logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gripreality  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2016 9:46:47 PM(UTC)
gripreality

Groups: Registered

I have an asset generator that is a linux system (backgrounds for GS) and I would like to be able to stream the desktop with low latency. I have found that the vMix Desktop Capture software does a nice job pushing pixels across my network without significant delay and would like to use it on my Linux (fedora) system. I could wireshark the packets and figure out how it works, or I could just ask for help. Any chance you can share with me what protocol you are using so I can apply it to my linux box?

Louis
Mathijs  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 6:51:06 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Better look into NDI, because that will be the way it works from vmix 17 and on.
You can already sign up at Newtek as a developer to get access to the NDI sdk. That way you can make the linux side ready, before NAB vMix17 will be here and you will be able to receive video from the linux machine. NDI is really low latency and really good quality video, upto 10 sources over a single 1000mbit ethernet network, while burning way less resources than the current desktop capture.

Don't try to reverse the current desktop capture, it will only be there for a few weeks more at most. ;)

Watch the two latest vMix Fun Time Live Show's on youtube, where this is explained.
thanks 1 user thanked Mathijs for this useful post.
gripreality on 3/27/2016(UTC)