logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mjgraves  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:18:18 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
To exercise the new NDI facility of vMix it makes a certain amount of sense to leverage the NDI tools that Newtek offers for free.

1. NDI Connect on my laptop

I had some difficulty installing Newtek's NDI Connect on my laptop for testing. My AVAST Pro anti-virus stopped the installer from registering some of the DDLs.

At first it wasn't apparent that it was the AV acting to cause this. So I tried the various options offered; abort, retry or ignore. It turned out the "ignore" was a very bad idea. It allowed the installed to complete its task, but left the laptop OS (Windows 10 64 bit) in a somewhat broken state.

NDI Connect would not run and various supporting services would crash when it was attempted. I resorted to taking the PC back to a previous restore point which was a few days earlier.

When I discovered that the AV was the issue I disabled it and the NDI Connect installer was then able to run normally. I've reported the issue to both AVAST and Newtek support.

2. NDI Connect on my desktop

Also, on my desktop NDI Connect complains that my "GPU may not be compatible with NDI Connect." It's an AMD Radeon HD7400 with 1 GB RAM. I cannot find any statement of what is required by NDI Connect.

Newtek support has been responsive, but rudimentary in their responses. For example, "Would you please run the installer as administrator?"

Further, they seem to be very early in their ability to support NDI. They don't even have support forum for NDI issues at the moment. I registered for their forum, but have yet to be granted access. t seems that it's not an automated process.

Just FYI....

Michael
AlanZ  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 2:57:31 PM(UTC)
AlanZ

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I got a message about the GPU driver needing updating. Connect would not recognize my c920 until I updated the graphics driver for the nvidia chipset. It still gives the GPU driver warning.
kane  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 3:41:42 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
The only anti-virus I use these days is Microsoft Security Essentials (also built into Win8/10). I've had too many problems with 3rd party AV causing more issues than they solve.

I'm not aware of any GPU requirements for NDI Connect. I know that nVidia GPUs is what most testing has occurred on, as that it was is used in TriCaster systems. Make sure your GPU driver is up to date.

You do have to be accepted to the NewTek forums, shouldn't take long. Post any NDI questions in the TriCaster section.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
Kelvin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 5:10:28 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
NewTekk's NDI Connect and NDI recorder both require CPUs with the AVX instruction set (Sandybridge and later) and the GPUs must have drivers with OpenGL 4.0. I have some older computers lying around and tried to install these tools without success. The NDI Monitor that is part of the NDI Tools download will work on older hardware.
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:47:24 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Kelvin wrote:
NewTekk's NDI Connect and NDI recorder both require CPUs with the AVX instruction set (Sandybridge and later) and the GPUs must have drivers with OpenGL 4.0. I have some older computers lying around and tried to install these tools without success. The NDI Monitor that is part of the NDI Tools download will work on older hardware.

NDI Monitor works fine on my 3.5 yr old HP desktop with AMD FX 6100 (6-core) and 1 GB AMD Radeon HD7400.

kjones9999  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 3, 2016 9:07:56 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
I did notice that vMix had difficulty finding an NDI source until I connected to it in the Newtek NDI monitor.