logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
whimsmedia  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:08:16 PM(UTC)
whimsmedia

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Since we started using the tally lights occasionally we have the following problem:

Tally lights stop working.
When we try switching sources we get an error saying "The port 'COM3' does not exist." The box at the bottom contains the word "Effect"

Please advise!
admin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:41:48 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

Do the LEDs on the tally lights switch off when that error occurs?
From what I can tell it sounds like the system thinks the tally lights were unplugged, can you confirm you have a solid connection to the USB port
on the computer and that it isn't running through a USB hub or anything like that?

Thanks,

Martin
vMix
whimsmedia  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:54:55 PM(UTC)
whimsmedia

Hi,

We've done some further testing. The tally lights are connected with the cable supplied in the box directly to a USB 2.0 port on the computer.

It seems like the problem is caused by a bad connection between the USB cable and the tally light controller. The cable supplied with the controller doesn't fit very well in the connector. As a result, every light touch of the controller causes a disconnect.

When disconnected the tally lights go out and despite the connection being re-made almost instantly they don't come back on. Also, after this happens only the Cut effect still works without producing an error like the one mentioned previously.

We also tested the following two options: plugging in the controller first and then starting vMix / starting vMix and the plugging in the controller.
In both scenarios the tally lights work. In both scenarios the tally lights stop working on disconnect and the errors start showing when trying to trigger an effect. In both scenarios when reconnecting the controller errors continue to show and the tally lights never come back on again until vMix is restarted.

In fact, once the controller is disconnected there is no way to stop those errors from appearing until vMix is restarted completely. Removing and re-adding the sources does not solve the problem either.

--

We will try to replace the USB cable and perhaps tape the cable and the controller to a flat surface in a protected position.

However, it would help if the next version of vMix would:
- not throw errors continuously when it loses the tally lights
- reconnect to the controller after a disconnect without a program restart

That's about it. Tell me if you need any other details. If you think a live test would help I'm sure we can arrange a Remote Desktop + Skype conference or something similar.

Thank you,

Chris
RVtv Video  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2012 5:26:15 AM(UTC)
RVtv Video

Man

Hi,

Its also possible that an other usb device take the used port and so the tally cant find it. Only the need of restart vmix completly i would say is not good when your live.

Gr Richie
admin  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2012 5:36:53 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the detailed information.
I am going to add some extra checking in the next version in case the Tally Lights are unplugged.

I will test the USB cables I have in stock to see if the loose cable issue occurs with all of them.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
whimsmedia  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2012 11:47:33 AM(UTC)
whimsmedia

Hi,

@Gr Richie
No other USB devices hooked up to that system using COM3. We don't use any USB capture devices so it's only mouse, keyboard and tally going into USB. Thanks for the idea though. I'll test some USB capture dongles we have to see if any of them would potentially interfere with the tally lights. I'll post any interesting findings. Perhaps it will be helpful to other vMixers.

@Martin

We just bent the USB cable back and taped it to the controller. No more problems today despite the fact that the controller was moved around a couple of times.

I did try a couple more USB cables and found it's the connector hole on the controller that allows the USB Type B connector to move just slightly making an imperfect connection.

As I said it's easily fixed with a bit of sticky tape but your update of the software is most welcome.

Thanks,

Chris