logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
corporatejames  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:43:44 AM(UTC)
corporatejames

Groups: Registered
Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Hi Guys

Got time to have a play today and thought about cases where I don't have a 1gb router/switch handy but have my
computer with a ASUS z97 Deluxe motherboard that has 2 1GB Network cards.

I connected my laptop to main pc with a 3m crossover cable I had handy in the garage.
First setup a static IP on different subnet range to test and successfully had 1GB connection
and NDI working great from the laptop webcam into the main pc and sending back the main pc VMix NDI outputs to laptop.

Second was the share the main pc's 1st Nic that has the internet connection so that the laptop could have internet on
private network that we setup using the network cable. To do this > Network sharing centre > change adapter settings
> right click main network card that has internet > select properties > then select sharing tab > tick allow other network users to connect through this computer network
connection and select the other network card as the device to bind the sharing though. Both computers should then give a dynamic private ip.

Bingo 2 pc's connected NDI and 1 network cable at 1gbs and can share cameras, audio and outputs between the two. This could be a method to manage vmix replay from another pc or other the person could be making clips to export to social media etc.

Updated: You don't need a crossover cable on newer network cards but will in older pcs.

thanks 3 users thanked corporatejames for this useful post.
ask on 4/28/2016(UTC), doggy on 4/28/2016(UTC), mjgraves on 5/19/2016(UTC)
ask  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:50:41 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Hi James. Yes I have been playing with this too, and also my wireless NIC and a Hotspot. If you are not wanting to use a crossover cable, a cheap gigabit switch is also a good way to expand the number of sources you can bring in. I have managed to setup a full lab of computers as sources and then bring each one in as inputs in this way.
corporatejames  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:58:52 AM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

ask wrote:
Hi James. Yes I have been playing with this too, and also my wireless NIC and a Hotspot. If you are not wanting to use a crossover cable, a cheap gigabit switch is also a good way to expand the number of sources you can bring in. I have managed to setup a full lab of computers as sources and then bring each one in as inputs in this way.

Yeap been testing Wifi too, just throwing ideas out there if people didn't think of it, plus didn't have GB switch handy with me today. So many users for NDI.
ovinas  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:00:47 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
With current NICs you don't need crossover cables. They have "Auto MDI-X": https://en.wikipedia.org...ent_interface#Auto_MDI-X
corporatejames  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:10:42 AM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

ovinas wrote:
With current NICs you don't need crossover cables. They have "Auto MDI-X": https://en.wikipedia.org...ent_interface#Auto_MDI-X

Yeap your correct but some pc do require crossover cable if connecting them both together without switch. Tested both cables and working. Thanks for reminding me.
Forgot I just got my new pc and had not thought of using the second nic until now. Either way both cables worked which is good.