logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgoodyer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2016 3:21:24 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi

When using NDI as an input, and the source device stops sending an NDI signal, VMIX does not seem to always automatically recover when the NDI signal returns, and the device has to be re-selected form the drop down menu.

This is particularly annoying when using a wireless NDI source which are prone to the odd dropout, or when we have to reset or power cycle any other NDI source.

I have also notice this issue on the new Desktop Capture software which is also NDI based. Had to reboot 'content directors' PC mid broadcast, and when rebooted had to re-select the NDI source inputs on VMIX.

All The Best

Keith
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2016 9:06:10 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
When you choose wireless links you take a considerable risk. They are inherently more variable than wired connections. There are specific technologies for passing video over wireless links, NDI is not specifically engineered for that application.

NDI promises video over IP using gigabit transport. It does not promise reliable video over a wireless link.
kgoodyer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2016 9:24:45 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Fully aware of this, however the issue was actually not just about wireless, it was about NDI's ability to recover. I had a Caspar GC box fail on me, and when I restarted it, none of the NDI receiver on the network could see it. I had to re-select it from the drop down on both NDI monitor and VMIX. It doesn't fail 100% of the time, and indeed stress testing it, it only fails approximately 10% of the time.

I now realise this is an inherent issue with NDI, and has absolutely nothing to do with VMIX.

Keith
kane  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2016 10:45:41 AM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
I'd try some testing to see if NDI Monitor is also dropping the connections.

It has been my experience when NDI is having issues, it more often than not has to do with the network. A common issue, bad CAT5e network cables! They will run fine for just about any other use, but when you run NDI over them a bad network cable can drop to many packets or be switching between 100Mb and 1Gb speeds. Try forcing your network interfaces to 1Gb speed only and see if that makes any difference.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
thanks 1 user thanked kane for this useful post.
sinc747 on 7/6/2016(UTC)
kgoodyer  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2016 6:05:42 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Brand new dual fed fibre ring (dedicated for NDI) using 10Gbps SPF and 1Gbit ports on Cisco Switches. Capspar CG servers all Supermicro Industrial Boards with Dual Intel Gbit Cards - don't think its a network thing. However it may be a Caspar Issue, just noticed their windows hadn't been updated since 2013, so doing a big overnight patch on them.

For Sale: About 300 miles of SDI cable, because NDI is the dogs! I don't care what anybody says, of all the near-real-time SDI over IP transports I have used this is the clear winner - well done NewTek, i knew I did the right thing when I bought my Video Toaster 16 odd years ago (still have it, still works).

Keith
Mathijs  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 10:54:41 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
If you make a list of what SDI cabling you have and what you want for it, I might be interested.
I can input 8 SDI sources easy into my systems, even more when I add more cards without any resource problems.
If I input NDI, it stops at 4-5 inputs because cpu usage will get too high.
So I see NDI as a nice way to get things done between systems in the same building, but not as a replacement for SDI inputs.
AElli  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 1:46:51 PM(UTC)
AElli

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Mathijs wrote:
If you make a list of what SDI cabling you have and what you want for it, I might be interested.
I can input 8 SDI sources easy into my systems, even more when I add more cards without any resource problems.
If I input NDI, it stops at 4-5 inputs because cpu usage will get too high.
So I see NDI as a nice way to get things done between systems in the same building, but not as a replacement for SDI inputs.

That's interesting as I've noticed the same. Each SDI input pushes my resource meter up by aprox 5-6% where as, each NDI input or output raises 8-10%. With 4sdi feeds I'm usually abt 30%. add an NDI desktop capture and an NDI monitor output and I'm around 55%. So 2/1 2 SDI's feeds = 1 NDI feed.

Maybe updating to the newer release of NDI drivers might help (.99) but I've an assignment coming up early this week, so have held off until that's done.
A.