logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mashynewie2  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2016 8:59:24 PM(UTC)
mashynewie2

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
All videos are still being uploaded, but this is an 8-camera live stream using a decklink quad 2.

There were over 140 "inputs" including many videos, lower thirds etc.

There were 4 monitors connected.
- 1x main vmix screen (desktop)
- 1x mirrored vmix screen (mirror from first screen for directors assistant so she could do the countdowns).
- One multiview screen for the director.
- One program output for the venue projectors and greenroom tv, I used the outputs from my hyperdeck so split a single HDMI ouput from the graphics card to provide 2 SDI outputs, we actually paid to upgrade vmix the night before so we could get 2 outputs.

Audio was coming in and out of the PC using a Behringer X32 connected to the PC via USB.
1 camera was wireless (Teradek Bolt).

The venue hired production headsets so the production desk could talk to all cameras and also the green room.

WATCH HERE: http://huntertv.com.au/2016/05/stars-of-newcastle-2016/

NOTE: VIDEOS ARE STILL BEING UPLOADED SO ALL VIDS WILL BE UPLOADED BY THE END OF THE WEEK.

PS. Martin, I had a few crashes during this event, are there log files I can send to you?

Intel Skylake 6700 CPU
16gb RAM.
NVIDA Gforce GTX 980ti.
2 x 512mbit M.2 SSD's in RAID
2 x 4tb 7200rpm Seagate Black Drives in raid for video storage.
1 x Telstra 4G USB Dongle (1800MHz only) will upgrade to the dual-band (700MHz/1800MHz) one soon.
1 x Vodafone 4g USB Dongle
1 x WIFI dongle which connected to the venue's WIFI
We used Speedify for bonding of the connections.
I don't have the cameras but they were just semi-professional sony's with HDMI out
We used very cheap $50AUD HDMI to SDI converters we got from eBay.
Blackmagic Quad 2 (up to 8 cameras) in
The 2 outputs came out of the 980ti
Streaming to uStream.tv Live at 2mbits 1080p
JimJacobs  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2016 10:28:22 PM(UTC)
JimJacobs

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
This is very similar to my set up. I'm curious as to what happened at the time of your crashes?
mashynewie2  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2016 10:43:22 PM(UTC)
mashynewie2

I was very happy with VMIX, but here is a list of issues;

(1) I was recording the show using AVI and when I started the live stream it kept crashing randomly. But then when I switched to MP4 everything seemed to be okay after that.

(2) The live stream button kept flashing yellow so I assumed that meant the stream was down??? It would be great if the stream drops out it could re-connect instead of me having to turn the stream off and back on again.

(3) Also, the recorded MP4 file was MAJORLY out of sync (vision/audio) and the sync was varying throughout the production. So to actually post it up on YouTube I had to cut each dance up into pieces in adobe premiere and stitch it back together in sync. Next time I will record to my hyperdeck instead. I am not 100% sure if it was like this on the fullscreen outputs because I was so busy with the production.

(4) Is there an auto-save feature? Because I made SO MANY changes and when VMIX crashed I lost all the changes and had to re-do heaps of stuff.

(5) I tried buying the "Best of the best" GPU etc but the render time kept jumping to over 150ms. Maybe next time I won't use MP4 I will try a less compressed AVI as suggested.
thanks 1 user thanked mashynewie2 for this useful post.
stigaard on 7/5/2016(UTC)
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2016 10:52:32 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4161 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Hi,

Please go to Settings -> About and click Send Support Report and email us the license key so we can investigate further.
The yellow stream flashing, AVI recording issues and high render time all point towards overloading the CPU, there might be too much going on at once
so I would recommend loading everything up and checking Task Manager and trying to isolate what is consuming the most CPU.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
mashynewie2  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2016 11:00:02 PM(UTC)
mashynewie2

Thanks Martin I sent all of that info.

ONE THING TO NOTE: When I play the MP4 file in Windows Media player it seems to be perfectly in sync. But in Adobe premiere it is not in sync???

So only main concern I have left is the flashing yellow streaming button, the auto-save.

Re the render time I will use a more uncompressed format for video files next time.

admin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2016 12:00:07 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4161 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Some additional info on the streaming button below:

http://www.vmix.com/know...mes-show-orange-or-amber

If it starts flashing for a while and turning it off and on again immediately resolves it, it may be related to how the stream is buffered.
That is, when starting streaming vMix will allocate a small buffer to cope with variable network conditions, however if the upload speed
is just slightly lower than the streaming bitrate this buffer will eventually fill up until it is full. Restarting the stream will reset the buffer
and the process begins again. The fix for this is to lower the bitrate of the stream.

As for auto save the "Last" button up the top will always recall the last known preset, saved every 30 seconds.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Siroki  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2016 4:34:00 AM(UTC)
Siroki

Man
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Orange button I think was probably because low upload speed. That what was in my case. If you go with 2mbits you need at least 3 mbit upload speed and recommended is 4 mbit, so double upload speed.

But I am thinking what is the point to go 1080 (full HD) with 2 mbits?
We are doing 720 with 2mbits and more profesional teams go with 4 or 6 mbits on 720

Youtube recommends 4mbit for 720 (minumum 1,5)

Quote:
1080p
Resolution: 1920x1080
Video Bitrate Range: 3,000 - 6,000 Kbps

Quote:
720p
Resolution: 1280x720
Video Bitrate Range: 1,500 - 4,000 Kbps

thanks 1 user thanked Siroki for this useful post.
stigaard on 7/5/2016(UTC)
Speegs  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2016 5:16:05 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
One of the best recording formats (at least under Windows 7). Is MPG and use .TS files. I find the CPU usage to be minimal and they are reasonably easy to work with in Adobe Premier as well (not sure about other video editors).

The files will be large, but just seems to work well for me and it's what is recommended in the Vmix help file too.
mashynewie2  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2016 7:21:13 AM(UTC)
mashynewie2

I just tested vmix using the same config as the live show and I realised it hit 100% CPU.

So i'll experiment with mpeg ts and also possibly just move the recording off vmix to my hyperdeck.

Also I worked out that speedify uses between 10 and 15% of my CPU.
Mathijs  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2016 2:11:17 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
It is a CPU with HT, so keep it under 50%. Also when having problems, look at the windows resource monitor instead, because vMix doesn't show external CPU load. Using FFMPEG is also not reflected within the vMix CPU monitor.
Which AVI codec were U using? MagicYUV codec runs light with good quality. I advise to always run an external backup recorder though.