logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikehende  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 11:33:55 AM(UTC)
mikehende

Groups: Registered

Hey guys, someone directed to this forum for help. I am seeking to use a laptop to run DJ software by wireless connection from my yard to my rig which is located inside of my garage as I don't wish to use the 50' wired audio cord as this limits where in the yard I can use it. Just need to have the audio signal from the laptop connect wireless to my rig located inside of my garage. I am being told

"Newtek has recently introduced a new open standard called NDI. (Network Device Interface).
vMix is incorporating this new tech into its software, and making a free desktop capture software available for all NDI capable software to share with. Your DJ software's audio output can be made available in broadcast quality to other PCs on your network. For audio only, I should think your wifi should be adequate. You could then use the desktop capture on your transmitting PC to another pc connected to the rig, and a free version of the vMix 4 input SD software to input this audio, and playback thru your Home audio system.

It is said that this new technology can transmit 1080 & 4K video content over a wired 10GB network with only a few visual lines of latency. That's like microseconds. For audio only, the wifi bandwidth should be more than enough."

I don't mind minor latency for remote operation as my DJ software will be running a playlist as usual, main thing for me is no audio loss and no physical devices connected to the remote machine, if anyone here can help me with this, it will be greatly appreciated!
Cpilcher  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 11:54:14 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
NDI requires only a 1 gigabit network for up to 10 HD video streams. So you should be able to stream an audio stream over your WiFi without any trouble. vMix, has just released the Beta version 17 which now includes the NDI feature so everyone is getting used to the new technology. You should be able to use the Desktop capture feature of vMix and send that to your Laptop over your wireless network.

Chuck
mikehende  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 12:04:01 PM(UTC)
mikehende

Thanks Chuck so please bear with me while I try to fully understand everything which will be involved here. I will need 2 computers for this, my laptop with my DJ software from which I will be playing the music and another desktop pc physically connected to my mixer's Audio INPUT. The vmix software will be installed on the desktop pc connected to my mixer and I will use a "capture" feature of vmix to send wireless to my laptop to capture the audio, if this is correct, this means that no software will be installed on my laptop, is this correct please? If yes, I am not seeing a download option for vmix software on this forum?
madness  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 1:00:32 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
See this topic for download of the vMix 17 software that includes the new NDI capabilities.
http://forums.vmix.com/d....aspx?g=posts&t=5955
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 1:24:11 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Mike,
vMix is a fantastic piece of software, and with its NDI support simply fabulous!
But for your immediate needs, kind of overkill (until you grade up with video DJ-ing - haha).

I think VBAN would be better in your case http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/vban.htm
Never tried it, but I use his VoiceMeeter with great success and robustness.

There are also Audio over WiFi products on the market, eg http://audioengineusa.com/Store/W3-Wireless-Audio-Adapter.

Then you have professional (and semi professional) wireless systems from manufacturers like Sennheiser, Shure, AKG, and Behringer. For example the Sennheiser ew 100 g3 series. If you go for this, make sure the transmitter can take a line level signal (using 3,5mm) from your laptops output. And don't make your laptops audio out level too hot.

If you have a WiFi network in place, try the VBAN first - it's Donationware (no cost if it doesn't work).

Good luck!
thanks 2 users thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
mjgraves on 3/25/2016(UTC), mikehende on 3/26/2016(UTC)
vburel  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 3:59:27 AM(UTC)
vburel

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:
I think VBAN would be better in your case http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/vban.htm
Never tried it, but I use his VoiceMeeter with great success and robustness.

Thanks for these words, just would like to add that we are currently testing the VBAN-Receptor on iOS. If some of you are interested to participate to the beta program (Apple Test Flight), feel free to contact us with your e-mail related to your Apple Account.

The Interest with VBAN (apart its simplicity and ability to work on any kind of local network) is the possibility to use UDP Broadcast mode and consider a Switch or a WIFI point as radio Antenna to diffuse audio to any connected devices.

That's why we are currently building VBAN-Receptor on mobile devices, to propose new kind of P.A. System or very local broadcast solutions. It interests many use cases like Conference, Audio guide, Silent Concert, Collaborative P.A. System... and all that you will imagine...

VB

mikehende  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 6:36:42 AM(UTC)
mikehende

richardgatarski wrote:
Mike,

There are also Audio over WiFi products on the market, eg http://audioengineusa.com/Store/W3-Wireless-Audio-Adapter.

Wow, you've given me 2 options I can't help but look into, yes, I will try vban first, my main concern is audio volume and quality loss as I use high power with my rig so playing music at such high volume you tend to hear every little imperfection in the music. Some guys are telling me maybe I may simply need a better and stronger wifi connection so no freezing problems using VNC to remotely control the desktop. I will look into all options and will report back here when I get something which works. Thank you very much for the help Richard!
vburel  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 10:28:44 AM(UTC)
vburel

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
mikehende wrote:
I will try vban first, my main concern is audio volume and quality loss as I use high power

REM: There is no quality loss with VBAN since it transports native PCM format.

The only possible problem is the stream stability (given by the ability of your network to transport packet with a regular rate). If you have too much cut in the sound (shown as overload / underrun error) simply decrease the Network Quality parameter on the Receptor side (go to "slower" settings - to increase internal buffering - ).