logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Psing  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 12:23:35 PM(UTC)
Psing

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi there!

I need to connect 3 computers running VMix so they can share some contents by NDI.

What is the better solution for achieving that?

Do I need a router or just a switch? What's the best solution for that?

Any brand/model recomended?

All machines have fixed Ip's and will not connect to the internet.

With the switch only, can I add a wireless access point in the future? (all with fixed ip's)

Many thanks.
RoboST  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 12:52:43 PM(UTC)
RoboST

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
We actually have a setup like this (but we do have a router and need external access) and I had vMix (Trial) running on 5 computers, 4 as ndi source (with cameras / mics) and 5th for recording via NDI.

We have our main router (Asus 68R running merlin f/w) and 2 Gigabit switches. The vMix source pc's are wired to one of the switches as is a access point. Each switch is wired to the 68R as is the recording PC. Another access point is connected to the 2nd switch as is a couple other PC's (servers) and devices for other things. The access points and 68R provide wireless coverage (dual bands) for the entire location (but no NDI traffic).

Psing  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 2:03:57 PM(UTC)
Psing

Man

So, do you think I will need a router or just a switch?
What is the brand/model of your gigabit switchs?
ovinas  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 2:15:36 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
For now you just need a switch. I have good experiences with TP-Link, for example the TL-SG105 or TL-SG108.
You can add an access point or router later.
AElli  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 5:40:50 PM(UTC)
AElli

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
As a general rule of thumb. As your PC's have static IP addresses and your only looking to network the PCs, no internet connection etc. you can use a simple 1gb switch.

If you needed dhcp or any other form of "smart" routing, port forwarding etc you would need to use a router to handle that, as it's beyond what a simple switch can do.

Im using netgear 5 and 8 port switches with good results, they seem to work for me. 2 source NDI PCs, one 2 channel NDI recorder, and a couple side / or backstage monitor.

A.
Psing  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 6:18:20 PM(UTC)
Psing

Man

Thank you guys!

I will use a gigabit switch to keep it simple, and Plug-and-play. No management needed.
RoboST  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 27, 2016 9:54:40 AM(UTC)
RoboST

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
our switches are simple inexpensive netgear units, 4-5 years old
NiBTour  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2016 11:59:33 AM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
AElli wrote:
As a general rule of thumb. As your PC's have static IP addresses and your only looking to network the PCs, no internet connection etc. you can use a simple 1gb switch.

If you needed dhcp or any other form of "smart" routing, port forwarding etc you would need to use a router to handle that, as it's beyond what a simple switch can do.

Im using netgear 5 and 8 port switches with good results, they seem to work for me. 2 source NDI PCs, one 2 channel NDI recorder, and a couple side / or backstage monitor.

A.

even then i wouldn't use a router since it adds too much overhead. unless you need to receive and send packets of data from outside your intranet i would always stick with a application switch such as a layer 3 or 4-7. with NDI using a cheap router for dhcp or VLANS or QoS will be much slower than a layer3 switch or 4-7. i only say this because ive tested it with fantastic results using PC7xxx's connecting multiple networks across multiple /20's just using the internal routing tables of a layered switch. using routers instead added TTL's and 100ms lat. Just throwing other options out there if your not routing packets across other nodes outside a physical gateway.

plus i would be happy to test anything since i'm lucky enough to be sitting over hundred different servers and core switches while i get ready to sell them :)

-King
mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2016 5:47:36 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
AElli wrote:

Static IP's are a pain.

Yes, your devices should all be connected to a Gigabit switch. Simple, unmanaged switches are cheap. I paid $250 for a 24 port Netgear switch some years ago.

You can uplink the switch to a router, using the router's DHCP server as the way you manage IPs.

You definitely don't want the NDI traffic flowing across the router. That's usually unnecessary.

On my network all the production devices are set to DHCP, but the router has a static mapping table. The router looks up the devices MAC address and always gives it the same IP address. This way the IP addresses are centrally managed. It's especially useful if you have headless devices.
AElli  
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2016 4:12:00 AM(UTC)
AElli

Setting static IPS in a network in my opinion is a must.

OK if you have a visiting laptop or two etc. Have a dhcp range.

But any fixed device on an IP network should have a fixed IP.
I've spent most of my working life around networks of one sort or another and I don't know anyone that builds there infrastructure on dhcp. In a consumers home network it's great you plug it in and it works.. for the layman it's great. But when building integrate systems no way.

In my productions I have multiple networks running over multiple subnets, 1 for NDI, 1 for comms, 1 for remote management, 1 for the outgoing video feeds for streaming, 1 for general internet use. and I dont trust any of it to dhcp, except the general use network.
It makes any testing / trouble shooting easier. It's easier for routing / port forwarding etc. Dhcp has it use, but not here..

A.

PS
This is a forum where people answer others problems with ideas that are intended to help them. Give ideas that they have maybe not thought about etc. people have opinions and on a forum there neither right or wrong. I do believe however it is important to be able to voice opinions, and to be able to freely make an observation on any site, be it here or any other site. I think you will agree it's healthy to scrutinise sites and posts, but only to make them better. By all means post your own ideas and solutions but I see no relevance in the above two posts quoting what I had posted before ? In my mind it belittles tth original, it adds argument with encourages trolling etc, It adds a tone of insult. Again discussion is good and free speech is good, but with relation to the message you want to put over.
AElli  
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2016 5:46:43 AM(UTC)
AElli

Bloody PREWDICTIVE TEXD. :-)

A.