logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mrbryce2000  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 11:02:19 AM(UTC)
mrbryce2000

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Greetings,

I have been helping my church to start live streaming the services. It's a small church, so this is a big deal for the community.

We currently have the basic HD license, but could really use two or three additional inputs for video loops and a third camera. We can't even think about affording the higher HD license. Is there a way to purchase additional inputs, or provide a Basic HD+ license that would allow 8 or 10 inputs?

Thank you for your time.
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 6:26:41 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 162 post(s)
Mr. Bryce,

This question has been asked several times before. A "search" will help you track down those answers.

Basically what the answer was, if I can paraphrase and elaborate: the staff with vMix spends countless hours producing and supporting an outstanding product that they have, in my opinion, priced well below market value. They deserve every penny they get from sales of the software. Software sales are their only source of income for their business and thus their salaries. The free Basic SD license and $50 Basic HD license provide far more value to the end user than the meager purchase price. I'm betting that the vMix guys and gals hope that this user, through using the software, will recognize the value of upgrading to a full package (vMix SD or vMix HD) at some point.

This answer is not intended as a beat-down to you for asking, but rather an explanation that, perhaps, the vMix folks might not feel comfortable in saying as I have.

While I am sympathetic to the difficulty of raising funds in a tight economy, I believe that it can be done. If the streaming for your church has value, people will support it. Just like paying the rent, the electricity bill, and any other church expense.

However, with the thought that your church is in that dire circumstance and cannot at this time afford to make this purchase, if you will start a Fund Me* campaign, I will contribute $50 to that effort. I'll bet there are other forum members that would join in.

- Tom

* or similar online fund raising method

Note to vMix Mod: If I have overstepped my bounds, please slap my hand and set me straight.
thanks 3 users thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
hellokitty on 9/5/2016(UTC), Ed Tech on 9/6/2016(UTC), mjgraves on 9/11/2016(UTC)
ask  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 9:05:13 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Suggest you have a look here: http://www.vmix.com/purchase/churches.aspx
thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
corporatejames on 9/5/2016(UTC)
Peter B  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 3:03:48 PM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
sinc747 wrote:

`priced well below market value. They deserve every penny they get from sales of the software.'

+10 to that, please support vMix, there's nothing else like it.
mrbryce2000  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 4:33:16 PM(UTC)
mrbryce2000

Sinc747:

I did search for my question in these forums without any results, that is why I am asking. Also, I completely agree about vMix deserving every penny they get, that's why I highly recommend them to everyone who asks me what they should use for IMAG productions, why I had my church purchase their own Basic HD license, and why I also purchased my own.

What everyone also needs to understand is that there are small churches that are right in the middle of poverty class neighborhoods, where it is an act of faith just to pay the electric bill. This is the situation of my church. They are growing, but also have a need to minister to and help sister churches in similar areas across the country, as well as reach out to shut-ins. The only way is by streaming the service.

I am VERY grateful for vMix adding the ability to stream via Facebook Live, otherwise we would have never made it this far!

Please notice that I did not ask for additional inputs, but asked to purchase additional inputs. There is a gap in the license structure between Basic HD and SD that really needs to be addressed to help churches in this situation. Having a license like Basic HD+ for $125 that provides 10 total inputs would definitely help. I would purchase it myself for my church!

Ask:

I have investigated the vMix for churches twice. To be honest, and this is nothing against vMix, but it seems that they are only granting licenses to larger churches. I've tried twice with no response, a friend of mine who runs tech at a significantly sized church received approval within an hour, and he sent his request at the same time. Again, nothing against vMix, it's understandable that granting a license to a large church would guarantee some sort of advertising for vMix, which they definitely deserve!

So everyone please don't misunderstand me. I am NOT asking for a handout, just the ability to purchase a few extra inputs in order to fulfill our current needs. Eventually I would love to be able to purchase a vMix Go!

~ Bryce
ask  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 12:26:15 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Hi Bryce. I don't believe that vMix discriminates on size. Can I suggest you send a followup email explaining your business case for the free licence. Martin is very receptive.
admin  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 5:04:57 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Hi,

I wanted to provide my thoughts on this, as we receive a lot of enquiries along these lines.
As many people will know, vMix will built out of the needs for my own church, so where practical I try to price vMix
to cater to churches on a limited budget.

Basic HD is what I came up with, and it is provided at a substantial discount to help churches and other non-profits get started with live streaming.
This discount means we can't create a version with 5-10 inputs at a price somewhere in between, as $350 is already amazing value and we have to pay the bills!

That said, Basic HD already has support for up to 3 cameras, and 4 inputs total. This provides the church with the ability to setup a couple of cameras (or even webcams) add a title, video and powerpoint and start streaming in HD!
Generally, once the requirements become more than that, the church has the budget to afford multiple cameras etc and therefore $350 is a very small amount in the scheme of things.

As for the vMix for Churches program, sorry you didn't receive a license but rest assured it is most certainly not based on how large the church is, in fact it is usually the opposite.
It would not be appropriate to disclose the criteria of the program other than to say it is provided as a courtesy, and is up to our discretion.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
bcolgate on 9/9/2016(UTC), mjgraves on 9/11/2016(UTC)
bcolgate  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 11:54:20 AM(UTC)
bcolgate

In addition to clicking the "thanks" button, I thought it an opportune time to say Thanks to Martin and the vMix team for creating and offering this great bit of software. Our church only uses the HD license to record and stream to YouTube (www.youtube.com/TrinityFairfield), using a BMD switcher to feed it, but it is exactly what our church needed, at an AMAZING price point.

Thanks again Martin - I hope God blesses your socks off.

-Bruce
tdurhamjr  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 2:21:58 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
It has been a good while since I have been on the forum. I just want to echo the thanks to Martin and staff for a WONDERFUL product!! I have used the pro license several years for my sport streaming and I also setup vMix for our church. The capabilities of vMix are just amazing. I use vMix in the church to manage 2 things at once - the images (cams, videos, etc) on the front screens and also what is being recorded/streamed because they are not always the same. The power of this software is amazing and Martin is a brainchild for the work he has done!! They are gracious for issuing any church licenses and it is worth every penny if churches are required to buy it. For newbies to vMix, you will learn alot from the regulars on this forum (ice, ask, and sinclair to name a few) if you just take the time to read thru the abundant information here. Thanks again vMix crew!!
Ittaidv  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 4:04:13 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Same here, we started with the demo, a few rented gopro's and an editing pc with a few mini monitors. Now we have 2 licenses, a huge amount of gear and a succesfull business which is involved in some seriously big productions. We're even taking jobs away from huge tv production houses. Even with dirt cheap hardware, you can produce movies with vmix that look really pro, it just depends on your skills.

What I like about vmix is the upgrade path: you can start really small and for an affordable price, and work your way up slowly to productions as big as you want them and your hardware allows.

In my opinion pricing is correct or even too low, taken into consideration many users use it to make a living. I can imagine the price is high for a small church, but compared to ANY serious product on the market, it's dirt cheap. I can imagine it would be used to draw more people towards the church and make it grow. Depending of your content, social media skills and attractivness of the video, it should lead to positive results and more church goers. So if you believe that live video will bring all that, then consider it as an investment, that will pay itself back after some time.

If you really want more inputs without paying for them, there is a simple trick we sometimes uses in the beginning: we had an hdmi switch with several camera's connected to it. We would switch the hdmi source when in preview, and cut it into program once switched. We did it because we didn't have enough capture cards and gpu power, and nobody ever noticed.

thanks 1 user thanked Ittaidv for this useful post.
mjgraves on 9/11/2016(UTC)