logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Napamike  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2016 3:03:33 PM(UTC)
Napamike

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I participate in a nightly live program reporting on local politics. After the Windows 10 upgrade, the display driver crashes and the live image freezes regularly. The normal fix during the program is to kill the external output and restart it, but lately I have had to restart vMix to get it back. In both cases, it is preceded by a notification of a display driver crash. I would think that this is unique to my machine, but my friend, who is a regular user is having the same issue. Yes, my display drivers are up to date.

Last night I was doing a youtube live stream and was playing a long video into program. I walked away, only to come back seeing that vMix had crashed and shutdown. I have several live events coming that I wish to stream live and I can't have them crashing midstream, as to my knowledge, once the stream has stopped, you can't restart vMix and pick up the same live stream again.

Any help appreciated.

Mike
tnorrell  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2016 3:21:15 PM(UTC)
tnorrell

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I can tell you from much experience. That type of problem is going to be the drivers for your gfx or capture cards. Search the web for what other people are doing to resolve compatibility issues between the hardware you have and the new windows 10 OS.

Best of luck.
sinc747  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2016 7:06:41 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 163 post(s)
I recently dumped Windows 10 for stability reasons. I even made a video about my experience:

- Tom
corporatejames  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2016 9:33:35 PM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Napamike wrote:
Hi,

I participate in a nightly live program reporting on local politics. After the Windows 10 upgrade, the display driver crashes and the live image freezes regularly. The normal fix during the program is to kill the external output and restart it, but lately I have had to restart vMix to get it back. In both cases, it is preceded by a notification of a display driver crash. I would think that this is unique to my machine, but my friend, who is a regular user is having the same issue. Yes, my display drivers are up to date.

Last night I was doing a youtube live stream and was playing a long video into program. I walked away, only to come back seeing that vMix had crashed and shutdown. I have several live events coming that I wish to stream live and I can't have them crashing midstream, as to my knowledge, once the stream has stopped, you can't restart vMix and pick up the same live stream again.

Any help appreciated.

Mike

Also try unticking FlipEX in settings>Performance I used to get freezes on inputs until someone and Martin suggested this a couple months ago
Also make sure your using latest build of Windows 10 March 2016 with all updates applied

System is running pretty good at the moment....touch wood.
corporatejames attached the following image(s):
flipfx.jpg (139kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked corporatejames for this useful post.
Squier on 3/13/2016(UTC)
madness  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2016 2:16:12 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I too can attest that windows 10 really broke all the graphics drivers when they added DirectX12. Recently they've gotten better, but I don't know haw far I'd trust them, especially being as M$ forces the latest updates on you without really knowing if they will actually work or not. I'd recommend 7 or 8.1. I recently reloaded my machine with a dual boot config with both 8.1 and 10, so I can still try it. Currently 10 is working alright for me, but then again it was a complete fresh install.
corporatejames  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2016 7:10:40 PM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
madness wrote:
I too can attest that windows 10 really broke all the graphics drivers when they added DirectX12. Recently they've gotten better, but I don't know haw far I'd trust them, especially being as M$ forces the latest updates on you without really knowing if they will actually work or not. I'd recommend 7 or 8.1. I recently reloaded my machine with a dual boot config with both 8.1 and 10, so I can still try it. Currently 10 is working alright for me, but then again it was a complete fresh install.

Just reminder to anyone with drivers being updated
please use this tool to hind updates to the devices that you require to manually install drivers from the manufacturer.
Show or hide updates troubleshooter
Run it and select the devices that you don't want updates. Make sure you have your driver installed before running it
as it won't detect the Microsoft version of the driver when it is checking which hardware needs updating and providing you
with a list of those devices with a tick box to hide the update. Once done Windows Update won't automatically download the driver for that device again.