logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pm  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 10:56:59 AM(UTC)
pm

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hello

During March and April 2016, we broadcasted live a total of five games of highest swiss floorball league with vMix. We wanted to test what would be possible with this software and how could the workflows for producing look like. We did the tests with the trial version of vMix 16.

Our setup

Cameras

We started with one camera, moved to four cameras, but went back to three cameras for the last production (one in the middle and one static camera behind each goal). Camera feeds were sent via network as RTSP h264 stream to a powerfull i7-6700HQ / GTX 970M notebook. Latency is about 200ms. We used RTSP, because in our sports arena the LAN coverage is really good. We have LAN connections all over the sports arena. So no need for SDI and additional cabeling.

Cameras used: Canon XA35 via HDMI out, 2 GoPro Hero 3 via HDMI out.

Titles

For titles, we used the integrated title modul of vMix. We did the first production with specific title shortcuts controlled by a second operator and the web interface. But for easier title handling, we programmed our own floorball specific title controller (through API) with scoreboard, lower thirds, sponsor logos, ...

Screenshot of own title controller:
UserPostedImage

Audio

Commentary was ingested as a vMix audio input via USB interface and routed to bus A. All other audio from vMix was routed to bus B. Both busses sent their audio to VoiceMeter Banana, which did the final mix and then sent it back to vMix. That way, we had a flexibel routing possibility for the switching operator (listening to commentary only, monitoring the final mix, talk to the headset of the commentators, ...).

For intercom we used Teamspeak, also integrated into VoiceMeeter Banana. So Banana was also responsible for intercom connections.

Replay

We also used the replay module for all three cameras. Replays were used during the game for situations like goals and fouls. For the breaks between the periods, we copied the best events to a playlist and played this list out as a highlight reel right after the beginning of the break. Was that cool! The final mix was also viewable on a beamer in the sports arena!

Controllers

To control vMix, we set up a lot of shortcuts associated with MIDI commands. All audio commands were controlled by a Korg nanoKontrol. For all the rest we set up TouchOSC and programmed our own interface for fireing the shortcuts. Was also cool!

Screenshot of TouchOSC interface:
UserPostedImage

Streaming/Recording

We did not use the streaming feature of vMix. We used an external box called Teradek Vidiu. But we enabled local recording in vMix (h264 NVENC profile) in case of problems with the internet uplink.

Problems

Almost none... :-)

There were some ideas for improving the replay modul. But most ideas are already placed in different feature requests.

http://forums.vmix.com/d....aspx?g=posts&t=5520

Sometimes we had issues starting the recording of the replay module. Worst case was to remove it as an input and re-add it, because recording was not working anymore. But this specific issue was not reproducable.

CPU usage for the RTSP streams depends from resolution and bitrate. For a good qualitiy stream, we lost about 8-12% CPU load for each camera on an i7-6700HQ processor. See this post: http://forums.vmix.com/d....aspx?g=posts&t=6172

During last weeks there were a lot of discussions about using IP cameras here in the forum. So I will place a feature request for RTSP GPU decoding. Could be usefull also for other users.

Videos

Time laps video taken during installing production setup and beeing on job:

Not all games are public available because of restrictions of the right holder. Some examples:
Highlight reel of game 5:

Full game 5 (3 cams): http://www.swiss-sport.t...rch-st-gallen?medium=494
Full game 3 (4 cams): http://www.swiss-sport.t...rch-st-gallen?medium=467
Full game 2 (1 cam): http://www.swiss-sport.t...rch-st-gallen?medium=467

Regards,
Patrick

thanks 4 users thanked pm for this useful post.
sinc747 on 6/17/2016(UTC), corporatejames on 6/17/2016(UTC), Jedda on 6/25/2016(UTC), FoxICT on 6/29/2016(UTC)
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 11:55:36 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ pm

Well done Patrick! Thanks for sharing.
I am curious to know why you dropped the fourth camera?
I noticed there were some screen freezes during the intros of the 4 camera game, which would be very frustrating to watch for viewers, was that an issue you were able to resolve or at least figure out the cause?
I will be honest and say that I am not a big fan of the wide angle behind the net of the GoPro's, don't get me wrong, I think they are a great resource and have their place as a specialty supplementary cam, but not as a primary action or replay cam unless you are much closer to the action like a net cam or helmet cam, I would much rather sacrifice a GoPro for a second manned camera if I had the choice, just my thoughts. Actually, in any sport, ultra wide angle in general is very difficult to follow the play, you have to find that sweet spot between close-up and wide that allows you to see the ball and follow the action.
All in all, it's great to see how you have used vMix in your broadcast and how well the technology worked for you.
Keep up the good work.

Ice
pm  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 5:06:25 PM(UTC)
pm

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
@Ice

Yes, I had to drop the fourth camera because of the annoying freezes. I guess that the CPU was overloaded. But hadn't enough time to verify exactly.

With four RTSP streams (each 8-12% load = ~40%) and replay enabled (+30% load) I had a base CPU load of 70%. With some overhead (fullscreen, playing replay events, ...) I was often between 80 to 83% CPU load. And I think that's to high for a stable system. That's why I hope GPU decoding for RTSP streams is possible. Render time was always ok between 5 to 15ms.

Other cause could be a to slow SSD disk for the replay recording.

I fully agree with the GoPro, I also don't like the wide angle. At the moment we do some tests with other cameras. Hopefully we will find something better. Which camera model would you recommend for behind the net?

One benefit has the wide angle from behind the net: if you only have a three camera setup, during behind the net replay, the viewer can follow the whole offense play. If you have more cameras for replay, then the angle from behind the net camera could be smaller.

pm
Siroki  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 6:18:18 PM(UTC)
Siroki

Man
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Nice work
I like your title controller :))
corporatejames  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 7:46:24 PM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Great job Patrick