logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MattiaCC  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:35:58 PM(UTC)
MattiaCC

Groups: Registered

Hello, I'm having a strange problem with NDI Desktop Capture.

First of all my configuration, main computer running vMix:

- CPU Intel 1150 i5-4460
- Svga SAPPHIRE R9 270X 2GB NDA 11.10. GDDR5,HDMI,2xDVI,DP Dual-X
- DDR3 PC1600 8GB
- SSD Hard drive Samsung 850 EVO
- BlackMagic DeckLink Mini Recorder

- S.O. Windows 8.1
- vMix HD 17.0.0.103 x64

Power point laptop:

- CPU Intel i3-3110M (capable of SSSE3 instruction)
- Integrated HD4000
- DDR3 PC1600 6GB
- SSD Hard drive Samsung 840 EVO

- S.O. Windows 8.1
- vMix Desktop Capture 17.0.0.73
- DirectX11

Here come the problem, during screen capture ( set to receive the Display 2 of the laptop ) everythink works fine with some video test but with powerpoint presentation sometimes the image in vMix freeze on the previous slide and if I move the pointer in the extended display of the laptop it immediatly come up.
Seems like the Desktop Capture tool don't recognize that the slide is change and stuck in the old one, so if for example I skip to a third slide, the second one show out for a while than change to the tird.

Trying to resolve the problem I noticed that the FPS on the Desktop Capture go to 0 during fix image if I use Hardware Acceleration (DXGI).

Instead when Hardware Acceleration is disabled (GDI) the FPS still above 20 also during static image and lift up to 30 during transition.

This setting probably resolve the issue but now I need to hard test this solution to be shure; someone has same issue or more experience with that? The HD4000 is capable for Hardware Acceleration? Or the error is in DirectX11 or windows setting/driver??

Last question: to esclude every switch/router fault I try to plug directly the two computer whith direct (no cross) ethernet cable whithout ip assigned and works fine; is this a good configuration when no more than two computer is needed or is always better to use a good gigabit switch??

Thank you for the attention.
Mattia
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 3:18:00 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Many screen capture tools do not deal with content presented using hardware acceleration. The screen-scraping process is a software function that intercepts the content at a point in the path where hardware accelerated stuff simply isn't visualized yet.

This is why many screen sharing tools (Hangouts for example) have hard time with PowerPoint. PowerPoint for Windows leverages hardware acceleration. If you put it into presentation mode with the presentation as a window you will find that you cannot screen share the window.

However, if you choose to share the entire screen you CAN see the PowerPoint show. This is because there are different ways to access a Window vs the entire screen.

I've found that the most reliable approach is to capture the output of the laptop using a capture card. Think of that as intercepting the stream at the point of display, which means that you can reliably capture content that uses hardware acceleration.
MattiaCC  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 6:51:34 PM(UTC)
MattiaCC

Many thanks for the reply, meanwhile I have tried for many hour with no Hardware Acceleration capturing the entire Display 2 and works without problem using Power Point, the CPU usage still up around 25% also with static slide but at the moment of a slide change the image refresh instantly.

So, in conclusion, the issue came out for the combination of how screen capture, hardware acceleration and power point interact and not for the low strength of the integrated video card.

Sorry for the really bad english and thank you again.

P.S. If I find some free time I'll try with a more powerfull laptop with dedicated video card to check if the problem is the same.