logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jhebbel  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2016 8:50:42 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
So I have not had such hard locks since my Windows XP days. When trying to capture a full screen graphics intensive PC game, my PC completely freezes. No exception, no BSOD, absolutely nothing. Will not respond to any input at all. Have had to hard shutdown and reboot each time. Im running Windows 10x64 latest build latest GPU drivers. Any ideas?

Worth noting that any capture other than fullscreen games works perfect. Even "windowless" options in games that support it work perfect.
kane  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2016 11:12:54 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
What NDI screen capture software are you using? I'm assuming it's the vMix Desktop Capture tool.

Other ones you can try.

- NDI Scan Converter (part of NDI Tools).
- XSplit v2.8

Kane Peterson
NewTek
sinc747  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2016 3:30:26 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Remember if you update to the latest vMix (currently .105) you may need to update your vMix Desktop Capture utility to the latest version also. They are a matched set (even though they are DOT numbered differently).

- Tom
admin  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2016 11:35:52 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4137 time(s) in 1488 post(s)
Hi,

vMix Desktop Capture by default uses a new screen capture method available in Direct3D in Windows 8 and Windows 10 that allows
capturing games at full frame rate. If you are seeing freezing it could indicate a driver issue or overloading of the graphics card.
The usual checks of latest drivers, suitable power supply etc would be my suggestion and if all else fails you can go into the vMix Desktop Capture
settings and disable hardware acceleration. Unfortunately this means it won't work with some games, but it will revert to the same capture method as NDI Scan Converter.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
stigaard on 7/22/2016(UTC), mjgraves on 7/22/2016(UTC)
jhebbel  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:36:23 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
So the issue seems to be coupled with using Steam's in home streaming along side NDI. My computer and stream server put out a lot of noise so I had them in another room and was streaming to my TV the game by means of a mini fanless (silent) Windows PC using Steams in home streaming. Everything i have is gigabit network and bandwidth was not an issue, it just seems that NDI does not like to share with Steam. I got rid of steam and now just run a long HDMI cable between rooms and everything worked great.

Now I just need to upgrade my stream servers GPU. My server is a re-purposed CGI render farm which has something like 48 physical cores so I figured it would be a perfect match for streaming, however since vMix leverages mostly GPU and not CPU it seems to be a waste as the server only has a gtx 210 in it because it only ever needed a monitor for administrative use... So now im on the hunt for a decent GPU. Probably just buy a local used one, CL seems to have loads.