logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bardos59  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 8:52:13 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I had a few problems from the time i was using vMix, and I am wondering if there is a way to save files if vMix crashes during a recoding....I lost over 2 hours of video a few weeks ago, and I searched the net for a recovery program to save the file....I found something that saved a small amount of the file, and it took me almost 3 hours to save just over 40 minutes.....Is there a way to incoperate an autosave function into vMix so as to prevent this.....I know there is a feature that can break the files every which time it is set to do so, but when I am working 5 -6 hours straight, then to have a power failure and lose everything, that can be devastating.....

Mathijs  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 10:04:35 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
The data should all be there, so try more. Was this caused by a power outage? If so start with a disk recovery tool, find the file and copy it to another disk from there.

I don't understand what you ask for, because what you want is already in vmix like you describe. Set the feature to make a new file every 10 minutes and you have what you want.
Or record in a file format that is more forgiving when this kind of thing happens.
Check THIS!

Also, a cheap backup recorder like a BMD video assist is also a recommendation. You can never have too much recordings. Telling your client the footage is gone indeed is very devastating.
Bardos59  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 10:21:55 AM(UTC)

I just do not know what went wrong...one moment all was going great, next, I saw a freeze frame on the output monitor...looked like the laptop froze, I did a restart. I used to use Mpeg, but after updating to windows 8, I had issues, so I now use .avi....will have to use another format
Mathijs  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 2:41:48 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Or keep using avi and let it make a new file every 10 minutes.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 3:12:15 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
@Bardos59

If the AVI files are too large for your liking, try MPEG-2 Transport Stream as a record option.

But as Mathijs recommends let it make a new file every 10 minutes.
Bardos59  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 4:34:26 PM(UTC)

It is ok, but I hate to have to deal with so many short clips, that was one of the reasons I was so slow in moving to HD recorders, as they were formatted in Fat32, giving me a zillion files to work with for editing, especially when I have long projects....and sometimes, I have day long seminars to record...imagine doing that for 5 days, from 8: a.m to 4 or 5 p.m. I get headaches seeing so many clips....but, I have a recorder that breaks the files every 2 or 3 hours...now that is much nicer, since it can be formatted in different systems...I feel it is about time manufacturers stop making things to use Fat32....but that is just my thoughts
Mathijs  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 6:16:44 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

What's the problem with many short clips? If I import them to premiere, It will automatically put them in the right order behind each other. Click, shift-click, right mouse, click import, click after each other option in dialog, done.
Only thing I sometimes experience, is little clicks/pops in the audio.
Bardos59  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 7:06:10 AM(UTC)

I know that, I used to use 'Lets Edit', the fore-runner to Edius, and that, when downloading video, in those days it was from tapes, it broke the video into 2 gig clips...man after dumping 2 or 3 full tapes, ..many small clips, so I dealt with that a long time ago....I also use P2 cards, and they record similar...it is not that...if I have an option, I would prefer to deal with just 1 or 2 clips for long edits.
AElli  
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2016 4:50:55 AM(UTC)
AElli

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Get yourself an external recorder, recording on a backup device gives you something to fall back on.

Also..
With Vmix 17s new networking cabapitities, run Newteks ISOcorder on another PC and record via NDI.

I have always recorded externally, and from within Vmix and recently by trialing isocorder, which seems to work well.

As often is, having no saved content = no payment :-(

A.
Bardos59  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2016 7:36:13 AM(UTC)

So true, lucky for me, this was a free thing...I was recording my church service
Mathijs  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2016 5:22:48 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

With NDI, you can also record program out on the multicorder, allowing you to save a uncut recording and as spare a every 5 minutes a new file recording.
But my point still stands about the need of a backup recorder.