logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mathijs  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2016 2:22:07 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
I would like to request joystick-support for the XK-12 and other xkeys boards with a joystick. At this moment vMix can see joystick movement as left, right, up, down plus combinations, but the joystick actually has high precision values like the T-bar on the XK-124-T.
Also the Z axis (rotation of the stick) is not registered at all.

I wish this to be usable on X-Y coordinates and zoom of a input. So if I get a 4K camera as input, I can adjust these to cut shots from it.
It would also be nice to add an option to a vMix input that locks the x-y axis and zoom at the edges, so that moving the shot off the original borders is impossible when set.
bcolgate  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2016 8:36:13 PM(UTC)
bcolgate

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Interesting you mention this. I just had a dialog with Nick at Rocosoft about using that P.I. Engineering joystick with his software, and he too mentions that the Z values do not translate into his software (though my Logitech Attack3 Joystick does).

What I heard back was this:
--
All Professional USB Joysticks use Z-AXIS for that twisting of the handle.
The X-Keys somehow decided to use Z-ROTATION for twisting. We don't see any
logic for this but that is how it is.
--

HTH,

-Bruce
kane  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2016 11:44:41 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
I can second what Nick is saying about the X-key joystick. It doesn't 'snap back' when you twist it, but instead rotates forever. As you rotate it has a maximum range of -1 to 1 that it will report back. Keep rotating pass 1 (or -1) and the value doesn't go any farther.

Despite that, I have made this joystick work for PTZ control (not with vMix, but using my own written HTML/JavaScript app that controls the PTZ system of a competitive product to vMix). What I did was read the value from the joystick to get a speed between 0 and 1 and used a button on the joystick to issue a zoom in or zoom out command to work with this speed. Would still like a twisting joystick, but it works.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
PI48895  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2016 11:55:21 AM(UTC)
PI48895

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
bcolgate wrote:
Interesting you mention this. I just had a dialog with Nick at Rocosoft about using that P.I. Engineering joystick with his software, and he too mentions that the Z values do not translate into his software (though my Logitech Attack3 Joystick does).

What I heard back was this:
--
All Professional USB Joysticks use Z-AXIS for that twisting of the handle.
The X-Keys somehow decided to use Z-ROTATION for twisting. We don't see any
logic for this but that is how it is.
--

HTH,

-Bruce

Hi All. The logic behind using Z-Rotation vs Z-axis is for exactly the reason also mentioned here. The rotation of our stick does not return to center. If we reported the value as Z-axis, most software would treat it as if it were constantly turning and that could potentially be really awful. As I understand it, Z-rotation is defined as a fixed position value which is better suited for our stick. We are working on a return-to-center design, but no release date has been scheduled. Thanks - Dan
thanks 1 user thanked PI48895 for this useful post.
bcolgate on 10/6/2016(UTC)
bcolgate  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 6, 2016 12:52:03 AM(UTC)
bcolgate

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks Dan,
It's great to have your authoritative response. I'm a big fan of the product line, so not having that functionality is sorely missed.

Will look forward to new products as they are announced!

- Bruce