logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lennart  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2016 10:21:09 AM(UTC)
Lennart

Groups: Registered
Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any tips on troubleshooting capture cards? I feel like I'm getting more and more instances where I fail to get a signal.

Here's what I do to try and fix it:

- reboot the maching
- check the connections
- check the source
- check to see if there's a signal in the software from the manufacturer
- try a different source

Right now I'm using 5 capture cards of which I can't get 3 of them to work.

Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k (works)
Blackmagic Intensity Pro (works)
Blackmagic Intensity Pro (doesn't work)
Avermedia Game Live Gamer HD (doesn't work)
Avermedia Game Live Gamer HD (doesn't work)

I'm using the most recent HD version of vMix.

Other specs:
Intel i7-4790k (4x4 GHz)
Corsair H55 watercooling
ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB
FSP 600W PSU
NZXT H230 Silent Midtower
G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4 GB (2133 MHz)
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard

Thanks! :)
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2016 10:29:10 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
What happens if you pull out the Intensity Pro 4K and go with only the other 4 cards?

Can 2 AverMedia Live Gamer HD cards be used in the same system? Two (2) AverMedia Game Broadcasters HD cannot be (according to AverMedia support).

If you pull out the 2 AverMedia cards, do all 3 Black Magic cards get signals?

How long are your camera cables? (HDMI?)
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
Lennart on 7/9/2016(UTC)
Lennart  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2016 2:44:15 PM(UTC)
Lennart

Man
Denmark

Oh I forgot to mention, it's not a new setup. Everything has worked, all at the same time. I started getting problems with signals not showing, which I at first could fix by rebooting.

Another thing I've since noticed is that the Intensity Pro which I thought didn't work, will work if I send it a 1080i50 signal.

I have 3 different signal types. 2 x 1080i50 from two Sony HDV-Z1 cameras (component converted to HDMI). 2 x 720p59,94 from a GoPro Hero+ 4 and a Nikon D800 as well as 1080p59,94 from our HDMI splitter which is feed from a HDMI switch that has 5 inputs (Gaming PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Wii U and our Nintendo 3DS capture box (component upscaled to 1080p59,94).

My plan now is to label the cards and test them individually to see which ones works.

Edit: so I've now tested the cards individually. I didn't test the Intensity Pro 4k card as that one has worked flawlessly

Blackmagic Intensity Pro #1
1080i50: WORKS
720p59.94: WORKS

Blackmagic Intensity Pro #2
1080i50: NO SIGNAL (also tested in Wirecast 7, BMD Media Express, Xsplit, OBS)
720p59.94: NO SIGNAL (also tested in Wirecast 7, BMD Media Express, Xsplit, OBS)
Weird as this card worked with 1080i50 yesterday

Blackmagic Intensity Pro #3 (old card, capacitor has fallen off)
1080i50: NO SIGNAL (also tested in Wirecast 7, BMD Media Express, Xsplit, OBS)
720p59.94: WORKS (WTF)

Avermedia #1
1080i50: NO SIGNAL (also tested in reccentral, OBS, Wirecast 7, Xsplit)

Avermedia #2
1080i50: NO SIGNAL (also tested in reccentral)

I don't really understand why a card will work with one signal and not with the other. Do I really need to replace them to get them to work with all signals again?
Thremir  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2016 5:24:26 PM(UTC)
Thremir

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 29 post(s)
This many capture cards on a Z97/4790K is in general a bad idea. This is due to the "Max # of PCI Express Lanes: 16" on the 4790K

I had an MSI Z97 Gaming 7 and a 4770K which I tried to populate with 2 Intensity Pros, 1 Intensity Pro 4K, 1 AverMedia LGP and 2 Decklink Duos.

Even with many of the cards removed, the PCI lanes capped and caused high rendertimes and CPU, and FPS drops.'

My suggestion is to either get a better chipset (Like X99) with a CPU that can handle more PCI lanes, or reducing the number of capture cards by buying a card like the Decklink Quad 2

What kind of live shows do you do with this equipment? I work with games as well (mostly e-sports), based in South Norway :)

Good luck on your setup,

Håvard
Lennart  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2016 5:59:31 PM(UTC)
Lennart

Man
Denmark

That could explain some weird render time spikes, but that doesn't explain the problems with the cards being in there alone?
I could try and take out the GPU and purely use the on board graphics. But should that make a difference?

I have been thinking about using a capture card with multiple inputs in one. The problem with the Blackmagic one is that literally none of my inputs use SDI so that would be a big expense for converters. I have in stead been looking a little at the Yuan cards, but I haven't been able to find a place that sells them in Denmark or nearby.

We use it for lots of stuff. Anything from "daily news" greenscreen videos, simple gameplay streams to bigger and more ambitious streams. Our main page is Pixel.tv. Where do you do stuff? We don't do as much e-sports as I'd like but I've done some production and commentating at Copenhagen Games.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2016 9:49:49 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

You have four (4) of five cards working, perhaps that is the best that your system can handle.

If you are looking for HDMI quad capture, take a look at the Magewell Pro Capture Quad HDMI.

http://http://www.magewell.com/pro-capture-quad-hdmi

There's a reseller in Norway

http://www.interplay-sports.com/

Or check out Zen Video in the U.K.

http://www.zenvideo.co.uk

Tom Sinclair at http://easternshorebroadcasting.com might even ship one to you from the USA.

Lennart  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 12:25:31 PM(UTC)
Lennart

Man
Denmark

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
You have four (4) of five cards working, perhaps that is the best that your system can handle.

I had all 5 cards working. What's bothering me is how they just randomly die. Is there anything I can do or will I have to RMA the cards?

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
If you are looking for HDMI quad capture, take a look at the Magewell Pro Capture Quad HDMI.

I have been looking at that card, but I'm afraid it will just die as well. It seems better to replace one card with 1 input rather than with 4 because of the cost.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:19:06 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

So you don't waste your time, you should test any card you feel is defective in another system before sending it back. If you can get the card(s) to fail in another system, then customer support will be more inclined to think the card is defective not a configuration problem on your end.

On the other hand if the cards only fail randomly in the system you have been using, then the problem could be centered on what Thremir referred to:

Quote:
This many capture cards on a Z97/4790K is in general a bad idea. This is due to the "Max # of PCI Express Lanes: 16" on the 4790K

You may want to check your power supply. Do you have a spare one that is of higher wattage? I've seen computers do strange things when the power supply wasn't working properly such as cards/peripherals working erratically (or not working at all).
Lennart  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 9:05:47 AM(UTC)
Lennart

Man
Denmark

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
So you don't waste your time, you should test any card you feel is defective in another system before sending it back. If you can get the card(s) to fail in another system, then customer support will be more inclined to think the card is defective not a configuration problem on your end.

I'll absolutely do that. :)

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
On the other hand if the cards only fail randomly in the system you have been using, then the problem could be centered on what Thremir referred to:

Quote:

But if the GPU uses x8 then the total should be 16? All cards except the 4k card are x1, so x1+x1+x1+x1+x4+x8=x16?

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:

You may want to check your power supply. Do you have a spare one that is of higher wattage? I've seen computers do strange things when the power supply wasn't working properly such as cards/peripherals working erratically (or not working at all).

I have a 750W in a different machine. If I can't get it to work otherwise I'll have to try it out.
Lennart  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2016 9:41:36 AM(UTC)
Lennart

Man
Denmark

In regards to getting a X99 mobo, would this be a good option? And would it work with our Intel i7-4790k? I know that it requires new memory.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20WS/

Thanks! :)
Mathijs  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:26:09 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
The mainboard you have now will operate at 8x4x4 when you populate the slots that connect directly to the processor. The x1 slots connect to the chipset and there should be enough DMI bandwidth to drive them all at the same time. There is nothing in the manual about limitations and when you look at the block-diagram of the chipset there are no other causes for problems.

Your i7-4790K is a socket 1150 chip and will not fit into a X99 mainboard, as that is a socket 2011-v3 mainboard, which supports more pci express lanes directly to the processor and is a totally different socket.

So I understand you feel you are stuck here. Did you already try to install desktop video 10.6.5 and add the cards one by one? Maybe some of them did not update their firmware, and is that causing the problem.

In my opinion when you buy new hardware, the best option is to get a good X99 mainboard, with a socket 2011-v3 cpu with as much cores you can afford that runs turbo speed around 3GHz.
Then get yourself a quad or eight input card that you install into a slot that connects directly to the processor. So you have a graphics card running at x16 and the capture card at x8. No worries about the capture card dying, I have decklink cards here that are 10 years old that still work. (not on current os though)
A nice cpu cooler, nvidia GTX1070, 16GB minimum memory, a M.2 NVME drive to put the system on and a 2TB SSD for recording would finish it if you already have the case and PSU.