logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cpilcher  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 10:28:16 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
I use multiple displays for multiple operators on my vMix PC. I thought I had everything working well but I can't get over this little hurdle. So stay with me as I explain this in detail.

I decided to go with an X-Keys 32 button controller based on some of the threads I read on the forum. Basically it maps keyboard keys that can drive shortcuts within vMix. My keyboard doesn't have a numpad, so I mapped all the numpad keys to the XKeys controller for Program, Preview, Fade & Cut. There is no way for my other operators to "accidentally" switch my video unless they are using the XKeys unit. Works great!

The next problem arose when I started using my second monitor for Instamt Replay and Audio control. instant Replay operator uses a Shuttle Pro v2 with custom shortcuts. The 3rd operator (usually me) uses the keyboard and mouse along with a Korg Nano controller to monitor audio and drive any overlays and graphics for my production like time clock and lower thirds. With my mouse focus on the second monitor (and sometimes digging through other windows and programs temporarily, XKeys would lose the ability to control the shortcuts within vMix. For example if I opened notepad and pressed a button on the XKeys controller it would enter the corresponding Numpad number that was programmed to that key (so if numpad #4 switched to camera 4 in vMix, with notepad open it would just enter the number 4 into notepad instead.

Again I found the solution on the forums with Auto Hotkeys. With a simple script you can relay any button press (I specify my numpad buttons) to a certain program. So no matter what program or window has my focus, when you press an XKeys button it directs that command to vMix. It works great.

But here is my problem... If I open a window within vMix, for example right clicking a List input to select a certain file from my list, while that window is open I cannot control the switcher functions. When I export my Instant Replay footage to a file, while the notification is open I also can't control the switcher.

If I program the same shortcuts to my Shuttle Pro v2 it does not suffer from this problem. I'm not sure if there is another workaround to allow this to work with the equipment I have or if I need to purchase a different style controller. Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 12:12:18 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Cpilcher

That is exactly what I feared with a product like X-Keys (no different than using the Keyboard), the vMix main user interface needs to be the active window for it to work. Although "Auto Hotkeys" alleviates some of that limitation, it's not a fail safe solution and requires additional 'programming' to set it up.
This is the great advantage of using a MIDI controller or the web interface with a tablet or smartphone, they will work regardless of what you are doing with your keyboard and mouse, again, not always a perfect solution as MIDI buttons are often dual stage (ON/OFF) and touch screens don't give the same 'tactile' feeling, but certainly a better option (or at least an emergency back-up) for those situations when the X-Keys is 'off-line'.

Ice
madness  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 12:23:59 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
These alternate vMix windows are most likely modal dialogs, are they not? If so, until they are dismissed, the main interface is in a sense locked out.

What windows in vMix exactly are open when you loose control?
It may be possible for some to still be able to direct to the main gui interface.
admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 12:30:53 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Are you using the "Find" option in vMix shortcuts to locate the X-Keys buttons or are you using the X-Keys program to assign them to keyboard keys?
vMix has direct support for most x-keys controllers and it works just like MIDI, even if vMix has a window open or is minimized, the keys wills till work.

But this only works if using it directly from within vMix and not if it has been configured to work as an ordinary keyboard.
Cpilcher  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 12:41:47 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Yes I use the find option but I had already programmed the controller memory for the specific buttons, so vMix sees it as the Numpad #. this may be another case of over complicating things on my end. Let me try to clear the program on XKeys and let vMix find the button on its own. Thanks.
Cpilcher  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 12:51:21 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Ok, I cleared the memory on XKeys, and restarted vMix. Unfortunately, using the find feature shows no input from the controller. It doesn't show up in the list for midi devices (probably shouldn't) and I think this is why I mapped specific keys originally, as I couldn't get it to work natively. My shuttle pro and Korg Nano both are working perfectly on 17.0.0.83. I didn't install software for either... Do I need anything for XKeys?

Edit: It is the xKeys 32

http://xkeys.com/xkeys/xkr32.php
Cpilcher attached the following image(s):
XKR-32Backlight_1200.jpg (46kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
madness  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 1:34:50 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Awesome Rack mounted x-Keys. I wasn't aware of that model!

I have a 128 key Pi3 Matrix board...
http://xkeys.com/xkeys/a...i3%20Matrix%20Board.html

I should try and do something with it one day, and see if it works with vMix.
Cpilcher  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 2:04:26 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Yeah it fits into my setup really well. I hope it can work with vMix like the others... That switcher you posted looks good but for my needs the 32key keeps things tidy and doesn't over whelm the switching operator.

Chuck

Still need to add overlay shortcuts, but I want to get this little problem figured out before I go any further.
xkeys32.JPG (1,365kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

Cpilcher  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 3:06:53 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

madness wrote:
What windows in vMix exactly are open when you loose control?

Any Modal Dialog box. It's just a limitation with Auto Hotkeys. It directs the key press to vMix but then the keystroke goes to the menu that is active. If I press the "Take" key, which is the Numpad 0 key, it will scroll down in the menus as if you are pressing an arrow key.

But vMix doesn't see it Natively as other XKeys controllers apparently. I wiped the programed keys from the memory on the controller but vMix doesn't recognize any input from it...
Cpilcher  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 5:46:30 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Testing on my laptop has brought me to a workaround. I have found a program called BOME Midi Translator Pro, it can intercept many different user inputs, such as Keystrokes and convert them into virtual midi ports. I have run a successful test using my laptops keypad, and sending midi commands via BOME into vMix with no restrictions due to window focus. Ill have to run a full test once I setup my PC but at least temporarily I can switch video unhindered!

I would still like some confirmation however, whether I am doing something wrong in my settings since vMix does not recognize the controller natively. Thanks

Chuck

https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator
admin  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 6:45:46 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

So the XKeys 32 is directly supported but needs to be configured in "PID 1" mode.
The basic software for the XKeys should provide an option in one of the menus to do this, so have a look and let me know if this solves the problem.
Cpilcher  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 7:09:35 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Great I will take a look and let you know. I may have a few questions along the way but I will see what I can do.
Cpilcher  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 11:01:49 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Alright, I'm a little stuck. I can find a setting to change the PID, but none of the options will allow vMix to see any of the key presses on the XKEYS controller. It is listed as Device 1. The PID options are numbers 1279, 1280, 1281. But I've tried them all with no success. The PID is also referred to as Endpoints, but I'm not finding much information online about it. Any help you could give as far as what settings to select would be great.

Chuck
01.png (193kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
02.png (171kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

Cpilcher  
#14 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 11:25:00 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

UPDATE: After clicking around (and for some reason the numbers changed) I selected the last option (now number 1282) the USB Drivers ran through an install of some kind and now it is able to detect the key presses within vMix. It shows note inputs as if it is a MIDI controller, but it is not listed in the MIDI devices list. But I now have full functionality of my switcher regardless of what I do with the keyboard and mouse. Thanks for the help Martin, I am beyond excited right now.

Chuck

UPDATE 2: I thought I would need to keep the software installed for the device to function, but once it had been setup I uninstalled the Macro Works 3.1 software... As long as the XKeys controller is plugged in before you start the computer, it will work in vMix without programming any keys. If you unplug the device while Windows is running it will not detect when plugged back in, and you will need to restart the computer. Or possibly jump start the connection from within Macro Works. This is just me trying to break things, so I will know how to fix them if it ever happens during a production.
03.png (206kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

Cpilcher  
#15 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2016 4:41:34 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

So today I installed the Macro Works software on my Production PC. After configuring the shortcuts in vMix to the XKeys controller Everything was working great. After shutting down the PC and restarting I lost all of the control from XKeys. The shortcuts were saved with the MIDI setting on Channel 2 note 0 for example. After the restart the XKeys was recognized as Channel 1.

I changed all the shortcuts to point to Channel 1 and saved the preset with everything working again. After shutdown and restart the controller is now listed as Channel 2 again and none of the shortcuts will work with the keys.

I also have a Korg Nano 2 that gets registered as Channel 1, but I can't find any way to change the Channel per device.
Cpilcher  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 12:09:13 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

I updated vMix to the latest version. I stated more support for XKeys controllers and more options for the PID mode. Although the 32 keys controller wasn't listed as a supported device I was hoping it would work more reliably. As of now it still jumps from channel 1 to channel 2 on a computer restart. Currently I have a master Preset file that I make changes to and 2 "production" presets, one each for channel 1 and 2 that I use on each start. if one doesn't work when opened I can jump to the second version. But I fear if I forget to update the second preset I may run in to problems in the future if I make changes.

Chuck
admin  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 5:18:35 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Chuck,

Are you using two X-Keys devices by any chance?
The channel number is selected based on the order X-Keys devices appear in the system, so unless two are plugged in, it should always use Channel 1.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Cpilcher  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:23:14 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

No I only have the one unit. It only does the jump to a new channel after I have changed all the shortcuts to the current one. If I leave it alone it will always start as the wrong channel. I'm still not sure what setting to choose in the XKeys macro works software though. I have a post in the XKeys forum looking for clarification on how to setup PID correctly... Thanks.

Hardware:
XKeys 32
Korg Nano 2
Shuttle Pro v2
Scarlet 18i20
Cpilcher  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:19:22 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

UPDATE: I've been testing on my notebook, and I think my problem is Windows auto starts MacroWorks 3.1 on startup. When the software loads it clears my profile on the XKeys 32, the LED lighting is reset and I'm pretty sure it is creating a new profile. So I won't be able to tell for certain until tomorrow when I get back to my Production PC, but if I setup my profile and lighting on the XKeys and then make sure MacroWorks doesn't start with Windows everything works. I have also uninstalled the software completely on my notebook and I can unplug the device or restart without any problems.

But this is the exact solution I was looking for. I can switch video without worrying about window focus or keyboard command priorities. Thanks.

Chuck

UPDATE 2: after uninstalling all of the MacroWorks software I plugged in the XKeys 32 and it is working perfectly on my Production PC. Thanks for everything.