logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
h2video.nl  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2016 9:46:14 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
i am planning to upgrade to vmix 17 but simply did not have the time yet. so i use the trusted and well incorporated vmix 16 for productions.

core of my production is desktop capture to capture powerpoints of my clients at presentations. so i frequently have to install desktop capture on a client system, usually a laptop... ( windows vista, 7, 8, 10... apple...)

with vmix 16 this is easy. i used to download it from the vmix site, but this download is now replaced with vmix desktop capture 17, which is not backward compatible. I have a backup on an usb stick, but it would be handy to have a legacy page with latest vmix 16 download and with latest vmix 16 desktop capture programms for win and apple.

i will have to test vmix17 and the desktop capture 17 for use with client systems and in real time production. i sometimes only have about 5 minutes to install the capture program, make a wifi connection, connect the laptop and capture the window, make a multiview overly according the screen resolution (4:3 or 16:9) etc. and hope the client laptop will enable capturing....

with vmix 16 i can do this, with vmix 17 i have to test and figure this out all over... I have the impression the desktop capture is somewhat more complicated...

thats why legacy support might serve a purpose... it simply reliable.

greetings stefan

ps i run about 7 or 8 capturing systems, on laptops ( one cam one desktop capture ) on small systems with up to 3 cam and one or two desktop captures, and larger livestream production systems with 3+ cams... so migration is tested first on one test system, then all systems go and migrate to vmix 17. I guess with maturity of vmix legacy support will grow.... just like windows... ;-) same with drivers for capture cards, graphics cards and other periferals....
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2016 10:02:20 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Hi Stefan,

Scroll down towards the middle of the download page for the vMix 16 desktop capture:

http://www.vmix.com/software/download.aspx

I will say however that desktop capture in vMix 17 is much simpler to setup. Most settings that needed to be manually configured in 16
are now automatic, and the quality and frame rate of the desktop capture is much higher as well, so give it a try.

Only downside at the moment is it doesn't work on systems older than around 2009, but support for that should hopefully be added soon.

Regards,

Martin
vMIx
h2video.nl  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 1, 2016 8:32:40 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
hi Martin,

thanks, I just did not scroll down far enough.

I will give vmix 17 a try, looking foreward. just as a general point I think legacy support will be increasingly important with a growing user base. but you have covered it! TIP: put a shortlink to the vmix 16 part on the top.

greetings
Stefan