMI and send to second projector. My cams are all HD over SDI with quality converters.

I am getting no video artifacts, blurring or any issues whatsoever. I am recording at 1920x1080 16 bit, 59.94 FPS and recorded a show for over three hours with no dropped frames.

Its working.
mikekay  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2016 11:42:04 AM(UTC)
mikekay

It is not perfect, but so close that you have to watch closely to notice a problem. Again, I compensate by delaying the main audio outputs by 2 to 4 MS - and voila - near perfect sync. Your average person is not seeing any issues.
Mathijs  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2016 6:44:18 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
If you select 40 images from the windows explorer and drag and drop them on the vmix inputs area, they will be added all at one time. ;)
thanks 1 user thanked Mathijs for this useful post.
mikekay on 10/18/2016(UTC)
sinc747  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 11:26:48 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Mathijs wrote:
If you select 40 images from the windows explorer and drag and drop them on the vmix inputs area, they will be added all at one time. ;)

That's what I said! ;)

- Tom
Mathijs  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2016 4:52:48 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Quote:
That's what I said! ;)

- Tom

Indeed you did.
Guess I answered directly after reading the question and didn't bother to read the entire thread. ;)