logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
daniel514  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 2, 2016 10:49:03 AM(UTC)
daniel514

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hi

I like a lot AGC but it is problematic to use as it is:

Like many AGC, gain is cranked up too much on quiet moments, boost background noise to audible level and sound is clipping and when speech resume...

1-One enhancement could be a adjustable max gain level AKA: Threshold, example: 3 to 6db should be good enough to auto level speech variations without mentioned problem.

2-My dream solution: look-ahead AGC, Inspired on:
http://www.fabfilter.com...pro-c/using/timecontrols
http://help.izotope.com/...s_multiband_dynamics.htm
Such processing cause delay... easy compensated by video source equal delay!

Thanks

Daniel
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:20:33 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
You might find that BreakAway Audio has something that can perform final processing on your program stream to handle level imbalances. Some of their software installs to the Windows core and can process the output of vMix. Other versions have ASIO interfaces.

Michael

thanks 2 users thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
daniel514 on 4/8/2016(UTC), Jim_C on 4/21/2016(UTC)
daniel514  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:03:07 PM(UTC)
daniel514

Canada

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Yes it's a great application!
Do exactly what i look for!
Having this inside vMix would simplify the workflow!

Thanks

PS
I am using version 1.3... cant get 1.4 to works!
http://www.claessonedwards.com/download/

mjgraves wrote:
You might find that BreakAway Audio has something that can perform final processing on your program stream to handle level imbalances. Some of their software installs to the Windows core and can process the output of vMix. Other versions have ASIO interfaces.

Michael

thanks 1 user thanked daniel514 for this useful post.
mjgraves on 4/14/2016(UTC)
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:34:31 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

I'll tell you a wee story about how I came to use this app. I was tasked with working on a live streaming event. Not a broadcast, a conference. It was fully interactive, with participants at a dozen locations interacting via voice & video. It was basically a huge conference call.

It occurred in two languages (EN & FR), with professional interpreters live interpreting whatever was being spoken on the floor at any given moment. This is no problem as it's a process that my employer invented at the request of a UN agency.

The problem is that you have groups of people, some large some small, at various locations typically interacting with some kind of conference phone. In very large places they might be handing a wireless microphone around.

There's no dedicated audio mixer, or even control of audio level, at each location. Consequentially, the feed to the interpreters varied wildly. It was occasionally very loud, but most typically too soft, making interpretation very difficult.

Breakaway audio was installed to the interpreters computer to process the audio arriving from the various locations. It auto-leveling what they were hearing in a fashion much like a hyper-squashed FM radio station. It eliminated the dramatic swings in level, which made live interpretation possible.

It was tremendously valuable in this peculiar use-case.

Michael
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
stigaard on 4/21/2016(UTC)
Jim_C  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:33:18 PM(UTC)
Jim_C

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
mjgraves wrote:

Michael

Thanks for the tip on the software. It produces fabulous results on the vMix output, and audio in general. My el-cheapo work PC desktop speakers sound so much better.

From what I can tell through experimentation, the Audio Enhancer affects the output after the vMix mixer only correct? No way to get the Breakaway enhancements to also alter the ffmpeg stream audio sent internally from vMix?

Thanks again

Jim

mjgraves  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:03:30 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Jim_C wrote:
From what I can tell through experimentation, the Audio Enhancer affects the output after the vMix mixer only correct? No way to get the Breakaway enhancements to also alter the ffmpeg stream audio sent internally from vMix?

Jim,

Assuming that bought the $40 consumer version of Breakaway Audio, yes that's how it's supposed to work. There is a more costly version that includes the low-latency ASIO interface. You may be able to control where that gets put into the signal chain.

Alternatively, you may be able to some virtual audio cables to arbitrarily rewire what flows into where. It would take some experimentation. VBAudio's Virtual Audio Cables would bu a good, free way to tinker with the routing.

Michael
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
Jim_C on 1/17/2022(UTC)
Bandit62  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:52:51 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

have you tried the Compressor and gate settings in the audio settings?