logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BloodyIron  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2016 2:13:35 PM(UTC)
BloodyIron

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Dear Vmix Devs,

You guys rock. Your vmix product is awesome. So awesome we picked up a big license yesterday.

Now, this is me sharing my thoughts, not necessarily making demands here, please hear me out.

I've been using Windows since 3.11, and I'm at the point where I'm sick of the OS. I can get a lot more done with Linux, it's faster and more efficient, I don't have to worry about OS licensing for it, I don't have to wait for "Windows Update" to check for updates for days, etc.

I know that you have invested so much time and money into the MS ecosystem, and yes vmix works spectacularly as a result.

I want to throw my hat into the ring and say that as a paying customer I/we would want to see Linux support. When? I have no idea how long, so I'm not even postulating that.

All I'm saying is that we're fed-up being required to use Windows (with vmix and other programs). If you would be so kind as to consider that there are others out there that would want to see this on Linux, we would greatly appreciate it.

Even if you folks were to act on this, and other requests for Linux support, I know it would probably take upwards of 1+ years to deliver on. That's fully understandable.

I just want to share that there is demand for it out there, from paying customers. If you want to discuss this further, please let me know.

Otherwise, please keep making an incredible product! We chose vmix over others because you guys kick ass, and we've been watching you for years ;)
Mathijs  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2016 3:57:54 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
As Vmix is built around directshow, directx and d3d components, I do not think this is ever going to happen.
It would involve lots of work getting it to run on linux, as they would have to build everything from the ground up. It's not just a simple port.
BloodyIron  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2016 8:12:03 PM(UTC)
BloodyIron

I know this. But my request stands.

Mathijs wrote:
As Vmix is built around directshow, directx and d3d components, I do not think this is ever going to happen.
It would involve lots of work getting it to run on linux, as they would have to build everything from the ground up. It's not just a simple port.

madness  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2016 8:47:53 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Just to add to the linux issue...
You realize that The android OS is built on the Linux kernel I hope.

I think you'll find there are very few audio production apps on Android. Most all are on the IOS systems like iPad, or iPhone, because those systems are very low latency compared to the Android OS. I don't know that Linux is as efficient for the audio stream as what windows is.

I do not know this as fact. I only know it from listening to "All About Android" podcast. As the main host is a musician, and an Android user, he uses IOS for his recordings because the linux kernel used to build the Android OS has too much latency.

Just something to consider.
BloodyIron  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2016 9:11:03 PM(UTC)
BloodyIron

There are many companies that actually use Linux in realtime mode for audio and video production. While I know that iOS is good for it, Linux is completely competent too.

Just look at Ubuntu Studio.

madness wrote:
Just to add to the linux issue...
You realize that The android OS is built on the Linux kernel I hope.

I think you'll find there are very few audio production apps on Android. Most all are on the IOS systems like iPad, or iPhone, because those systems are very low latency compared to the Android OS. I don't know that Linux is as efficient for the audio stream as what windows is.

I do not know this as fact. I only know it from listening to "All About Android" podcast. As the main host is a musician, and an Android user, he uses IOS for his recordings because the linux kernel used to build the Android OS has too much latency.

Just something to consider.

ask  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2016 11:19:35 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
So as not to rehash this topic, please look here: http://forums.vmix.com/default.aspx?g=search#0|5 Enter search terms: Posted by=admin; Posts=linux
If vMix (Martin) has a different view now great, but I can't see the business case to change the architecture.
thanks 2 users thanked ask for this useful post.
madness on 4/26/2016(UTC), sinc747 on 4/26/2016(UTC)
BloodyIron  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2016 11:22:05 PM(UTC)
BloodyIron

My case is as a paying customer it's something I want to see. Also that URL didn't work...

ask wrote:
So as not to rehash this topic, please look here: http://forums.vmix.com/default.aspx?g=search#0|5
If vMix (Martin) has a different view now great, but I can't see the business case to change the architecture.

ask  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2016 11:24:44 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
BloodyIron wrote:
My case is as a paying customer it's something I want to see. Also that URL didn't work...

Enter the search terms.

As a paying customer I am sure you will be happy to fund the development like in any other commercial project.
madness  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:09:05 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
BloodyIron wrote:

ask wrote:
So as not to rehash this topic, please look here: http://forums.vmix.com/default.aspx?g=search#0|5

URL Worked just fine for me following the directions given with it.