logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kubsix  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:16:21 AM(UTC)
kubsix

Groups: Registered

I'm looking to implement vMix in a church setting. I'm piecing together the PC build and I'm a little stumped on the best solution for capturing our sources. Here's what we have...

Input sources:
3 Sony DSR250 SD cameras with BNC connectors - Will update to HD at a later date
2 PC's - 1 PC runs background images, 1 PC runs overlays and videos

2 Outputs:
Output #1 - 1 projector on back wall
Output #2 - 2 projectors (split signal) to two side walls

PC Build:
MB: MSI Z97 w/ 3 PCIe 3.0 and 4 PCIe 2.0 slots
CPU: i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX960
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Newegg: https://secure.newegg.co...hDetail.aspx?ID=34926227

I think I'm on the the right track with the PC build but when it comes to capturing the sources I’m a little lost and overwhelmed with the options available. I’m thinking I’d like to of us all internal capture cards. I’m hoping to stay away from the real expensive options I’m seeing out there.

For capturing the cameras am I on the right track by using 3 Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Recoders? Would they be compatible with the BNC connectors? What other options are there?

For the two PCs they each have DVI output’s available. What's my best option? How about DVI to HDMI adapter and using a HDMI capture card?

Am I better of using USB for anything?

Looking for a little advice and gentle nudge in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

John K.
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 3:05:56 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 162 post(s)
John K.

In your planning, you might want to figure in that vMix 17 will be NDI compatible which means that any resource on the same network is available to your vMix PC. So the images, etc. on your two existing PC's would be available to your vMix PC with no additional cabling or devices needed.

- Tom
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 8:44:57 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ kubsix

From what I can tell, the Sony DRS250 outputs a Composite signal via the BNC connector so you are not likely to pick-up the signal with any of the newer SDI capture cards like the Decklink Mini Recorder.
You may be able to find some older analogue capture cards on-line at affordable prices (Osprey cards were the leaders of that era).
Another cheap and viable option might be Firewire, although you'll have to insure you are not using the same bus as the computer is unlikely to distinguish between similar cameras on the same bus. You may have issues with cable lengths and availability (my longest cable is 30 feet) but the signal is typically better than the Composite option.

Hope that helps some.

Ice
kubsix  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 7:17:32 PM(UTC)
kubsix

@ Tom

Thanks for the feedback. My concern with the desktop app is capturing the correct image. Essentially we need to capture the output to screen #2 from each of the PCs. Need to look into that more.
kubsix  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 7:21:28 PM(UTC)
kubsix

@ Ice

Thanks for the info Ice. I was certainly concerned about the BNC to SDI interface. The camera's also have an RCA video out. Any recommendations there? Might just have to wait or bite the bullet for new HD camera's. I'll look around for the older analog cards too as you suggested.

John K.